Join Early Retirement Today

whats the best savings
Old 07-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

whats the best savings

if i wanted to place money into an account to draw the most interest what would it be, and with who it would be with

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: whats the best savings
Old 07-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try EmigrantDirect. They're currently paying 3.50% on savings account

http://www.emigrant-direct.com/

Old 07-31-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Try EmigrantDirect. They're currently paying 3.50% on savings account

http://www.emigrant-direct.com/
Agree with Emigrant Direct but also consider US I bonds if you do not need the interest payments now and can lock up the funds for at least a year. (currently 4.8% and secure as secure can be)
Old 07-31-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed, Emigrant Direct is offering the highest yield right now for MM accounts. I normally look at bankrate.com for the best yield. Go to www.bankrate.com , then click on checking/savings, Then MMA/Savings accounts, then Search by 100 highest yield, or if you prefer by state. Then it shows a list of the top yield as well as minimum balance, etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23
I normally look at bankrate.com for the best yield.
Many times I found that my local banks offer better rates than what I find on bankrate.com.

When I am ready to buy a CD, I just research the rates of a dozen or so local banks and they usually have a special that beats the bankrate rates.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Many times I found that my local banks offer better rates than what I find on bankrate.com.

When I am ready to buy a CD, I just research the rates of a dozen or so local banks and they usually have a special that beats the bankrate rates.
This has been my experience as well. I check bankrate.com but have never
failed to meet or beat their "BEST" rates on CDs and MMs within
my
local area.

JG
Old 08-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #7

A question - it seems to me that 28-day t-bills are paying more than our local banks, and for smalller increments.

If this is true, why choose a CD?

Or do I just have bad rates at my local banks?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
A question -* *it seems to me that 28-day t-bills are paying more than our local banks, and for smalller increments.*

If this is true, why choose a CD?

Or do I just have bad rates at my local banks?
Bad banks.

Perhaps credit unions in your area will offer a better deal, or any of the popular online accounts mentioned here. Your local CUs want your money-- Oahu alone has 97 different CUs and I'm eligible for membership in at least a dozen of them just by being a state resident. Even the ones catering to the military will frequently welcome you if you have a military relative or make a donation to a military charity. The rules are on their membership pages.

Then there's Pentagon FCU, Corus, & ING. Search for those terms among the old threads (or check their membership requirements) and choose one that makes you comfortable.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #9

Are there any other catches to those US gov't Series I-bonds? I looked into them, and other than having to lock it up for a year, and having to pay a 3-month penalty if you redeem it within 5 years, it seems like a good deal. I currently have some money at Emigrant, but thought about putting some into some I-bonds. Only down-side is that I like being able to have easy access to the Emigrant account, even if I never touch it. And so far, I've been a good boy...haven't touched it yet, except to add more money!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Are there any other catches to those US gov't Series I-bonds?* I looked into them, and other than having to lock it up for a year, and having to pay a 3-month penalty if you redeem it within 5 years, it seems like a good deal.* I currently have some money at Emigrant, but thought about putting some into some I-bonds.* Only down-side is that I like being able to have easy access to the Emigrant account, even if I never touch it.* And so far, I've been a good boy...haven't touched it yet, except to add more money!*
I bonds are good. CDs have been yielding more in our tax bracket but I wouldn't hesitate to jump on an I bond if the yield was right.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #11

Corus bank has their 12 month CD up to 4.31 effective 8/2/05.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I found 4% on a m.m. from a credit union in Neenah, WI but its a 70k min (I think)..

-m
Old 08-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I found 4% on a m.m. from a credit union in Neenah, WI but its a 70k min (I think)..

-m

It's $75,000 min. and you have to have an active checking account with them. (communityfirstcu.com)