Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
part time GPS/GIS data collection - preferably in the Grand Canyon
There is such a j*b? That does sound attractive.

Is like those people hired by Google and Mapquest to drive around on the streets of new home construction sites?

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

One of the reasons I became a lawyer and went into private practice is that it allowed a great deal of independence. After you are a partner you take the work you want and you do it the way you see as best. That would be fine if you could fill up 100% of your time with work you really want and you got paid 100% of the time.

In another life I would like to own a native plant nursery.

I wouldn't mind an home organizer business, a bit of the show Clean House without the new stuff and a bit of Mission Organization. Psychology and the enjoyment of making things orderly. What more could I ask for? But I wouldn't be thrilled with the sales aspect. And I'd need a couple of nice young men to move furniture around.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting topic. Here's some thoughts:

1) Like NW-Bound, I've always said that if the job were truly fun, they could get volunteers to do it. (Note, there are a lot of volunteers working in national parks.)

The exceptions seem to be where the job requirements are so extreme that only a limited number of people can do it. (Lots of people would volunteer to play the Masters, but only a handful clear the entry requirement of having a realistic chance of playing the 72 holes at par.)

2) The book of Genesis has a good insight. Most work isn't inherently unpleasant. Adam had a job (he was the gardener) but he lived in paradise and enjoyed it. When he got kicked out, he still farmed, but suddenly he had to contend with "thorns and thistles". In a lot of jobs, the "gotcha" is other people who don't deliver when promised, or do expect the impossible, etc. I always figured they were the thorns and thistles in cubicle life.

3) Early in my career I went to an inhouse course on "career management". We did an exercise where we listed a couple dream jobs. Then, at the next session we filled out a priority list on characteristics of good jobs (time with family, high income, independence, security, travel, etc). It turned out that most people discovered their dream jobs didn't line up very well with some critical priorities. I was an exception, probably because I'm so analytical that I'd instinctively done this exercise before I picked a career.

All that aside, my personal dream jobs are: Pro Golfer (if I didn't have kids) or Philosophy Professor at a liberal arts college.

Both have high bars for admission. Nowadays, the gotcha for both could be PR work.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

Is like those people hired by Google and Mapquest to drive around on the streets of new home construction sites?
I just thought of this today as i passed a new speed limit sign and my gps's display adjusted accordingly. it would be boring, but i would def. do it....not a DREAM job tho
Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

Kind of like the Google, Mapquest stuff, but more scientific and less automated

Here's what I've been looking at:

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Perfect - looks like a 13 month term
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #46

Well, nothing to do with my current vocation (law) that's for sure.

Things I have considered:

1. writer: I actually have half a fantasy novel which I started during the Asian crisis/SARS period and got too busy to finish

2. restaurant owner/manager: I like cooking and presenting food, but would probably not be interested in putting in the hours after I FIRE

3. working for one of the major auction houses dealing with art: no qualification but willing to spend the time. I've also considered opening my own gallery but probably couldn't justify the investment needed

4. professional sailor: at my skill level (and I'd need to brush up my skills as I haven't raced for well over a decade), it wouldn't pay but I'd do it for the fun

When I was younger I wanted to be a pilot but being red/green colour blind ruled that one out.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
USAJOBS - Search Jobs
Yeah, it looks too much like w*rk for me.

13 months extendable to four years -- by you or them?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #48

Some stuff you just can't make up

Katy Perry's breast-wrangler: Job of the day - Kansas City Star

Katy Perry's breast-wrangler: Job of the day

Lots of pictures floating around today of Katy Perry frolicking in a fountain on the set of her new music video for her song "Starstrukk."
But the one pic that caught our eye was this one of Katy and a guy who we assume to be her breast-handler.
Never leave home without one.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #49

forensic scientist - like to catch the bad guys and free the innocent ones
Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

If I could turn back the calendar a few decades, I'd like to be a telegrapher/radio operator on a ship or a telegrapher/station agent for a railroad at a rural station.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

On the flip side of this coin, I cannot imagine a worse job:

One Reporter’s Lonely Beat, Witnessing Executions

Quote:
Of all the consequences of shrinking newsrooms, one of the oddest is this: Fewer journalists are available to watch people die. But Michael Graczyk has witnessed more than 300 deaths, and many of those were people he had come to know.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Kind of like the Google, Mapquest stuff, but more scientific and less automated

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Page linked at USAJobs indicated j*b was not available for viewing.
Just out of curiosity, what was the position?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

In hindsight,

I had 2 very good jobs, because I was able to help others. First, was a Social Security Administration Claims Representative. Second, was working on the Employee Protections Provisions of the Mass Transit statute, which involved mediating labor disputes in bus and subway systems. Believe me, I didn't realize it at the time, but now that I am retiring in 2 weeks, I can see that I improved the retirement and working lives of others. This meant that I could look myself in the mirror each day.

My other jobs involved firing and disciplining people in the Federal government. Now those jobs caused a few sleepless nights, even though they did it to themselves and I just did the paperwork.

Now, I am looking forward to getting a part-time job in a bookstore, because I can spend hours in a bookstore without noticing time passing.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Umm... I never golf, and never will. But I can't think of a gotcha here. Do golfers suffer any injuries like tennis players with their elbows? Adversaries hitting them on the head with a golf club? Hazard of stray balls? Anything?
I guess travel, and pressure, and lack of privacy if you're really successful. The pressure would be both on each shot, and the general week to week pressure of making cuts and placing high enough to stay on the tour. I'm sure there's a chance of back or shoulder problems or other issues that could harm your swing, but other than that and the competition, it all seems under your control.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more head cases out there where guys suddenly just can't hit the ball straight anymore. Baseball has a few cases. Steve Blass and Rick Ankiel were successful pitchers (Blass for many years, Ankiel was still an up-and-comer) who suddenly couldn't throw strikes anymore. Sports Illustrated author Pat Jordan wrote a book about how this happened to him in the minors. Steve Sax had a time where he couldn't make the easy throw to first. And there was a catcher, who's name escapes me, that had a lot of trouble actually making the throw back to the pitcher. It seems you don't hear about golfers who suddenly go from the tour to being a 5 or 10 handicap.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #55

My dream job: The producer/camera man/recruiter of Girls Gone Wild.

My previous dream job that I thought I would be able to do after ER is dance instruction, but after seeing how my current dance instructor has to sell like a maniac to unwilling buyer (mainly me not wanting to shell out another $2600 for 26 private lessons because cheaper options abound), I have decided that dance instruction is probably not for me either.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Usher for a professional football team...or baseball team.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I love to write too.

My dream job though would be a long distance car driver. I love to drive and I love road trips.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #58

I'd rather be a race car driver.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well paid musician, making beautiful music and getting paid to do it, that's the ticket!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Coffee Barista. I have incredible envy everytime I walk into a coffee shop, and always wish I was a Barista. No, not an owner, I want to be an employee. You get to make people happy by making their drink, take pride in your work, listen to cool music all day, and interact with people. The occasional jerk that orders coffee will be out of your life in minutes. If you make a mistake, there are no dire, long-term consequences--- you simply make another cup. If only I could support my family on a Barista's salary.....