Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What Women Want
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speak for yourself...there are a few of us out here.

Now if only I could find a nice girl who had a similar mindset, I'd be golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
That kind of discussion may seem logical now, but I just can't see a 22-25 year old discussing ER planning. Most are only interested in where they are going on there honeymoon.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
it is always dangerous for a male to think he understands a female
Two kind of males think they know what women want, fools and liars.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #23

What I wanted then: A husband to love and cherish bi-directional. A good father for our children. Time to enjoy home and family.

What I didn't get: Adequate time before his life ended.

What I want now: A husband to love and cherish bi-directional. A good man to befriend my children and who is a good father to his children. Time to enjoy home and family. Enough financial savvy that I am not compromising my standard of living (too much) to improve his. LAUGHTER & SENSE OF HUMOR!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B

Is this what women want?
Well - I guess there are a lot of women (particularly in the older generations) who were raised to see the man as the provider and wage earner, and perhaps after raising the children and moving and keeping house during the early years they now feel "entitled" to the status quo. Not that it's fair. But I suspect a woman has primarily seen her husband as the wage earner and has always felt financial security with him working so not having him work is frightening.

The above stories are sad to me. Especially this need to have a huge house late in life and spend $$$ redecorating when it just seems like an empty shell. Is this an empty nest syndrome thing? Who knows.

I always wanted to be self-reliant when it came to my financial well being so I can't relate to these other women at all. Of course I also never sought a husband as a wage earner. I was looking for a life companion, and so when I retired I strongly encouraged my husband to do the same pointing out that what was the point of me retiring if he was still constrained by work.

Audrey

P.S. You men will really confuse yourselves if you assume that ALL women want the same thing.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:00 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole
It strikes me that some of these women may be filling an empty nest with spending. They may be afraid of another change especially if they have the type of husband that goes off and does his own thing. To be left in the empty nest with no support or companionship and to have no money to spend on things they enjoy may be hard for them to risk.
That's the strong impression I got. It also suggests that they are avoiding having their husbands around more - another red flag.

Audrey
Old 12-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a single working woman who has taken care of herself
[and her disabled son] the past 30 years, I just want to be
able to enjoy God's blessings and the fruits of my labor...
ie, have a comfy nest and retire early.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:17 AM   #27

Of course, this story makes me appreciate my wife, who makes more than me and saves lots, even more. Plus, since she is an electrical engineer, when we retire, she can do all the electrical work.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:36 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
since she is an electrical engineer, when we retire, she can do all the electrical work.
Hah! I have EE degrees. Do I do the electrical work? No way! Call a properly licensed electrician for that dangerous stuff!

Audrey

P.S. House wiring was NOT in the curriculum.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:47 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
The NYTimes had a recent article about questions couples should ask before marrying:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/17/fa...7FIELDBOX.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
That kind of discussion may seem logical now, but I just can't see a 22-25 year old discussing ER planning. Most are only interested in where they are going on there honeymoon.
Heck, I can't see anyone getting married after fighting about that argument-starting list. Whatever would they have left to discuss after the honeymoon?

It's interesting that the NYT staff doesn't indicate who wrote it, their gender, and whether/how many times they're married.

And what about the lifestyle where neither will give it up?

He was already drawing a Navy pension when they started their own their real estate company. She was one of the island's top realtors in the 1980s & 90s. Today their kids run the day-to-day, the 3rd generation is starting to take over, and they travel the country speaking at conventions & training seminars. They've just finished renovating their multi-million $$ home (they spent a year in a Waikiki apartment). He says that the cost of retirement gets higher (to him, "unaffordable") every year. He was one of the speakers at a local seminar on investing in properties and I couldn't help but notice that his presence is not what it used to be. However I don't think either one of them can turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Running a submarine is way too dangerous to leave to the officers, and the electricians know that wiring a house is way too dangerous to leave to the engineers!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
"I suggested that since she hadn't had a job for 30 years maybe it was her turn and he could stay home."
I find this attitude confusing. Not having children myself, I just assume that parents place great value on the care, feeding, clothing, and emotional nurturing of their children. But here we have the suggestion that the stay-at-home mom's contribution doesn't count as 'work." I've heard my father say much the same thing to my mother when they argue, so this attitude is not unusual.

However, according to the quote below, (and any number of these surveys done over the years), the annual value of a stay-at-home mom's work is $134,121

Quote:
REUTERS
May 4, 2006

NEW YORK Ė A full-time, stay-at-home mother would earn $134,121 a year if paid for all her work, an amount similar to a top U.S. advertising executive, a marketing director or a judge, according to a study released yesterday.

A mother who works outside the home would earn an extra $85,876 annually on top of her actual wages for the work she does at home, according to the study by Salary.com, a Massachusetts-based compensation analysis company

I also get confused by our tendency to forget what has come before, and to view the current situation as though it had no connection to the past. Here are a few examples to remind us:

I took the ASVAB test and enlisted in the Navy 30 years ago. In later years a recruiter told me that my test scores would have sent me straight to officer candidate school -- if I'd been a man.

My friend and realtor applied for a job managing a local country club 30 years ago -- she was turned down despite qualifications because she was "too attractive and might cause trouble with the married men." This kept her out of a well-paying job, but it didn't stop the club from offering her the low-paying position of the new hire's assistant. (She turned it down, he skipped town later with $100K of the club's funds...)

My mother-in-law desperately wanted to work once her kids were out of school -- her husband refused to hear anything about it. This was the same man who uprooted her regularly for the needs of his career, looked at potential houses without her input, and died recently leaving her with no clue as to what they had, where it was, etc.

My father has been retired for 20 years now - he's loving it, but my mother's work has not changed. In all that time he still has not learned to cook, to clean, or to otherwise life a finger around the house. I asked him how to set the dishwasher last week -- he had absolutely NO idea.

I could go on here, but you get the picture. Whether you like it or not it was a LOT harder for a woman to find work 30 years ago. It was and IS harder for her to make the same money as a man, and it is HARD, VALUABLE work to raise children, keep house, and today, hold down a job as well.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to attend college, learn a trade, and make a good salary. I have saved a lot more money than has my partner, and I will be entirely in control of my own retirement. I have no dog in this fight.

But we've all seen couples who work together toward retirement and other life goals, and couples who work at cross purposes. These couples you cite seem to be in the latter bucket. The wives seem to want to put their comfort and luxury above their husbands' desire for freedom and rest.

I'd suggest, though, that they might fail to appreciate their husbands' needs now because their own needs and contributions were devalued over their working lives.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Uh, those men married those women, so it's what the men wanted.
This is definitely the voice of inexperience talking. Do you think that what a woman seems to be at age 25 or 30, when she is still looking for a husband, is a very good predictor of what she will be like at age 55 when she has had a nice ride for many years and when she knows that a court will see to it that her living conditions won't change too much?

If so, I have a bridge that I have been wanting to sell.

BTW, the details differ but it isnít too easy to predict what a man will be like 25 years down the road either.

Ha
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Marriage, like any other financial arrangement, should include a mission statement; with room for renegotiation if circumstances change radically.
Didn't you say that you were married for a short time when you were young, and then divorced, and have remained single since?

Great advice, no doubt, but what makes you think it can be followed?

Ha
Old 12-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I admit that I like living in nicer places with nicer things than Greg does. We would have been FI a lot sooner if I was as frugal as my spouse. But because I liked spending more than my spouse did, I kept working and he ER'd first.
We know about this Martha, and we are so impressed that we call you "Your Majesty".

Ha
Old 12-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
This is definitely the voice of inexperience talking.
Well, I have to admit that's true. I don't have a long list of previous marriages that I can claim on my resume. I only got married once and I'm still married almost 25 years later.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Come-on everybody. Isn't this what makes the world go 'round? Obviously we are all different. We make all kinds of choices along the way. I've been lucky enough so that DW and I are pulling in the same basic direction. That really helps, but it's probably not the norm. Give and take for 30 years. It's worked pretty well.

Maybe those couples who are moving in different directions ought to sit down and talk it over. Maybe even come up with a plan....What a concept.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Hah! I have EE degrees. Do I do the electrical work? No way! Call a properly licensed electrician for that dangerous stuff!

Audrey

She installs x-ray machines for a living which involves lots and lots of wiring. She thinks that 110 is wimpy since her stuff is 440.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #37

I think a lot of girls are programmed bombarded by certain imagery from an early age that basically suggests to them that they need to be thin, have a HUGE wedding, live in a castle, and ride horses.

You just need to marry the one who believes in subverting the dominant paradigms.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
She installs x-ray machines for a living which involves lots and lots of wiring. She thinks that 110 is wimpy since her stuff is 440.
That's an interesting attitude, not that I'm accusing Audrey of having it. Many people, except for the survivors, act as though 110V is way less dangerous than 440V.

My experience, personal & administrative, has been that there are far more mishaps with the "low"-voltage systems because everyone is so much more careful around 440V. But hey, dead is dead-- although the 110V systems can take a little more time to make you wish you were.

Submarines used to generate 440V AC for everything and then step it down or rectify it as necessary. Inverters were noisy pieces of mechanical crap that you either avoided or hated (or both). The latest design philosophy has been to build a humongous 700V DC bus and tap it through solid-state inverters. (It's thought to be more reliable and it's a lot less radiated noise.) It'll be interesting to look at the mishap numbers in a few years and see the trend.

Our photovoltaic panels only generate 24V. But if I didn't treat that with the same paranoia I used to reserve for 440 VAC, the current would launch me across the street like a fried sausage before I realized that I should have disconnected something.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I'd suggest, though, that they might fail to appreciate their husbands' needs now because their own needs and contributions were devalued over their working lives.
Great post, Caroline!
Each party entered those relationships with expectations that may or may not have been communicated. He thought she would take second place to his rise up the ladder. She thought he would keep her in the style to which she wished to become accustomed. But things changed, and they didn't talk it out. They are now reaping what they have sowed over many years.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Running a submarine is way too dangerous to leave to the officers, and the electricians know that wiring a house is way too dangerous to leave to the engineers!
Unstopping toilets and clearing drain lines are within the capabilities of most chemical engineers.