Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I think I may be one of the closest geographically to Wall St. Want me to hop on the Amtrak and go straighten everyone out?

Please do freebird. When you're done with Wall Street, hop the train to DC and kick some hiney there. You've got my vote baby.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What will happen Monday?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

What will happen Monday?

The sun will rise on me in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. It will be a good day.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The sun will come up in the east and set in the west.
The wheels on the bus go round and round...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
On a side note, I just found a three foot long Cottonmouth lounging by the front door inside my weekend house. Bad omen I guess.
"Look, hon, a politician! Get me a shovel..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I expect Monday to get off to a bad start as the DJIA futures are now down 282 points.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I was listening to the radio and they said that nowadays, because of instaneousness of technology (the internet, etc.) a drop such as the 500 point one happens quicker, like in a day instead of taking several in the past.

This can be both good and bad. A quick correction in a way is better than a prolonged drawn out decline. Off like a bandaid..painful but quick!

That said, Monday will probably be uneventul with no firm direction either way, just to keep us guessing
Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #26

My SWAG would be a very vicious drop in the first 5 -10 minutes of Monday opening, followed by wild gyrations all over the map.

I think we will end Monday with a fairly large drop, but the following days should be more stable.

I entered several orders for blue chip stocks ( CVX, JNJ, PG ) at about 20% below their Friday close. All I need is get one or two filled, and I'll be sitting on a terrific dividend income stream for some time.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #27
gone traveling

While I do not think it will be a nice day tomorrow, I am more worried about the weeks and months ahead. Here's a piece that may help everyone feel better till you get to the last line:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/bu...pagewanted=all
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I predict up 1%.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am surprised no one has started a thread about the downgrade yet. So here is a short one: does the market fall off a cliff or is this news already factored in?
IMHO, I don't believe the S&P downgrade has been factored in yet. The DJIA futures are down 224 points, while Japan's Nikkei is down 359 points (3.72%). To answer your question, I don't think Monday will be pretty on Wall Street.

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought I saw that the Nikkei is up 80 pts.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #31

I just looked again and the Niikei is down 70, no biggie.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
what will happen Monday?
I will wake up about 8AM, consume a couple of cups of joe on the back deck as I read the paper, then I will...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My best guess - big deep panic dip then back up again before the day ends - perhaps even to what the market closed at Friday or above. I think this will be thanks to all those who see a bargin and are much braver than I. Still not ready to dive into the deep end of this pool. Not selling, but do think this one's different than the others. Politics, China and the downgrade among other factors.

Things I'm worried about more than stock values in the near future include interest rates, unemployment and the real estate market.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #34

I think that uncertainty has turned to certainty and current prices reflect this. I think that everyone just wants to get on with life. Market will probably end up even or a bit up on Monday.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #35

I am not in the market, but always pay attention to what is going on in the world. On a financial network tonight some talking heads, I think they are called experts, say the market will bounce back by the end of the year but watch out for 2012. They predict everything will take a huge hit next year. Stocks, gold, real estate, blah-blah-blah, will be way down next year. The only safe investment will be T-bills. They relate this to the failure of the stimulus package. Was there a stimulus package?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #36

I would bet anyone money that the market is down big time Monday. Anyone that tells me they are not worried is on something. This has been coming for some time. The US citizens are living on credit. I know many people who have no saving and they don't care. Their thinking is the government will take care of them? Get ready for a rough ride for some time. We were warned long time ago. Tom
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #37

Things seem to be getting better. The DJIA futures are now down only 167 points with the Nikkei showing no change from Friday. Overall, the Asia-Pacific index is down only 1.5% at 10:29 P.M. E.S.T.

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

There seems to be a huge amount of new freshly printed money sitting on the sidelines right now. With yields at rock bottom that money is looking for a place to go, any place to get some yield. On top of that helicopter Ben has the rotors turning and the sacks full. With that in mind my cracked foggy and dirty crystal ball says the market will swoon in the morning and bounce back to a little positive by end of day.
On top of that The US is still the tallest Midget in the room and as long as we can borrow our way to happiness we have to. Any politician that tries to make any serious cuts will be out on his ear asap! Monday will just be another day.
Sevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #39

We will meet back here tomorrow night and see who's right and who's wrong. I have not right on much lately so maybe it bounce back. Tom
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'm expecting a drop of at least 200 points for the DOW. That almost certainly means that it'll go up
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote