Join Early Retirement Today

What was your magic Number? Was : Survey finds $880,000 is magic number
Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
gone traveling

What was your magic Number? Was : Survey finds $880,000 is magic number

?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was or is or will be?

The more I have the more I want. Right now, I think I would be really happy if I could see another digit in my number. No, I am not going to add digits to the right of the decimal point and look down to the penny. To the left of the decimal point, you hear?

It's not that I am unhappy now, but if I have more, I can do a few more things, like always flying 1st class or business seat.

Hmm... I may not get there in my lifetime. Better start thinking about how much lower I can go from that nice number and can still pay for better air travel without grimacing. I'll work on this, but I know it's more than what I currently have.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If I could get an extra zero on the left of the decimal point, I wouldn't be posting so much here. Money would be a distant afterthought.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Surely, you would post here to brag about it, would you not? I will envy, but still congratulate you (then beg for your trading algorithm).

Zeros to the left of the decimal point are actually very easy though.

Oh, you did not say non-leading zeros.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's not that I am unhappy now, but if I have more, I can do a few more things, like always flying 1st class or business seat.
It always seems to be double my current net worth.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
There is a term for that - accommodation.

"A Gallup survey asked people who made $10,000 a year, "Who is wealthy and happy?" Their response was, "That's simple-people making $50,000 a year." So Gallup went to folks making $50,000 and asked the same question. Their response was, "People making $100,000." For people making $200,000, the sense of who is wealthy and happy was a couple of million dollars. We tend to push the bar above and beyond where we are, no matter where we are, because of accommodation. "

Article: What-Happy-People-Know
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

$3m in net worth.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, my Lucky Number is 8. So the $880,000.00 is fine but we would like $8,888,888.00 even better. But for now, anything with 8's is just fine.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:31 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My magic number was $2m.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #10

Time > Money
Old 04-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #11

I like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
But I like this even more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Right now, I think I would be really happy if I could see another digit in my number. No, I am not going to add digits to the right of the decimal point and look down to the penny. To the left of the decimal point, you hear?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

My number was 3 million, but that was 30 years ago!
Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Net investable wealth > $10MM

I have a shot at it, dependent on equity market performance.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Administrator

I think that many older members may find that their magic number is/was considerably less than an $880K portfolio (excluding real estate). This would be especially likely for those with a paid off house, no dependents, and living in low COL areas, who have reached SS age and/or have a small pension, and who do not regard expensive international travel as one of their core activities. I fall in that category.

Younger retirees may need more to bridge the gap to SS and/or pension and to last for more than 30 years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Our magic number was always a million, no reason whatsoever, first as net worth and then as investable $$. Still amazed that we reached it.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have changed my idea of the magic number many times. The truth is the "number" is relative to spending. No matter how many times and ways I run FireCalc, it keeps spitting out successful - 100% - results. I can't explain why, but I just don't believe it yet.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #17

I imagine a magic number depends on availability of other sources of income, such as SS or a pension. In my case, there was no magic number, just a BS bucket that was overflowing.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This always comes up so I'll do it this time........ It's pretty meaningless to talk about "magic numbers" without the context of whether or not some ongoing source of retirement income (not derived from the investment portfolio) will be involved. For example, a retiree with a $70k retirement income from a cola'd pension and SS plus a $200k investment portfolio seems better off than a retiree with only $20k of SS and a 5X bigger $1MM investment portfolio.

My own "magic number" was the amount I had on the day that MegaCorp fire'd my sorry ass and booted me out the door and across the parking lot. Leaning on my car and wondering where my briefcase went while I was sliding across the asphalt, I decided I wasn't "fire'd" but that I was "FIRE'd." That was 9 years ago, at age 58, and I can't even remember exactly how much I had stashed away on that day to call my "magic number."
Old 04-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
I have changed my idea of the magic number many times. The truth is the "number" is relative to spending. No matter how many times and ways I run FireCalc, it keeps spitting out successful - 100% - results. I can't explain why, but I just don't believe it yet.
It's easier to believe when some life events make you feel more mortal.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

A sufficient amount to provide a 100% success rate in FIRECalc when assuming conservative future ROI, life expectancy in the upper quintile of IRS actuarial tables, and expenses equivalent to the 5 years prior to retirement. And that amount was less than $880k, although including a NPV for pensions it was more than that. While some may claim that using pension NPV is not a prudent planning assumption, I didn't see ignoring it and continuing to w*rk prudent, either.

Now, if only I had spent more money during those 5 years, perahps FIRECalc would have told me to keep w*rking so as to yet be striving to reach a higher 'number'