Join Early Retirement Today

What was/is your dream job?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What was/is your dream job?

This could be a fun one. May seem odd on this forum (for those who despise working), but the first job thread did reasonably well so why not?

I am 55 now, but all along I've thought:

1) Lead guitar in a rock band (35 years ago mind you, and I didn't want to be the "vocalist/front man") ie, Eddie Van Halen without the drugs/alcohol.
OR
2) Accomplished restaurant chef (not a celebrity chef) ie, Thomas Keller Rick Bayless or Alice Waters

...would have been my dream jobs. I was good at math & science and ended up an Engineer, go figure...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Algebra teacher. I was good at very quick, accurate tasks (and math/science), became a pharmacist.
SlowTwitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #3

Gigolo.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was younger my dream job was video game tester. What could go wrong with playing games all day? Turns out it sucks nothing but same every day drudgery.

Then I wanted to be a chef. Turns out it's crap hours when all your friends are making plans for Saturday night you're planning on being in a hot kitchen.

Travel writer, hey who wouldn't want to travel to exotic locations for free? Nah I read a book by a Lonely Planet writer it's high stress deadlines little pay and lots of work.

I guess I'll stick with software for now.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTwitcher View Post
Algebra teacher. I was good at very quick, accurate tasks (and math/science), became a pharmacist.
I did that one for a couple of years along the way, and you didn't miss anything. It looks like a lot more fun from a student's perspective than it really is. There is a lot of homework to grade in the evenings, the students can be smart-alec'y, and the school administration could care less if the students are mathematically literate as long as you pass the star football player.

As for me? I never want to work at another job again, but if the bottom fell out and I needed the money, I guess the job I would mind least would be a programming job that I could do by telecommuting. As long as I am designing the job, let's make it a FORTRAN programming job completely done by telecommuting.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

As an airplane nut and private pilot, I always dreamed of being an airline pilot. I had visions of driving the heavy metal to exotic locations, staying in nice hotels and eating well between flights, a six-figure salary to allow me to live the good life.

I've also talked to enough airline pilots to know that for many of them, it's seldom as glamorous as my vision.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This could be a fun one. May seem odd on this forum (for those who despise working), but the first job thread did reasonably well so why not?

I am 55 now, but all along I've thought:

1) Lead guitar in a rock band (35 years ago mind you, and I didn't want to be the "vocalist/front man") ie, Eddie Van Halen without the drugs/alcohol.
I wanted to be Eric Clapton's bass player, but WITH the drugs and alcohol. And the groupies.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I wanted to be Eric Clapton's bass player, but WITH the drugs and alcohol. And the groupies.
I wanted to be Grace Slick's groupie.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a kid, I wanted to be either a cowboy or an 'army guy'. But at some point in time, reality reared it's ugly head, and I found out that there's not too much call for a cowboy in north-central Illinois....and I didn't want go southward to places like Texas, 'cause it's too dang hot down there, and I didn't want to go to, say, Wyoming because it gets too snowy out there.

Reality also helped me come to the conclusion that being an 'army guy' could easily make you a target for 'army guys' on the opposing team! Not my Idea of "fun"! I prefer to shoot at things that don't shoot back, like squirrels, rabbits, beer cans, and that sort of stuff!

So I guess I ended up in maybe not a 'dream job', but it wasn't a real nightmare either....decent pay, decent benefits, decent hours, (mostly) decent co-workers.....and BEST of all, the ability to retire early!!! BINGO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
As for me? I never want to work at another job again, but if the bottom fell out and I needed the money, I guess the job I would mind least would be a programming job that I could do by telecommuting.....
I don't EVER want to be employed again either!!! However, like you say, "if the bottom fell out"....me, I'd become a 'pan-handler'....NO boss, NO taxes, NO set hours, NO set location!!! "Hey, buddy, can ya spare a dime dollar or two?"
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #10

Ski instructor ... might still happen if we move to the lake full time.

Golf instructor ... in my dreams (I NEED lessons).
Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #11

A special collections curator at someplace like the Getty or Sotheby's or Christie's.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

With the definition of a job being an activity that someone pays you to do, I am afraid that there is always a gotcha in there somewhere. Well, if it is all fun, why doesn't the person who pays you do it himself?

For a time, I followed Anthony Bourdain's TV episodes. Being somewhat of a foodie (but I am not yet ready to pay for Thomas Keller's expensive dinner like the OP has done) in addition to loving travel, I got interested in his adventures despite his often vulgar language (it is already tamed down on TV - he appears a lot worse in real life). You would think that Bourdain's was a good job to travel to interesting places, and to eat "interesting" food at somebody else's expenses.

I read a couple of his books, and yes, he loves what he is doing now a lot more than being a chef, but it is not without drawbacks. He lamented of several times being told by his insisting producer that he had to eat some gross local food for shock effects. Thanks, but no thanks. Though nobody will ever pay me to be a traveler like Bourdain or Zimmern, I'd rather pay my own way and travel more modestly in order to be allowed to choose my own food.

I like my part-time work now. It allows me extended free time off to contemplate the meaning of life, to do house exterior staining , and to BS here in this forum. I have nobody to supervise, no budget to manage. I was spared of most bureaucratic BS. Performance assessment is most simple; if they like what I produce, we continue. If we cannot come to a mutual agreement, I walk. It works well for my clients, and it works well for me too. And I can "afford" to have this job because of the money saved by a life-long LBYM philosophy.

Now, only if I can have a bit more control over my time-off periods. There are always fractious infighting at any Megacorp, and they have to settle between themselves on what and how to do things. Hence, I have to wait and be on call. A smaller client I have for 1099 jobs is affected even more by the economy, and they have little control over their work load.

So, I get to go to interesting places, meet "interesting" people , doing things that are easy for me, and get paid reasonably well. It is not a dream job, but I am not complaining.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #13

I would have liked to teach Spanish in one of your small historical prestigeous college towns. But teenagers no....please
Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #14

Maybe a Park Ranger. Have no idea about the hours or pay. But the view would be great. And you get to meet folks from all over (and they think you're an expert )
Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #15

Playboy Bunny wardrobe fitment tailor.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Resident poet at a small college on the New England coast.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I like my part-time work now. It allows me extended free time off to contemplate the meaning of life, to do house exterior staining , and to BS here in this forum. I have nobody to supervise, no budget to manage. I was spared of most bureaucratic BS. Performance assessment is most simple; if they like what I produce, we continue. If we cannot come to a mutual agreement, I walk. It works well for my clients, and it works well for me too.
What do you do?
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Designing electronic "stuff", both hardware and software. Analytical work on large systems. No Web software, no Windoz stuff, no Oracle, no database, the kinds of things that other people do. I wish I could say more, but can't in order to maintain anonymity.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

My dream job would be to be a writer . I picture myself working and living in a brownstone or another old house somewhere in New England .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My dream job would be to be a writer.
Then, you would have writer's mental block, and have to avoid phone calls from your editor reminding you of the advance that you have already spent.