Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Let me see if I understand. You are saying that the entire world's oil demand could be satisfied by the oilsands in Canada?

Could you present some documentation for this?

Ha
Canada Oil Sands Most folks who live here roll their eyes when we hear the fear mongers in the media saying that oil is scarce. American and international companies are building mega projects worth billions everywhere you look. It's almost surreal. We just haven't got enough people to fill all of the jobs. Lots of $100k per yr jobs if you have a trade and want to live and work in an area that you probably wouldn't care to visit, and lots of recruiters looking for workers all over the world, but ya gotta find a place to live and there's nothing cheap here. Once these obstacles are cleared, technology improves, and pipelines are in place, you can count on many happy years of gas gobbling SUV's clogging your highways.

I shouldn't complain, as it is the reason that myself and many of my friends are young and FI. Still, I can attest to the environmental and societal filth that this industry can cause. I want to leave here now, but will wait until kids are done school.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here's a cool bubble that you may not have heard about: domaining. Let me explain. Generic internet domain names (i.e. seniors.com, creditcheck.com, bald.com, etc.) have sold for REALLY big money in the past year ($3 mil, $1.8 mil, and $400,000 respectively). I'm not sure if or when this bubble will burst, but it's fun to follow!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyC View Post
Here's a cool bubble that you may not have heard about: domaining. Let me explain. Generic internet domain names (i.e. seniors.com, creditcheck.com, bald.com, etc.) have sold for REALLY big money in the past year ($3 mil, $1.8 mil, and $400,000 respectively). I'm not sure if or when this bubble will burst, but it's fun to follow!
Those numbers are hard to believe. It'd be nice to see some independent confirmation.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:38 AM   #44

Wikipedia's estimates of tar sands and oil shales -

World deposits of oil shale are estimated to equal 2.9–3.3 trillion barrels of recoverable
oil, 1.5–2.6 trillion barrels of which are in the United States

Oil shale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tar sands may represent as much as 2/3 of the world's total petroleum resource, with at least
1.7 trillion barrels in the Canadian Athabasca Oil Sands and perhaps 1.8 trillion barrels in
the Venezuelan Orinoco tar sands

Tar sands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #45
Administrator

OK, on the topic of what the next bubble will be...

I will retire in a couple of years in a paid off house, with everything I need. The absolute worst case would be if food prices skyrocketed.

I could grow veggies, but this city gal isn't about to raise cattle or chickens in her spare time.

Based on absolutely nothing other than the specter of bad luck, my prediction is that the next bubble will be in food prices.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Wikipedia's estimates of tar sands and oil shales -

World deposits of oil shale are estimated to equal 2.9–3.3 trillion barrels of recoverable
oil, 1.5–2.6 trillion barrels of which are in the United States

Oil shale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tar sands may represent as much as 2/3 of the world's total petroleum resource, with at least
1.7 trillion barrels in the Canadian Athabasca Oil Sands and perhaps 1.8 trillion barrels in
the Venezuelan Orinoco tar sands

Tar sands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OK, so it's official? There's more than enough oil, it's just not of the Jed Clampett variety.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Those numbers are hard to believe. It'd be nice to see some independent confirmation.
I remember a story several years ago about the PGA wanting to use pga.com, but the Potato Growers of America had it already. Not sure how it all played out.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many market pundits believe the next bubble will be emerging markets because of the fed rate cut according to a Wall Street Journal article:

Free Article - WSJ.com
Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

I will retire in a couple of years in a paid off house, with everything I need. The absolute worst case would be if food prices skyrocketed.

I could grow veggies, but this city gal isn't about to raise cattle or chickens in her spare time.

Based on absolutely nothing other than the specter of bad luck, my prediction is that the next bubble will be in food prices.
I tend to agree with you. Not sure that it will be the next bubble, but in the not so distant future...... Another doubling of the earth's population, some minor climate changes decreasing productivity in the USA bread basket, food transportation costs skyrocketing......

It's coming. It's just a matter of exactly when.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 AM   #50

Quote:

Not an unreasonable prediction - especially if the ag community buys into the ethanol for fuel solution GWB is supporting. Just look at what it has done this year alone in terms of decreased acreage in non-corn crops and the resulting rising costs of those commodities.

DD
Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #51

Tulip mania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are, as ha said, natural market forces at work (supply & demand) in the market place, and then there are bigger problems. My guess is that most largish and real bubbles are created from an exuberance or rapture of debt--too much money in imprudent (or overly greedy?) hands. Our current housing bubble was created when the desire for more money and stuff were combined with mortgage brokers with the money to buy those things we desired at 'very good' (unnatural?) rates. Dotcom bubble? Lots of banker money floating around fast and loose during those times, lots of money given to Enron on the observation of a 'nice' song and dance related to making money in new ways. Oh, the rapture. Oh, the debt that remains afterward. My guess, look for the debt formation that precedes bubbles.

Our forefathers didn't like bankers after certain periods of exuberance for a reason--is my guess. Prudent behavior is good?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 AM   #52

food bubble?

Quote:

I don't think a food "bubble" is in the cards, but food costs, like anything else, will follow the supply/demand laws of economics. I remember people grumbling about the cost of food ever since I was following my mother around the grocery store. Remember when a loaf of bread hit $1.00? It was on the nightly news for heavens sake.

So inflation in food ahead? Absolutely, but not a bubble. People have ways to produce food even if it means they plow up their front yard and plant beans and potatoes. Irrational speculation of a commodity defines a bubble.

One can hedge against this by investing in commodity futures. I have.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #53

My bubble prediction is primarily in greenback printing from the Fed. Heck, more like an ongoing observation rather than prediction. Maybe not a bubble but in many ways even worse; a continual nasty leak. Nothing like minimizing future obligations (medicare, SS) with cheaper greenbacks and priming voters for elections at the same time
Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Nothing like minimizing future obligations (medicare, SS) with cheaper greenbacks and priming voters for elections at the same time
Medicare and SS are not financial obligations denominated in current dollars. Medicare is a service obligation, and SS has a built-in inflation protection. So cheapening the dollar doesn't help with these. What it does help with is the debt we've run up, which is in current dollars. Of course, that just is a temporary fix, since future debt would end up being at a higher interest rate. Unless we stop running such huge deficits .
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #55

An article in this morning's newspaper stated that student loans may be the next real estate bubble. Sounds like many students are taking out very high interest loans from private lenders, such as Wells Fargo, etc. Some of these loans equate to mortage payments. Defaults will follow as students enter the workforce at lower than expected salaries and as their parents enter retirement, not being able to help them out. Interesing....
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyC View Post
I have friends that play in this world and can confirm that their is a definite bubble in internet domains.

Now is a good time to be selling any good ones you have laying around.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Back in 1994 I could have registered PC.com. I was a good boy, and registered it for Intel instead...
Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #58

If you are looking for a bubble to end, check out the "inverse" of tyx. 27 years in one direction. Isn't that looking like a bubble about to burst?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if it will be the next bubble or some future one. I am not sure exactly of the specific area.

But there will be gold rush fever around boomers' retirement. That wave of people and money will draw the crowd. There will be a few investment type bubbles develop.

These bubbles seem to happen due to the next new/big thing or the scarcity of something. Energy and Health care seem to be a couple of areas where certain break throughs are needed.