Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
This thread is about Americans retiring abroad, not UK visitors visiting the U.S., and clearly Americans who choose to expatriate who want to visit the U.S. need to be very aware of the liability they expose themselves to should they return for visits without health insurance coverage.
IMO this would be a very bad plan. At minimum, I would buy Medicare Pt B, and possibly also a low end supplement. An alternative might be Medicare + an inexpensive Medicare Advantage Plan at the handiest US entry port.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
IMO this would be a very bad plan. At minimum, I would buy Medicare Pt B, and possibly also a low end supplement. An alternative might be Medicare + an inexpensive Medicare Advantage Plan at the handiest US entry port.

Ha
Medicare Advantage plans take the place of Medicare Part B & supplements . They offer an affordable product but after reading all their literature it is great for someone with minimal health problems . My SO has a Medicare Advantage Plan run by local physicians . He pays only Medicare Part B premium and nothing else . He tested it out by an ER visit which included a CT scan ,blood work , Four prescriptions and his total bill was $50.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When we were in the UK last year we visited one of those couples (an aunt and uncle) who are now in their 80's and they told us that they are now giving up traveling abroad anywhere because the health insurance portion of the travel insurance is too expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Health insurance or travel insurance (to cover only emergencies?).

Here's a U.K. plan that does not have an age limit (although you would have to make the decision if it would fit your needs):

Travel insurance over 65 | Age Concern is now Age UK
FIFM

We only had 1 instance when visitors with us have injured themselves requiring a trip to ER. BIL sliced his foot open on a water slide and they paid with cash and successfully claimed it back on their travel insurance.

PS
BIL told us that the water park also paid his medical bill as the reason he cut his foot was that it was from broken sunglasses in the splash pool at the bottom of the slide.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post

This thread is about Americans retiring abroad, not UK visitors visiting the U.S., and clearly Americans who choose to expatriate who want to visit the U.S. need to be very aware of the liability they expose themselves to should they return for visits without health insurance coverage.
Yes, I'm a US citizen considering retiring abroad - in the UK - and if I visit the US without insurance I'd buy the travel insurance that every UK visitor to the US buys to cover them in a medical emergency. Americans who retire to countries where they cannot get the level of coverage that Medicare provides or who would prefer to come back to the US for treatment would keep paying Medicare. But unless I intended to move back to the US I wouldn't keep paying medicare once I live in the UK because I'd be covered by the NHS in the UK and by reciprocal agreements in the rest of the EU and several other countries.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote