Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
The Dow closed lower yesterday than it was back in 1999. How is buy, hold and rebalancing working for you?

My explanation of the Buy/Hold and rebalance strategy. Can't explain it a better way (plus it's a pretty good fight scene):

Unlike the clip, a down market is very real, not an illusion, but to sit pat and ride it out for me is the way to go.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My main goal is not to get filthy rich but to preserve what I already have while trying to participate in SOME of the market gains. Buy, hold AND SELL helps me in that goal.

And I see many buy and hold types around here and they don't seem to be filthy rich either.

I'm amazed how people defend this approach to the bitter end. There ARE alternatives.

Seems to me by SELL you are either really meaning REBALANCE like what many of us over here do. Or unless you mean SELL when the market is going down, that is selling at a loss.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
So what kind of user name is 77ss454 anyway?
Reference to '77 Chevelle SS with the 454 big block motor is my guess. A high point of US car culture.

Ha
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Close, it's a 1973 SS 454 Chevelle that I reference. The 454 is the size of the motor as HaHa mentioned. SS stands for Super Sport and 73 is the year.

1973 was the last year for the SS Chevelle, the end of an era.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #165
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Has there ever been a downturn that wasn't accompanied by finger-pointing? Is it 'different this time'?

I am confident that your lack of confidence will be shown to be well placed.

-ERD50
Isn't this time different Actually my lack of confidence has turned to total disgust.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Close, it's a 1973 SS 454 Chevelle that I reference. The 454 is the size of the motor as HaHa mentioned. SS stands for Super Sport and 73 is the year.

Ah, yes. They still had those little flags with the CCs underneath that impressed us so much in the 60s: 327s, 409s. I never could afford any of them. 454 was unimaginable. My 15 years older brother had an Impala SS convertible circa 64 or so.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #167
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post

It is also his inflation/deflation hedge; wish I still had my 67'
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah, yes. They still had those little flags with the CCs underneath that impressed us so much in the 60s: 327s, 409s. I never could afford any of them. 454 was unimaginable. My 15 years older brother had an Impala SS convertible circa 64 or so.
Yeah, was lucky to have a car that ran, though my dad had a 1970 Le Sabre with a 455CI. Talk about a land barge!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Isn't this time different Actually my lack of confidence has turned to total disgust.
I am arch fiscal conservative and stand 100% behind free enterprise. It just seem the Great Depression, the Asian Monetary Crisis, and this Great Recession had the banks right in the middle of things. The ability to accept deposits (or investments) and lend it out at very high leverage puts any country's economy on perpetual thin ice. Furthermore, our government gives so much free help to these profitable institutions (from deposit insurance to first in line bail-outs).

Not to say their weren't a bunch of accessories to the crime...government spending, housing speculation, Wall Street's mystery products like derivatives and credit default swaps. You will need many fingers to point to guilty parties.

At the beginning of the 1900's, Teddy Roosevelt say the danger of "too big to fail" industries - like oil, steel, and railroads - and wisely broke them into pieces. I look at the break up of huge private utilities, like electric generation companies, AT&T, and the mini break-up of Microsoft. Cutting huge companies into pieces encourages competition from small companies. It keeps a few companies from getting so large that the failure of any one of them could bring down the country's economy.

Let's not get so obsessed with blaming Washington politics that we forget that the companies headquartered in New York City alone are way more powerful than the government will ever be.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I guess that some websites actually published minute by minute events from the trading floor using services such as Twitter. What is the point of that? To alarm us even more? To further get people worked up?
To attract website traffic/hits and sell more advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Is it time to buy yet?
You're supposed to wait until they roll the little cart with the flashing blue light out onto the trading floor...

Quote:
Well, I can tell that the "buy and hold no matter what" sentiment dominates this forum. Interesting.
Let me pile on with a couple more comments:
1. This market volatility is no reason to sell a dividend-paying stock, unless the company decides to commit investor-relations suicide cut their dividend. There may be plenty of reasons today to buy more dividend-paying stocks.

2. Many posters on this board did a lot of tax-loss swap selling & buying during 2008-2009 while remaining "fully invested". Some of us are still carrying forward cap losses from those days...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

WTF? DOW up 140 on no news, then down 30 and up 300 on the same Fed announcement? I guess this just tells us we can expect a wild ride for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #172
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I said 200 down today but now I change that to 600. Td
Quote:
DOW futures are +140. Still sticking with -600?
Quote:
yep
The Dow closed up 400, so you only missed it by 1,000 points. But hey, tomorrow is another day - want to give it another shot?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Down 630, up 430. What an exciting ride.

I really like rollercoasters at night or in dark passages. So will tomorrow bring another exciting day (my prediction) or will we take a breather?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
WTF? DOW up 140 on no news, then down 30 and up 300 on the same Fed announcement? I guess this just tells us we can expect a wild ride for the foreseeable future.
Yee flippin' haw! Ride 'em cowboy!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #175
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

I really like rollercoasters at night or in dark passages. So will tomorrow bring another exciting day (my prediction) or will we take a breather?
I may put a paper bag over my head tomorrow. I figure that should both hide events from view and reduce the possibility of hyperventilation....
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #176
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

I feel like the kid at the amusement park who just downed a big milkshake and then hopped on the roller coaster, not sure whether I want to hurl or go for another ride. Placed some buy orders this morning for some blue chips and wasn't sure they would execute, but within minutes they did and then I thought oh no, I've just caught a falling knife.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #177

Quote:
Still sticking with -600?
yep
Missed it by that much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg missed.jpeg (5.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

This is a pure Bernanke rally. If people still believe in his power, the fireworks should be over for now, just as in March 2009 when he promised to make it all better with unimaginable amounts of money created out of thin air.

Got to love the modern world.

Ha
Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Was away today doing other things so I wasn't watching the market hour to hour. Was pleasantly surprised to get home and see we were up ~5% today. Makes me feel better that I rebalanced yesterday.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I feel like the kid at the amusement park who just downed a big milkshake and then hopped on the roller coaster, not sure whether I want to hurl or go for another ride.
I love the above description! I think we can all relate to that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote