Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave one month notice but then again I was working only 2 days a week so not counting the day I gave notice I worked only 9 more days.

I was already a bit of a ghost worker because I was there only 2 days a week. And I worked on mainly one project (with people outside my division) so it is not like I had lots of coworkers coming over to me much any more. I still attended those annoying biweekly management meetings but there was little mention of my upcoming retirement.

I was told who would be inheriting each of my other duties so I put together emails on the topics and folders with key info. I sorted out all the stuff on my large cubicle tabletop into piles so others could take what they needed. But I had no official meetings with anyone who was inheriting my few projects. As for the one main project, my goal was to finish it by my last day, which did, barely, with less than an hour to spare.

They had a little gathering at my desk to give me a card and few farewell trinkets (including $160 in cash they did not spend on a luncheon I declined to have - I hated them). But nobody accompanied me downstairs at quitting time, so I had to turn in my ID card to the building security after I went through the exit turnstiles.

All in all, rather uneventful which was just fine with me.

But the trip home on the trains was a battle to hold back tears as I neared my home station and walked home. It felt amazing but strange at the same time knowing I would never be taking that long, awful, most despised commute ever again! When I went through the front door of my apartment, I yelled out, "I'm Free!" as I dropped my stuff on the floor and just stood there for a minute after closing the door.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes, but will you fly away in a helicopter?
Maybe they will, but as I was watching a James Bond movie last night, remember what always happened to the helicopter just after it flew away from the latest SPECTRE hideout?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I noticed my boss in mid Jan 11, and told him I'd like to leave in Feb, Mar at the latest. He panicked and begged me to delay, 'it will take quite a while to find your replacement' (turned out he gave the position to the internal candidate I spent 15 years developing, as I expected all along...). The company had been good to me for the most part, so I agreed. We set a date that was 5 months out, but I told him I did not want it announced until 3 weeks before I left. After thinking about it for a while, he asked that we announce 3 months in advance. I told him it was a mistake, but he was intent, so I agreed.

As expected, it was awful to work with people (local, but especially Corp & field) for 3 months when they knew I was leaving so far in advance. Some outside people were afraid to involve me in projects that might not conclude before I left, others decided they'd try to bury me in projects before I left (might as well get all they can out of me). I was the site manager, so fortunately I did not have a problem with being excluded from anything, they all (about 80 people) reported to me until the last day. When I left on Jun 30th, I was beyond ready to go...

I agreed to an announcement well in advance against my better judgement, I never should have given my boss that much notice - 'no good deed goes unpunished.'

As for time passing, Apr and May were horrible, days just seemed to drag on forever. When Jun came around with only 4 weeks left, time started to pass quickly again (thank goodness), though I don't know why.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
But the trip home on the trains was a battle to hold back tears as I neared my home station and walked home. It felt amazing but strange at the same time knowing I would never be taking that long, awful, most despised commute ever again!
Quote on the cover of this week's Forbes attributed to Sir Richard Branson: "The idea of backing off - it just seems such of horrible waste of everything I've learned."

But then again that might pale in comparison to
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
When I went through the front door of my apartment, I yelled out, "I'm Free!" as I dropped my stuff on the floor and just stood there for a minute after closing the door.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
I agree 100%, that is why I am surprised people give such long notices. ssword expired and I didn't even bother to recover it.
I gave 6 months notice because I did NOT want to be dragged to meetings, involved in work drama, and have to take classes for things that I would have no effect on and I did not want to effect me. People left me alone with the exception of a few people who coveted some of the office supplies and doo-dads I had accumulated.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a lot of visitors in my last month. Every single one of them wanted to know how I could afford to retire at 58, and what they needed to do to be able to do the same.
Including my boss.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #27

I plan to give 2 weeks notice, but someone in HR will get about a month's notice because the retirement office verify employment at some point. In any case, it would take them months to get a replacement and even if I give them more notice, they still won't start looking until I'm almost out the door (they like to leave positions vacant for awhile). I'm sure my final time will be documenting my duties, but it won't do them much good because much of what I do is fixing problems. I'm not so good that I can anticipate issues that come up and know how to fix them in a document.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm currently living through this experience as I am gone as of the 27th. The one thing that appears to me is that I am not being included in some of the changes for me and another manager who is leaving at the same time. Bothers me a bit now, as I want to see the organization do good but I should get over it around April Fool's Day my first official day of retirement. Has a nice ring to it. My boss has not been around the difficult times we have had over the last 5 or 6 years so her perspective is different than if she experienced things first hand.

19 w*rking days to go.

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012
Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoft View Post
A new worldwide standard for announcing a retirement has been set. If the pope can give two weeks, then certainly anyone else can also.
+1
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #30

My situation was a little different in that I only decided to ER about 2 months before my last day of w*rk.

After we finished renovating our "empty nest" home and sold our former house and I bought a new car (cash), I was looking at our financial status at the end of the 2nd quarter and realized for the first time that we were good to ER even though I had always planned to w*rk until 58 (5 years longer). My BS bucket was overflowing, so DH and I talked it over for a month or so and in August I decided to go for it. It made a huge difference in pension and retiree medical to stay until 10/1 instead of leaving earlier, so the date was a no brainer.

I gave my boss 6 weeks notice assuming she would want to keep it just between us for a couple of weeks, but she started telling people right away. After she and her boss both gave a couple of tries to talk me out of it, they got the message and we started working on transition. It went very smoothly - day to day was pretty normal up to the last week - after I ran my last Monday staff meeting I started turning things over to my successor and cleaning out files, etc. Finished up about 3pm on Friday and since I w*rked in a different office from my management chain, I dropped my badge off with the local HR person and asked her to figure out what to do with it. Very strange feeling to walk out of the office that day and into the rest of my life. Still keeps getting better!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post

I gave my boss 6 weeks notice assuming she would want to keep it just between us for a couple of weeks, but she started telling people right away.
How much notice to give is a question I need to answer. I have 30+ years at a mega corp in a "C" level job. If I leave on "good terms" - I get around 150k/ yr for 10 yrs. I was thinking about 6 months notice, but perhaps it should be more like 12 months or more?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #32

Ask them if there is a layoff coming, and if so that you volunteer to get laid off.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
How much notice to give is a question I need to answer. I have 30+ years at a mega corp in a "C" level job. If I leave on "good terms" - I get around 150k/ yr for 10 yrs. I was thinking about 6 months notice, but perhaps it should be more like 12 months or more?
I mentioned it to my boss very unofficially, a sort of "I'm thinking about this" thing, 6-12 months before I left. Our selling our house (after we had moved into our second house) was the tipping point as I figured our expenses were that much lower and our nestegg higher from the proceeds from the sale of our main home and I "officially" gave notice about a month after we passed papers on our main house and a month before my last day of work. Since I had so much accrued vacation after my last day of work I was "on vacation" for a couple months until my last day on payroll. It was a good transition in that since I was on vacation I could interrupt and respond if anything important arose and I was still covered by health insurance and my vacation pay payout got into the next tax year.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #34

I'm nearing the end of my final months and it hasn't been too bad. Once I trained my replacement and agreed to working 1-2 days a week for more training past April 1st in exchange for the company buying my stock, all has gone well. Very few meetings and my replacement is handling most of my tasks.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #35

Gave about 5 months notice to my boss, chiefly for my own sake---so i would not back out.

I remember grinning all the time, when thinking about it. Co-workers would say things like, Wipe that grin off your face!

There were sad moments, even tears, on my part, but it was mainly a sweet, delicious feeling.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave notice to megacorp on January 2 and today (Febr 28) was my last day. The past couple of months were pretty normal for me. I prepared a list of all my responsibilities and my boss & I decided who was going to handle each until they name a successor (another 4-6 weeks from now, I hear). I stayed involved as normal, although it was hard to focus some days, knowing "the day" was coming. I was treated very well; no complaints.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My last few months went from enjoying the holidays (nov, dec) as I had lots of vacation time, to returning in Jan, and learning I got outsourced, do deciding I really didn't want to get outsourced to calling it a career. I remember keeping my decision to myself, seeking private health insurance (this was the final piece of my puzzle to retire) and pretending to be interested in the upcoming work for a new year.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the responses. Obviously everyone still clearly remembers their last days. Racy congratulations!!!

When I started at the Mega Corp in 1979 there was a marketing manager they wanted to leave/retire. At that time there were not job eliminations. Over time they took away his people, his secretary, his projects, travel, etc. He had an office with a door but little furniture. Everyday he would come in dressed in a suit and with a briefcase. He would shut the door, open his briefcase, and proceed to read newspapers and magazines for the next 8 hours. He did this for a couple years until he was ready to leave. I always remembered that.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes, but will you fly away in a helicopter?
The next thing you know, the Pope will be parachuting into the Olympics.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The next thing you know, the Pope will be parachuting into the Olympics.
No, I think that was another Queen.