Join Early Retirement Today
What Would You Do?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
What Would You Do?

Afternoon All - Happy "Labor" Day. This is my first labor day since retiring - definitely a different feel.

Would appreciate your advise.

So far almost 9 months into ER it looks like our pensions are able to keep up with our basic living expenses. Our investment style is conservative to say the least - 30%/40%/30% (stocks/bonds/cash).

We have a nice five year CD coming due next month and would like to lower our cash % but still keep our conservative investment style. Thinking of moving the money into a Intermediate Term Bond Fund with Vanguard.

With interest rates probably going up, I want to keep bonds to a lower term.

Is this a sound strategy? Still want to maintain a low stock % just cause we don't need to speculate with a solid pension.

kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Do you have access to a Stable Value fund in a 401(k)?

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...
If you have a sound investment strategy that you are comfortable with why would you want to change it? If I had a dollar for every post that mentioned rates are going up the past 6 years I wouldn't need my pension that I live on. The Fed possibly tossing out a few gratuitous 25 basis bones may not change the landscape much.
Have you checked yields on intermediate bond bonds? Are they appreciably different than another 5 year CD that can be had for 2.25%?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...
I would wait until after the FOMC meeting. You might miss a big run-up in the stock market on the day that meeting finishes, but I think you won't mind. You will also know what to invest in on that day very very easily.

This should be very easy to do since your CD matures after the FOMC is concluded, so twiddle your thumbs until then and post again if the way forward is not clear.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...
I've been buying Guggenheim target maturity bond funds as a CD and bond fund substitute. They have interest rate risk like a bond fund but you will get a terminal distribution at the end of the maturity year like a CD maturing. It is sort of like owning a participation in a diversified portfolio of corporate bonds that mature in a specified year.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
What Would You Do?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
What Would You Do?

What would I do? Well, before I retired I worked very hard at coming up with a written personal financial plan that included a planned asset allocation for retirement. My plan includes a specific percentage to be allocated to cash, and another for bonds.

So, I wouldn't be changing my asset allocation to lower my cash %; instead, I would follow my planned asset allocation in determining what to do with the money from the CD's.

That is what I am in the process of doing right now with the cash I recently received from the sale of my house. Following the plan.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote