Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Value of your retirement portfolio? See my definition in the post.
$100,000 - $250,000 5 2.05%
$250,001 - $500,000 12 4.92%
$500,001 - $1M 43 17.62%
$1M - $1,500,000 46 18.85%
$1,500,001 - $2M 38 15.57%
$2,000,001 - $2,500,000 23 9.43%
$2,500,001 - $3M 19 7.79%
$3M - $5M 35 14.34%
$5M - $7M 6 2.46%
$7M+ 17 6.97%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some posters have said that it is not the size of your portfolio, but what you do with it.

PS. About a man's hand size, do I have to post that Snopes article again?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As Meadbh says, how would I omit the value of the inheritance? I received one a few years ago, which was added to the money already in my taxable account. Should I just subtract the original value of the inheritance, or calculate what it would be worth now, if I hadn't been making withdrawals from that part of my stash?

I understand the reasoning for wanting us to include only money from our own sweat and labor, but it complicates things a bit for me. Besides, a fairly significant portion of my portfolio came from the sale of rental properties. I owned them for less than 2 years but it was during a boom in the market, so I made a nice profit. The properties were managed for me, and my only "sweat" was sitting by my fax machine to sign and fax the paperwork from the purchases and subsequent sales. Not much work involved.

If the rules change and I am allowed to vote based on the total portfolio size, I'll participate. Otherwise, I think I'll sit this one out.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Not to poke the bear... but what about folks with gold plated pensions, but not a huge nest egg? Are they poorer than someone with no pension, but a bigger nest egg?
I would fall into this category. While I don't have a million dollar nest egg, I have a nice pension and health care. I also own my home and have a modest 457 and savings.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

This "size" poll shows up every so often. I wish there's a way to link them all to see how the poll results change with time.

Inheritance has not come up in the past, to my knowledge. Other questions that have arisen include whether the amount should be divided by two for a couple. That last one would knock me down a couple of notches.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've never felt comfortable revealing the size of my portfolio, but I do have large hands.
As I always say, big hands, big gloves
Old 05-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

It is a lot smaller today than it was a year ago. :-(

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:12 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
Anyway, please vote on the size of your retirement portfolio: 401k (or similar plan) + IRA's + Taxable accounts. Do not include inheritance (subtract its approx. value from your total), houses, vacation homes, cars, or other valuables.
IMO, this would show saved our sweat earned money and saved for retirement.
I voted, but like many others I didn't understand your exclusion of inheritance and the others etc. (please note that I never had any so it didn't change my number).
Old 05-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess excluding "expected inheritance" makes sense but if one has already received it, seems like ok to include as that is what they retire with.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
I guess excluding "expected inheritance" makes sense but if one has already received it, seems like ok to include as that is what they retire with.
It really depends what the OP was looking for. I worked for a company that had a pension plan would start paying full benefits at 50 with 25 years of service. It also had heath insurance coverage in retirement. It blew apart in the tech bust and I walked away with nothing (too little time and too young). I think the OP is looking for what you saved yourself which may not be a good determining factor for readiness for RE as a big inheritance or a good early paying pension may be enough for many who saved very little. But everyone may have a different way to look at it.
May pension plans were replaced with 401k plans, so it it really fair to include the 401k? Some pensions require participants contribute to a pension, but not included here.
It's an open board which in my mind is good. Its can be educational to see how different people look at things. This is just another data point for many people to understand RE.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I think what the OP may have been referring to with the expected inheritance is what you plan for as an expected inheritance to you heirs.... I guess in their mind that money is then not available to use for your retirement .... if that is the case then IMO it is a silly constraint as I think few retirees think that way... in our case what our kids inherit will be what is leftover... or as I tell them.. "estimating error"!

There should be another choice... none of your damn business.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are in the middle of the pack but that includes some company investment that turned into a decent payout. Kind of guessing that would be in the inheritance catagory but like others, not sure how to extract it.

Those with great pensions are in a different category than the target of this poll IMHO.

Every time one of these pops up there is some amount of controversy about the value. I kind of like them. I like to see where others are and guess at how secure they feel. Probably just reveals my insecurity about "when do I have enough".
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #32

I always knew I would never have a $10M portfolio, as long before it got that big, I would be out of the rat race...

The rentals did seem to jump up a bit in the last few years, both in terms of cash flow, and value. Most are paid off.

I set the FIRE date before I really knew what I had, now I am just gong through the motions until that date in July.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think what the OP may have been referring to with the expected inheritance is what you plan for as an expected inheritance to you heirs.... I guess in their mind that money is then not available to use for your retirement .... if that is the case then IMO it is a silly constraint as I think few retirees think that way... in our case what our kids inherit will be what is leftover... or as I tell them.. "estimating error"!

Maybe the OP can clarify, but I though "expected inheritances" were not addressed directly... but would assume it should be ignored. I took the "inheritance" reference to mean that you should subtract out any inheritance + growth related to any inheritance already received.

In reading it again, it did not really specify a pension other than maybe include it as being similar to a 401k. I would guess the question to the OP would be "do you want the present value of a pension to be included?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
um...er...isn't there? You just don't answer the poll!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
um...er...isn't there? You just don't answer the poll!
+1. I didn't vote but I peeked at the distribution .
Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'm waiting for the how long is your Johnson poll.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
but I do have large hands.
Where have I heard that before; nevertheless, some on here might refer to you as "Little REWahoo"
Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm waiting for the how long is your Johnson poll.
Well.... Lyndon was 6'3.5" but Andrew was only 5'10" but maybe you were talking about something else?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post

Anyway, please vote on the size of your retirement portfolio: 401k (or similar plan) + IRA's + Taxable accounts. Do not include inheritance (subtract its approx. value from your total), houses, vacation homes, cars, or other valuables.
IMO, this would show saved our sweat earned money and saved for retirement.
I can understand not including a "potential" inheritance but some us may have major investments in cars, collectables, etc. I know I have "collectables" that I have bought as investments and many (not all) have increased significantly in value. Similar to stocks in my 401k and IRA.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I can understand not including a "potential" inheritance but some us may have major investments in cars, collectables, etc. I know I have "collectables" that I have bought as investments and many (not all) have increased significantly in value. Similar to stocks in my 401k and IRA.
+1 not that I have any collectables mind you but they should count in someone's net worth, unless that lint in my belly button is actually valuable?