Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I think you will not break Bogleheads investing strategy if you buy excellent index funds like VIG or SCHD. Those index funds select what to buy based on things like earnings growth, competitive advantage etc etc. And they sport annual fees of 0.10 and 0.07 percent.

The above mentioned index funds will drive prices of their holdings. They are not passive.
I agree.
However, is active investing really a part of Bogle's investing principles?
Just cause Vanguard has a variety of funds doesn't mean they all align with the central Bogle strategy.
To me Bogles key points are to focus on very broad diversification, low costs and buy/hold.
That's not active investing.
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
I agree.
However, is active investing really a part of Bogle's investing principles?
Just cause Vanguard has a variety of funds doesn't mean they all align with the central Bogle strategy.
To me Bogles key points are to focus on very broad diversification, low costs and buy/hold.
That's not active investing.
It is not active in terms of person driving decisions. Index drives what to purchase. This is why you have such a low fees. IMO it follows Bogle's investing principle.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Interesting, so indexers need the stock pickers to be successful. Maybe indexers should be a little less evangelical and should encourage the market timers and stock pickers in their own self interest.
Exactly... Basically, any index is the top XX of the YYY market (the top 500 of the US market is the S&P500). The top securities are determined by the active investors. People who invest in Indices are saying that they think that the collective average knowledge of the active investors is better than what they could do year over year. Without active investors you would never know who belongs at the top.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

indexing is not as passive as you think. someone is making decisions about what stays ,what goes and how long failing companies stay in the indexes.

think about the fact if poor decisions were not made about certain failing companies being in the index so long the returns would have been better.

the point is someone at the top is making decisions and picking stocks.

each fund does not buy every stock in an index, rather the fund family picks and chooses which stocks to own in their particular representation of an index.

with indexing the "stock pickers " are just not fund managers deciding what to buy and sell but there certainly is someone or someones in the chain doing that as the indexes are maintained. and altered.

look at how long the indexes sat with big failing companies before they were swapped out. bad decsion ..

finally when you assemble a portfolio you have to make a decision about which indexes to include.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree its a matter of degree.

To me trading as necessary to maintain correlation to an index is much less active than I consider "active investing" to be. The low fees tend to support that.

In any case, how much of such "index correlation chasing" do you think goes on in the V total stock fund? Perhaps decoupling an equity fund from a given index has some performance advantages??
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are various types of indexes and several methods of weighting. I haven't studied each of them in detail, but I thought most include X number of stocks by some metric (often market cap). And the methodology re: what stocks are included, how rebalanced, etc. is typically public ("rules based"), so there really isn't anyone making arbitrary, biased or frequent choices.

The broad or composite indexes include thousands of stocks, or all stocks for a given category. Again what stocks, rebalancing, etc. are clearly defined, and would fit most definitions for "passive" funds.

It's probably accurate to say most if not all commonly known traded/held index funds are passive in comparison to actively managed funds. Are there funds that call themselves "index funds" that are actually actively managed? Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know of any...
Attached Images
File Type: png Stock_Benchmarks_-_Major_US_Index_Providers.png (112.5 KB, 5 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
If everyone is passive and invested in passive funds then the function of the market intended to reward or punish business performance would be eliminated. This is bad.
There would be less volatility (no panic selling or buying on the rumor) but the market would still reward and punish (real) business performance. If Apple becomes a Nokia, it would get bumped from an index (presumably).

To expand on what mathjak wrote: Company stock would rise or fall depending on whether the index professionals include or kick out a stock. IPOs might seek approval from a professional because a stock is meaningless, or almost so, without being in an index. In the end, we'd be trusting the financial advisors more than we do now.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote