What's in the Kool-Aid lately?

ejman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The board sure has gotten a lot more entertaining lately for primarily lurkers -occasional posters as myself. Between the Gold threads and the Buy and Hold sucks and the tin foil hat crowd and such I can't wait to go get my popcorn and come on over. Jeez here I wasted all this time with LBYM and asset allocation who knew all this fun was just waiting...

Last edited:
If I were you I'd take all my money, take a trip to Vegas and put it on RED!

The board sure has gotten a lot more entertaining lately for primarily lurkers -occasional posters as myself. Between the Gold threads and the Buy and Hold sucks and the tin foil hat crowd and such I can't wait to go get my popcorn and come on over. Jeez here I wasted all this time with LBYM and asset allocation who knew all this fun was just waiting...

You left out ritual sacrifice, dog photos, lottery winners, foreclosure scams and the usual political cheap shots...:LOL:

I was tempted to start a similar thread, but considering the mood I was in at the time I knew it was going to be ugly so I just took a vacation from the board for a day. That was a good choice on my part, as at the time I was thinking of [-]ranting[/-] posing my question I was convinced that some of my fellow posters looked just like this:

2050575069_6f206a4bd0.jpg

I feel better now.

Not that I don't still think some of you are that guy, it's just that it doesn't bother me as much today.

There is fear floating around for the more excitable folks and forum ownership will tacitly allow tinfoil hattery to run wild because bad news sells (aka generates lots of page views). Personally, I have been making a lot of use of the ignore poster and ignore thread functions lately.

But the jungle juice effect is all over the place. They released the results of the employee survey at work recently. Allegedly, the vast majority of responses were fawningly positive. Really? I'd love to know who is guzzling all this kool aid. Turnover is picking up at such a rapid pace that the revolving door's bearings are starting to smoke and even the usual rah-rah types I know are getting pretty disillusioned. Either the results were made up out of whole cloth, or everyone is too scared to really express themselves. I, at least, had the self respect to tell them what I thought about my "flair."

ejman, wtf, you joined in Feb. 2007 and still have the designation, "recycles dryer sheets"! What is the secret of your success, how do you post so seldom?;) What advice do you have for the rest of us?

They released the results of the employee survey at work recently. Allegedly, the vast majority of responses were fawningly positive. Really? I'd love to know who is guzzling all this kool aid. Turnover is picking up at such a rapid pace that the revolving door's bearings are starting to smoke and even the usual rah-rah types I know are getting pretty disillusioned. Either the results were made up out of whole cloth, or everyone is too scared to really express themselves. I, at least, had the self respect to tell them what I thought about my "flair."

My tin foil hat goes off to you for being honest.

YouTube - Joanna Quits

At former megaconglomocorp, the employee surveys were anonymous, though they asked for your job grade and cost center, and in a small group like R&D, it couldn't have been too hard to put 2 and 2 together. But I figured if they didn't want my opinion, they shouldn't have asked for it...

ejman, wtf, you joined in Feb. 2007 and still have the designation, "recycles dryer sheets"! What is the secret of your success, how do you post so seldom?;) What advice do you have for the rest of us?

I wear a specially designed tin foil helmet. It reflects brain waves so that a thought hardly ever gets out....

So why do tinfoil hats have the little devil horns?

'cause pointy metallic thingies attract lightning. More free energy.:D

Buy the index, half on each.:hide:

:LOL:
Buy the index? puh-lease! Indexing is so 1990s....

Black is clearly the next big thing and for a [-]small[/-] fee, I will help you [-]invest[/-] put your money on black. No guarantees of success of course... well, except for me.;)

As for the OP, I don't know what's in the Kool-Aid, but it's getting old...

Although, I have to say, I still don't quite understand the tin foil hat reference. According to Wikipedia, " the phrase serves as a byword for paranoia and persecutory delusions, and is associated with conspiracy theorists". But Wikipedia adds "one may wear the hat in the belief that it acts to shield the brain from such influences as electromagnetic fields, or against mind control and/or mind reading; or attempt to limit the transmission of voices directly into the brain". It seems to me that forum members who subscribe to Bogle's "ignore the noise, stay the course" mantra, may be considered tin foil hat wearers themselves. So perhaps we all wear tin foil hats. Could it be that our hats are simply designed to block different wavelengths?;)

:LOL:
Although, I have to say, I still don't quite understand the tin foil hat reference.​
My experience predates the internets back to my former manner of making a living. Policing in a nation that had decided that the mentally disturbed should be freed from institutions and placed in the warm and loving care of, well, nobody, meant that cops often had to deal with the disturbed with almost no resources. Performing that function in a city and counties that were totally unprepared for the role of dealing with people who were whacked out to a degree or two less than that legally requiring them to be locked up to prevent harm to themselves or others left one with very few alternatives. No magistrate would sign a commitment order for someone without a clear explanation of just how they were a danger to others, and "crazy as a bedbug", or "freaking out the whole neighborhood" were not sufficient in their minds. Although the woman who shot a hole in my car one night was found deserving of commitment.

So, what does one do? Improvise!

That old cop standby used for situations in which the closer-to-sane could be warned off from continued disturbing behavior not quite deserving of immediate jail therapy - "If I get another call back here, somebody is going to jail!" - was totally useless. You can't fix imaginary problems without imaginary solutions. So, I've chased herds of imaginary snakes out of houses, performed exorcisms, convinced evil imaginary friends to go away and never come back, analyzed the markings on spaceships hovering overhead to determine that they were actually from a friendly planet, and occasionally made a tinfoil hat to block the crazy rays.

Things work much better now, but back then it was do-what-you-can with whatever you had handy. When it's 3 AM and the whole neighborhood is up in arms, and no facility is going to take the disturbed person, you have to come up with something to calm things down and restore peace.

Similar field-expedient fixes worked with the closer-to-sane but far-from-intelligent as well. I've performed marriages, decreed divorces, property settlements, created child-visitation schedules, and even determined paternity a few times.

My experience predates the internets back to my former manner of making a living. Policing in a nation that had decided that the mentally disturbed should be freed from institutions and placed in the warm and loving care of, well, nobody, meant that cops often had to deal with the disturbed with almost no resources. Performing that function in a city and counties that were totally unprepared for the role of dealing with people who were whacked out to a degree or two less than that legally requiring them to be locked up to prevent harm to themselves or others left one with very few alternatives. No magistrate would sign a commitment order for someone without a clear explanation of just how they were a danger to others, and "crazy as a bedbug", or "freaking out the whole neighborhood" were not sufficient in their minds. Although the woman who shot a hole in my car one night was found deserving of commitment.

So, what does one do? Improvise!

That old cop standby used for situations in which the closer-to-sane could be warned off from continued disturbing behavior not quite deserving of immediate jail therapy - "If I get another call back here, somebody is going to jail!" - was totally useless. You can't fix imaginary problems without imaginary solutions. So, I've chased herds of imaginary snakes out of houses, performed exorcisms, convinced evil imaginary friends to go away and never come back, analyzed the markings on spaceships hovering overhead to determine that they were actually from a friendly planet, and occasionally made a tinfoil hat to block the crazy rays.

Things work much better now, but back then it was do-what-you-can with whatever you had handy. When it's 3 AM and the whole neighborhood is up in arms, and no facility is going to take the disturbed person, you have to come up with something to calm things down and restore peace.

Similar field-expedient fixes worked with the closer-to-sane but far-from-intelligent as well. I've performed marriages, decreed divorces, property settlements, created child-visitation schedules, and even determined paternity a few times.

So the crazy sh!t you see on "Cops" is real! Wow... You well deserve your retirement my friend.

So the crazy sh!t you see on "Cops" is real! Wow... You well deserve your retirement my friend.

I don't know, he may kind of miss this. Lots of improvisation and novel situations, with enough danger to keep a guy from getting soft.

What's not to like?

Ha

Back
Top Bottom