Join Early Retirement Today

Re: what's ahead for home values?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

This may be of interest to some of you. See the link below for info on Housing futures that are scheduled to be launched this year by the CME. By this summer, you may be able to hedge instead of selling.

http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/env/h...over16250.html
http://www.macromarkets.com/index_files/indexes.htm

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb
This may be of interest to some of you. See the link below for info on Housing futures that are scheduled to be launched this year by the CME. By this summer, you may be able to hedge instead of selling.

http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/env/h...over16250.html
http://www.macromarkets.com/index_files/indexes.htm
Thanks Zeb for the info on the housing futures and options. I will be curious to see how expensive San Diego housing puts will be.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:55 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
Thanks Zeb for the info on the housing futures and options. I will be curious to see how expensive San Diego housing puts will be.
I'm sure the puts will be expensive. Shorting the futures contract would probably be a better way to go (put up your margin and roll your contracts until the correction). An interesting way to lock in the current MV of your home.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I sold, and am renting a house about 100 times better than the old house. The family hasn't been this happy since before we bought the last house. Worked perfectly for us, and I believe it will only get better.

When the old house was overvalued about 60% from what I thought it should be valued, I knew it was time to sell.
Ok, renting MIGHT "work-out", but it might not. Why take the risk?

My neighbor told me about a co-worker who sold his house and rented. 2 years with an out of state landlord, the wife is miserable. He's doing all the repairs himself - else nothing gets done - just like before. Make a long story short, they bought back into the same neighborhood for a 100k more than they sold for. Biggest mistake of their life.

Another friend sold to move to a better school district. Thought they would find a house in 6 months. Been renting for the last year and a half. Now feels priced out of the market. Refuses to buy at these prices. 4 kids in a 900 sq ft apartment. Parents are bordering on depression. Biggest mistake of thier lifes.

Why take the chance ... there's a quality of life issue here.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #45

tryan both of those cases you gave concern people who in hindsight should not have sold their homes because they failed to benefit from real estate appreciation after selling. The idea is that you shouldn't sell because you risk missing out on future appreciation. I think most people are in agreement at this point that there's not going to be much more near term appreciation. If anything the risk is the opposite, that you would fail to sell and therefore miss the opportunity to sell at todays inflated prices.

I'm not saying that one should or shouldn't sell, just that it's not at all obvious that it's riskier to sell.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #46

CNBC today featured the Real Estate Bubble, most of California, Southern Florida, Boston and Washington area, 25 % drop in prices, but gradual, not sudden.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #47

Quote:
most people are in agreement at this point that there's not going to be much more near term appreciation
The two sellers in my previous example were certianly believers that the peak had past (why else would one try to time the market) ... but that's exactly the point - no one knows the future .... and your betting quite a bit (timing the market with the primary residence).
Old 01-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #48

Tryan, I certainly agree that the transaction costs involved in selling a home make it extremely unsuited as a vehicle for market timing.

It wasn't clear that the sellers in your example were trying to time the market; there are many good reasons to sell besides trying to time the market. One good reason is simply that doing rent versus owning calculations for your situation strongly favors renting.

At any rate, I agree that when there's no strong indication that selling or holding a property is the right way to go, it's best to err on the side of holding.