Join Early Retirement Today

What's going to happen to my vested retirement?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What's going to happen to my vested retirement?

I worked for National City Bank (NCC) for 12 years before leaving 10 years ago. They had a non-contributory company retirement plan in which I am "vested". I will not be eligible to draw on it for several more years.

Now, NCC is up to their eyeballs in subprime problems and they are in trouble. They are searching for another bank to buy them out. Actually, JP Morgan Chase was supposedly in discussions with NCC prior to the Bear Stearns debacle. Does anyone have any feel for what might happen to my pension in a merger scenario? Does the purchaser pick up the liability for the pensions, or am I screwed?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Trapshooter, what usually happens is that the purchaser picks up the liability. But even if something dire were to hapen to Nat City, you should be OK. Their recently filed annual report indicates that their pension plan is significantly overfunded.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yah, until the thieves bleed it dry!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Yah, until the thieves bleed it dry!!!
??

Assuming this is an ERISA shielded pension, it would be pretty hard for them to do anything to it. White collar folks aren't generally real eager to go to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks