Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Page linked at USAJobs indicated j*b was not available for viewing.
Just out of curiosity, what was the position?
The job (Physical Scientist) was originally listed as being open until 10/20 so they probably pulled the ad. I wish I would have pdf'd it. It was for field data collection for hydrographic studies in the Grand Canyon, taking GPS observations of river features, flora and fauna, etc. Then the data is compiled in a GIS (geographic information system) for analysis as to how the features affect hydrography in the area. I'll keep my eye open for other similar job posts.

Another part time job I'm interested in is for Homeland Security, CIA, etc analyzing aerial photography, preparing maps, etc. I havent found anything on this yet
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This job may have crossed my mind a time or two:

The Loin in Winter: Hefner Reflects, and Grins

Then I, too, could have a twinkle in my eye. (Of course, I would try -- unsuccessfully, no doubt -- for a less lecherous look.)

Hefner.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

So far I am doing what I dreamed about doing...

1) Retired from the Navy after 20 years-8 months

2) Work part-time at the local Air Force Base Golf Course

3) Coaching a High School Baseball team & Middle School Basketball team

4) Going to school working on a Master's Degree in Sports Management

All of them pay me $$$$ and it's fun!
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

As for me? I never want to work at another job again, but if the bottom fell out and I needed the money, I guess the job I would mind least would be a programming job that I could do by telecommuting. As long as I am designing the job, let's make it a FORTRAN programming job completely done by telecommuting.
Want2, I never knew you were a programmer. I was a programmer. Mainframe cobol, pl1, db2, etc. I agree, programming would be my ideal job, .... IF ...... one could control the assignments. At some times, I did almost have complete control of my work schedule, timelines, etc, I was allowed to telecommute 3 days a week, and it was the perfect job.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how much programming W2R has done, but most engineers do some programming to find numerical solutions to engineering problems. See her degrees. In fact, some computer programming has always been part of an engineering curriculum. In the old days, FORTRAN was de rigueur, but now I guess they use C or a higher level and easier to use package such as Matlab.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Want2, I never knew you were a programmer. I was a programmer. Mainframe cobol, pl1, db2, etc. I agree, programming would be my ideal job, .... IF ...... one could control the assignments. At some times, I did almost have complete control of my work schedule, timelines, etc, I was allowed to telecommute 3 days a week, and it was the perfect job.
I have never been hired solely as a programmer, although in the past I have done all my own numerical modeling programming rather than having an assistant do it. I like programming, and I think it would be at least as entertaining as some of the other jobs people have listed on this thread! Especially if one could control the work schedule as you say.

Out of the blue I was offered a job as a programmer last year, but (1) it paid the same as I am currently making, (2) it didn't involve telecommuting, (3), the work schedule was not relaxing, (4) it wasn't a good direction to go for career development, and (5) for me the bottom has not fallen out yet, and (6) I plan to retire in a couple of weeks! Still, it was intriguing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
what was is your dream job
Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what was is your dream job

Cougar trainer

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post868767
Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Being optimistic there, sir?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Cougar trainer
Typo alert! I'm sure you meant Tamer.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my dream job during highschool/college making kayaks. I was in complete charge of the small parts department(just me) making seats, hatches and paddles. 20 years later working as a Aerospace engineering, I realized what aspects of the kayak job I liked. The kayak job didn't require me to work with alot of people, I was in charge (of a department of 1), and as long as there was a full small part inventory, nobody hassled me.

Engineering has given better pay, but, I dont find working with people very pleasurable. I will continue this path until i am financially independant, but, my new dream job will be a snowplow driver. I looooove winter storms and if people piss me off in the big truck, I will mess them UP!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Right now I program mainly in python and C#, both for web and embedded. Use SQL a lot too.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Male gigolo.......just kidding...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Out of the blue I was offered a job as a programmer last year, but (1) it paid the same as I am currently making, (2) it didn't involve telecommuting, (3), the work schedule was not relaxing, and (4) for me the bottom has not fallen out yet, and I plan to retire in a couple of weeks! Still, it was intriguing.
Only two weeks left!!! Have you cleaned out your office yet?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Only two weeks left!!! Have you cleaned out your office yet?
Absolutely. All the drawers, file cabinets, other cabinets and closet are empty, and the office supplies are piled up on the counter opposite my computer. I have transferred all of my computer files and paper files to the appropriate people. My work computer is pristine and ready for the next person. All my personal stuff is at home, and my few remaining work assignments are in my in-box.

I am using vacation time, but that will end on Wednesday and I will actually work for the last week and a half. Well, sort of! Mostly I will be doing my exit clearance, having my farewell party, and killing time.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Male gigolo.......just kidding...........
Just kidding eh? .......hmmmm....
Old 10-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #76
Dryer sheet aficionado

Haven't seen this one yet - management consultant. I have no desire to do something like that, but it always seemed to me to be a dream job, based on 30 years of experience in the corporate world. During that time, we've had some of the "best" in the business come in to tell us how to run the business, and here's what I have concluded the job is:
1) Schmooze the CEO and tell him how great he is, but how badly the company needs your help.
2) Convince the board that your "new" approach will save them millions or billions. Actually, the approach is either common sense, or just the same approach used 10 years ago.
3) Re-use the same program used at hundreds of other companies - but put a new company logo into the Powerpoint slides.
4) Rake in the dough.
My apologies to any management consultants for over-simplifying and obviously mis-representing many good ones.
SciFiFan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan53 View Post
Haven't seen this one yet - management consultant....
2) Convince the board that your "new" approach will save them millions or billions. Actually, the approach is either common sense, or just the same approach used 10 years ago.
Watching from the outside the phrase i heard a lot was that the new consultants were going to fix things by "turning them around". Every couple years, new consultants would come in to turn things around. So i'm really simple and just didn't understand how the company kept missing going in the right direction as it kept getting turned around and around and aroun...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am using vacation time, but that will end on Wednesday and I will actually work for the last week and a half. Well, sort of! Mostly I will be doing my exit clearance, having my farewell party, and killing time.
As others, I am curiously awaiting to see your new screen name. Congrats on your retirement.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As others, I am curiously awaiting to see your new screen name. Congrats on your retirement.
Thank you! It is a secret but I think the Admins know because we all discussed it "behind the scenes" a few months ago. I will ask them to change it on November 9th (my ER day). Then I will post, so that everyone knows.

Dream job comment
Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #80
Dryer sheet wannabe

Dream job comment

Enjoyed reading responses to this thread. For me a dream job is "early retirement" or "semi early retirement" where what I choose to do with my time is less driven by how much it pays, and more for what I get out of it. So for me -- today -- but who knows for tomorrow -- it would be engaged in activities focused around building or inventing something unique. Tomorrow it might be opening a small brew pub where I can take my home brewing hobby to the next level. The next day it might be trying to invent something more practical and cost effective in generating electricity for the home. I do agree with one thread response, that I do have a fear that if I make a avocation into a vocation, there is the risk of making it just another job. Seperately, there was a comment made about how we tend to envy people who have found their passion. I struggle with this. While I would love to find an all encompassing passion, I sometimes wonder if the "search" might be more fulfilling than the "destination".
QMAN is offline   Reply With Quote