Join Early Retirement Today

What would you do with 250K in cash?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What would you do with 250K in cash?

I’ve been sitting on an excessive cash position for a while now. If you had 250K sitting in cash today, what move would you make in order to maximize your passive income from that investment?

First time poster though I’ve been frequenting this board since 2007. Hats off to all of you for providing me with great inspiration over the years. I recently left my Megacorp job at age 40 while the DW continues to work. Net worth is approximately 3M with 1.1M in after tax accounts, 900K in retirement accounts, 120K in a 529 for the DD, and 900K equity in a paid off home (not planning on moving.) We’re completely debt free and we’re generating about 42K in expenses per year. The 250K in cash is currently earning 1.05% APY and I’d like some thoughts on how you would better put this money to work. Assume you don’t need to touch it for the foreseeable future and that the income should be truly passive. I wouldn’t want to start creating work for myself by actively managing anything.
NorCalFIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have actually been working on this myself over the last month or two. I had some new cash from sales of real estate and an income ETF. I have been buying bonds of varying maturities from 2 years up to 8. The yield curve is steepest there, and you do not get a lot more return from locking up between 10 and 30 years. In taxable accounts I am using munis, and in tax sheltered accounts I am using corporates. My preference is for mid BBB to low A credit ratings to blend safety and yield. As the shorter bonds mature, I will have fresh funds to invest as rates (hopefully) move up at least a little. I must say though that rates have stayed low for more years than I would have guessed. I bought some of these bonds just this morning, and may hold up here with my cash at 2.2% of the portfolio, just in case of an unexpected need.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I would buy VTI for 200K and VXUS for 50K that would pay dividends of $5,255 /yr with some growth over time.

How I would do it, would be 20K VTI and 5K VXUS each month for 10 months, but if the market fell 10%, I'd double my purchasing and if it fell 20% I'd be all in that month.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:54 AM   #4

If I were satisfied with my cash position without using any of the 250K, I'd DCA the 250K over 6 months or so (maybe a year?) into my set allocations. I am in that position actually, now, due to the sale of my business. I am waiting for the IRS dust to settle. Most of what is left over will wind up in Vanguard's STAR Fund. I've been buying it at 25K a clip in dips, about 30 days apart. IN my case some of that money is going to the IRS and some will satisfy my cash emergency fund position.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #5

Vanguard Wellington has an SEC yield of about 2.4%.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
gone traveling

I agree with Sunset. How I would split between VTI and VXUS would depend on what I have in rest of my portfolio.

I would probably put 20% of that 250k into either SCHD or VIG to give my US exposure high quality, wide moat value tilt.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'd keep it as cash, at one of the online banks that offer ~1% on savings accounts.

For the first time in my life since childhood I have more cash and short term quality bonds than equity investments.

This is not for any reason other than my personal guesses as to the overall risk/ reward matrix now.

Ha
Old 12-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I'd keep it as cash, at one of the online banks that offer ~1% on savings accounts.

For the first time in my life since childhood I have more cash and short term quality bonds than equity investments.

This is not for any reason other than my personal guesses as to the overall risk/ reward matrix now.

Ha
+1

I'm not there ... . yet, but looking closely at this.
The question is how many banks do you need if you want it all fdic covered?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
+1

FDIC is presently covering up to 250K per individual: 1) the horse's mouth: https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposit...s-english.html 2) User friendly: https://wallethub.com/edu/ncua-fdic-...-limits/10877/
Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I have been buying bonds of varying maturities from 2 years up to 8. The yield curve is steepest there, and you do not get a lot more return from locking up between 10 and 30 years. In taxable accounts I am using munis, and in tax sheltered accounts I am using corporates. My preference is for mid BBB to low A credit ratings to blend safety and yield..
DrRoy - I'm interested in doing the same. Could you share where you're purchasing your bonds and what types of yields you're seeing at different credit ratings?

Thanks!
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #11

I'd dump a bunch in emerging and international equity (to rebalance or increase my international allocation). The rest in cash.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
+1

Barclays - 1.0%
Discover - 0.95%
TIAA - 0.75%

and such. There's $750k covered. Can also hit a few savings bonus accounts, like CapOne360 for a $500 bonus and 0.75% for (?) $50k?

We do hard money real estate loans and have an embarrassment of bank account cash right now. There are worse problems.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 AM   #13

Depositaccounts.com

Savings Accounts

Synchrony Bank 1.05%
Ally Bank 1.00%
GE Capital 1.05 %

1 Year CD's

Synchrony 1.25 percent
Sallie Mae 1.25 percent

Spreading $1MM around would not be a problem. Deciding how much of a drop in the market warrants moving money, well, that's the problem.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #14

I'd buy 250k of VPU and enjoy the 3.6% yield that will be taxed at a lower rate if it is in a taxable account...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #15

Strippers and beer?

Or you can just waste it in the stock market. Make weekly purchases of a ETF like IVV (SPY, VOO, etc.) that would give at least a 2% dividend. Maybe ~$10K a week. Get a commission free ETF at Fidelity, Vanguard or where ever you can. 50 trades at $8 a trade is not much, but it's $400 wasted. Take 6 months to fully invest.

You will get some growth and some dividends.

You could also diversify your portfolio with an annuity. They are high expense vehicles, but have their place.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I'd buy 250k of VPU and enjoy the 3.6% yield that will be taxed at a lower rate if it is in a taxable account...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
what is VPU, and why is it taxed at a lower rate?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
what is VPU, and why is it taxed at a lower rate?

Public utilities ETF. Dividends are qualified. Slower growing, but better than long term cash, for now.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Public utilities ETF. Dividends are qualified. Slower growing, but better than long term cash, for now.
I figured out that it was Vanguard's Public Ute fund, and it is described as "high risk"...

Why is that?
Old 12-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I figured out that it was Vanguard's Public Ute fund, and it is described as "high risk"...

Why is that?

Where did you read that it is high risk?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:

Why is that?
It invests in stocks. These stocks are less diversified then VOO and the like since it covers one sector. 82 stocks. The majority are electric multi-utilities.

Less diversification increases risk.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote