What would you do - pay off student loan or pay down mortgage?

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm trying to decide if I should pay off my final student loan or pay down my mortgage. Here's my situation:

Student Loan
Balance $12,000, 3% interest, not tax deductible, 118 months left

Home Mortgage
Balance $243,000, 5.25% interest, tax deductible, 357 months left

I'm in the 25% federal tax bracket and 7% for state. Is mortgage interest a tax deduction for state taxes?

If you had $12,000 to pay off debt what would you do in this situation?

Pay off the mortgage. If you have drama student loan can be deferred for hardship, plus it's not backed by the roof over your head.

Mortgage........If I had a 3% interest rate on any type of loan, I would be smiling everytime I made a payment.

Hum logically I would go for the mortgage. But, paying off the student loan would have an immediate effect on your monthly cash flow while paying down the mortgage would not (unless you refinance). So I'd go with paying off the student loan.

I agree with FIREdreamer with the addition that I would send what used to be your student loan payment to the mortgage company directed at principle to pay it down sooner.

DD

You really can't go wrong. If you decide to pay off your student loan now, then I would suggest applying the student loan monthly payments (which will no longer be necessary) to your mortgage after they accumulate for a while.

If you apply $12,000 to your mortgage you will probably shorten your mortgage by about three years, I think? Check a mortgage calculator to make sure, such as the one at http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/mortgage-calculator.aspx which allows you to put in a one time payment like this.

Last edited:
Basically apples and oranges from a rate perspective. I wouldn't pay down either, personally, but if you are wedded to debt reduction rather than liquidity/asset increases with the money, I would kill the student loan. Student loans cannot go away via BK and a 12k paydown on the mortgage does nothing for your cashflow on a monthly basis.

Hum logically I would go for the mortgage. But, paying off the student loan would have an immediate effect on your monthly cash flow while paying down the mortgage would not (unless you refinance). So I'd go with paying off the student loan.

This is how I've been looking at it too so I'm leaning towards the student loan. It would be nice to get rid of the account too and owe money to one less institution.

If you are determined to pay off one, I'd probably do the student loan only because you can improve your cash flow a lot more by completely eliminating a monthly payment and because they don't go away in bankruptcy.

Having said that, I can't get too excited about paying down a 5.25% deductible loan or a 3% loan regardless of deductibility. I don't think I'd do either, especially if I didn't have a rock solid emergency fund already.

Having said that, I can't get too excited about paying down a 5.25% deductible loan or a 3% loan regardless of deductibility. I don't think I'd do either, especially if I didn't have a rock solid emergency fund already.

Would you invest in a taxable account before paying down the mortgage? I'm excited to become debt free even though I'm still many years off

I agree with above,
118 months left is what I was looking at
any money used to pay down mortgage is tied up

there is a third hidden option
invest the 12k conservatively (enough to beat the 3% student loan interest though) and keep liquidity on your side.

If you have no emergency fund, I would turn the $12K into one. Invest it in something liquid and safe.

If you already have an adequate emergency fund, I vote for paying down the student loan for the reasons already stated.

Would you invest in a taxable account before paying down the mortgage? I'm excited to become debt free even though I'm still many years off

I would invest the money (and have, since my mortgage and student loan rates are similar to yours).

I agree with FIREdreamer with the addition that I would send what used to be your student loan payment to the mortgage company directed at principle to pay it down sooner.

DD

I vote this too--get rid of the smallest loan completely first (it will feel great) and then your mortgage balance will start shrinking too as you apply the student loan payment amounts to it.

And if things get tight you can always stop sending the additional amount to the mortgage co.

I'd kill for a 3% loan.

OK, if it is just $12,000, I'd only maim for it. ;) But I sure can't understand paying it off.

-ERD50

What would you invest it in?

You need to review your total AA to answer that. But I will say that I just don't buy the argument that it must be invested in something 100% "safe". People will say that since paying off the loan can be considered 100% safe, any investment with that money must be also. That does make it apples-apples, but...

the logical extension of that is that no one should invest a penny in anything (other than an emergency fund), until they are 100% debt free. So, if you are taking that approach with your other debt also, then at least you are being consistent. I can't say if one approach is right or wrong, but I can say that one approach is inconsistent.

-ERD50

I don't have a student loan, but I could payoff my mortgage tomorrow if I wanted. Instead, I made the choice to invest the money like Brewer did. I am in no hurry to tie up a lot of money in my house and I am thinking that if hyper inflation is truly building up in the pipeline, I'd rather repay my mortgage with much cheaper dollars down the road. But if becoming debt free is really your goal, then you should go for it.

You need to review your total AA to answer that. But I will say that I just don't buy the argument that it must be invested in something 100% "safe". People will say that since paying off the loan can be considered 100% safe, any investment with that money must be also. That does make it apples-apples, but...

the logical extension of that is that no one should invest a penny in anything (other than an emergency fund), until they are 100% debt free. So, if you are taking that approach with your other debt also, then at least you are being consistent. I can't say if one approach is right or wrong, but I can say that one approach is inconsistent.

-ERD50

This is the approach I'm taking:

1. Max out tax deferred accounts
2. Pay off debt
3. Invest in [-]BMW[/-] taxable accounts

If I was close to retirement, maybe I would move #3 ahead of #2. However, I'm more than 20 years away so I have a lot time to build a solid nest egg in my tax deferred accounts.

Bank5 - I agree with FIREdreamer's first post above. If you are going to pay off anything, pay off the student loan, which will increase your cashflow, which you can use to invest, pay down the mortgage, or once in a while just indulge yourself.

I agree with your 1-2-3 approach above, in principle, and if you are really mortgage averse. However, if hyper inflation does hit, you would want to have the mortgage. On the other hand, if you are like me (completely debt averse and love the feeling of having the roof over my head paid off) then eat away at the mortgage as well, after you knock out the student loan (for improved cash flow).

Just my two cents...

R

2. Pay off debt

If I was close to retirement, maybe I would move #3 ahead of #2. However, I'm more than 20 years away so I have a lot time to build a solid nest egg in my tax deferred accounts.

If you want, try doing some FIRECALC runs. One with the normal mort payments, and one with higher payments for a shorter time. The $12,000 loan probably isn't big enough to make a big diff, I just wouldn't pay it off on principle (no pun intended).

I've only done these FireCalc runs on a post retirement scenario, they usually show a *slight* advantage to holding a mortgage. I never ran one with 20 years of accumulation phase, but offhand I don't see why it would be different.

-ERD50

If I both (a) had a long time horizon for this money AND (b) I had a more than adequate emergency fund, then yes.

We do both. I have a rough idea of when I will retire so we are paying down the mortgage at a rate which will pay it off at about that time while simultaneously investing in a taxable account.

The Boglehead Wiki has a good overview of the pay it off vs invest issue here: Paying down loans versus investing - Bogleheads

What to invest in? I assume you have an AA already so you should invest in that in a tax efficient manner (Principles of Tax-Efficient Fund Placement - Bogleheads). Don't have an AA? Get one: Category:Asset Allocation - Bogleheads

DD

2. Pay off debt

I'm doing something similar, but a little different:

1. max out tax deferred accounts
2. made sure the emergency fund was increased to 12 months
3. splitting the rest more or less equally between:
(a) taxable investments and
(b) paying off debt (student loans and mortgage)

Brewer and the rest of the guys (and gals) advocating investing instead of paying down your 3% student loans or your 5.25% mortgage are more than likely correct from a financial perspective. But there's an emotional benefit to being debt-free that is different for different people, so I understand the desire to pay down your debt.

What I've done is basically hedged my bets and split my extra savings between debt repayment and taxable investments -- that way, no matter what the "right" answer is, I'm only half-wrong. :D

As to whether to repay the mortgage or the student loans first ...

Until recently I would have been in favor of paying down the mortgage first, because that's securing your home, presumably something you need and wouldn't want taken away from you. Also, the interest rate is higher.

However, given the way our government is manipulating the housing markets, and given the implosion in the value of housing, I'm much more skeptical that there is much benefit. After all, if you truly hit hard times you can look to Uncle Sam for a cramdown, bankruptcy protection, or if you're in the mood you can just quit paying your mortgage and live mortgage free for 2 years until the bank finally gets around to foreclosing on you. Home mortgages have become responsibility-free liabilities, courtesy of Uncle Sam. So I see little benefit is being a responsible sucker and paying it off early.

Student loans can never be discharged in bankruptcy and there is no government "cramdown" for a student loan (although, I hear lots of whinging out there, so stay tuned!).

So whatever funds I'm applying to debt repayment, I'm using to knock out the student loans for now.

Edited to add: I'm only actually paying down debt if the interest rate on the debt is higher than what I can get in a FDIC-insured savings account or CD. Given the very low interest rates available in savings accounts / CDs right now, I am in fact paying down debt. But previously, the money I've used for "debt repayment" has actually gone into a dedicated savings account / CD at a higher interest than the debt, i.e. a dedicated "loan payoff fund". So long as the loan payoff fund was earning more interest than the loan it was designated for, I left the money in there; but recently as interest rates have dropped, I actually started paying down the debt.

Back
Top Bottom