What to do with small IRA?

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Opinions needed.

I have a traditional IRA from years ago; less than $10,000.

I don't need the money now (gross from pension and CDs is ~$35,000 and I'm not spending all of that).

Options:
A) Slowly withdraw starting at 59.5 (2 years from now)

B) Withdraw starting at age 62 (when pension decreases) (thereby delaying SSA payments)

C) Convert to Roth (all at once or incrementally) and combine with existing Roth (~$25,000)

D) Roll over into TSP (so far untapped)

What are your plans for your TSP? Will you begin drawing monthly payments from it at 62? If so, (B) and (D) would be very similar.

I like (B) because of the lifetime increase in SSA payments. But if you plan to start drawing on your TSP at 62, it might be simpler to just roll it over into the TSP and draw on it from there.

What are your plans for your TSP? Will you begin drawing monthly payments from it at 62? If so, (B) and (D) would be very similar.

I like (B) because of the lifetime increase in SSA payments. But if you plan to start drawing on your TSP at 62, it might be simpler to just roll it over into the TSP and draw on it from there.

I just don't know.

As I said, I don't need any of the money (IRAs, TSP, US BONDS, etc).

Another question might be: what do I do with the money I do withdraw?

I never planned for the possibility of having money I don't need.

Maybe I should increase donations to charity.

I never planned for the possibility of having money I don't need.

Maybe I should increase donations to charity.

At 62, will you really be in a position where this is money you don't need? If so, donate to charity if that is something you value doing, and that is also a pretty tax-efficient thing to do.

You'll have to withdraw RMDs from your TSP when you reach 70 and a half years old.

You might want it for charity. Or, you could use it when selling your house and moving someplace else, a possibility that you have mentioned. Perhaps some other use for it will present itself to you as years pass.

If I were in your situation, I would roll it over into the TSP and then withdraw from the TSP via monthly payments starting at 62. You can change the amounts of these payments each year. So, you could begin by taking high enough payments to compensate for your decrease in pension at that age.

Once you start receiving SSA, you could either lower the monthly payments to $25/month (the minimum), or you could continue and invest, contribute to charity, or whatever you wish. (?)

Will the RMDs at age 70.5 or the TSP withdraws at age 62 move you into a higher tax bracket?

Khan, if Packrat's offer doesn't sway you, it's a nice amount to start up a charitable gift account with. Schwab has a $5K minimum initial contribution. The Khan Fund for ... has a ring to it!

Coach

I like C (convert to roth and combine), since it makes your portfolio simpler.

Opinions needed.

I have a traditional IRA from years ago; less than $10,000.

I don't need the money now (gross from pension and CDs is ~$35,000 and I'm not spending all of that).

Options:
A) Slowly withdraw starting at 59.5 (2 years from now)

B) Withdraw starting at age 62 (when pension decreases) (thereby delaying SSA payments)

C) Convert to Roth (all at once or incrementally) and combine with existing Roth (~$25,000)

D) Roll over into TSP (so far untapped)

It's easy for me to say since I'm not the one having to pay the taxes, but I'd convert it to your Roth. You will avoid any RMD's and if you don't need the money, you've created a tax free growth fund for your kids.JMO

Updating old posts

Still haven't decided what to do about TSP, IRAs, or anything else.

Might start increasing 'income' starting 2009.

I'd just roll it into your TSP. I had about $8,000 from a state retirement plan that I rolled into TSP. It was easy to roll it over to TSP.

Since your expenses are so low, you must be in the 0% tax bracket. This means that you should be convert to Roth IRA. You should even consider converting some of your TSP each year to a Roth IRA while you are in the such a low tax bracket. Do a little each year. Don't wait until it's too late!

1)Convert to Roth
2)Convert to Roth
3)Convert to Roth

have I made myself clear?? :)

Update to update

Still haven't decided what to do about TSP, IRAs, or anything else.

Might start increasing 'income' starting 2009.

Have finally decided.

Will convert/combine IRA(s) in 2008.

Will start withdrawals from TSP in 2009.

Will donate more and spend more and invest rest.

Back
Top Bottom