Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
...7 new fully loaded Cougars...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe those of us who were the children of Depression era parents DO have a leg up on the proceeding generations: most all of us didn't grow up with a sense of entitlement I think...EXCEPT for my friend I told you of earlier who has had 7 new fully loaded Cougars and 1 new Camry from Daddy and then Mother to this date (I forgot to mention the number of new cars she has been bought = 8!). I never could quite figure out what was wrong with her parents to cheat her out of life's lessons like that....go figure?
That is mind-boggling! I would have felt like a princess if my (Depression era) parents had even bought me one old used beater car. They never would have even dreamed of buying me a car, and never did, though they did buy me a pretty blue bike with a basket and a horn when I was eight years old. So, I was luckier than some.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

My Father was bigger than me - not Italian nor a Godfather but bigger:

'Now that you are the first in the family to graduate from college and have landed a job making the big bucks you get to help put your younger Sister thru.'

True.

heh heh heh -

P.S. I did.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You were luckier than me, W2R. I would have been thrilled and delighted with a new Huffy in my youth instead of the old beater I was stuck with that was waaay to big for me. 'Course it did build amazing strength in my legs...ha!

unclemick, I'd give anything to have had a wonderful brother like you. Lucky girl!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
You were luckier than me, W2R. I would have been thrilled and delighted with a new Huffy in my youth instead of the old beater I was stuck with that was waaay to big for me. 'Course it did build amazing strength in my legs...ha!
I know I was thrilled and delighted! It was one of the big highlights of my childhood. I'll bet you did get strong trying to ride that old bike that was too big for you but still, a shiny new blue bike (not a Huffy, but a Schwinn) with a horn and basket was a dream come true and I wish you could have had one, too. My best friend got a beater the year before I got my Schwinn, and I was so envious of her for that year. But the next year she was envious of me, instead. So, we traded bikes a lot when we rode together.

On the other hand, I knew girls in high school whose fathers gave them a new Corvette for their 16th birthday and I'll bet you did too! My parents didn't go for that sort of thing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #26

I knew lots of families that bought brand new cars for their kids. Mine did, but for my brother. I got the 7 year old full-size Blazer that my dad used for work. I loved it way more than any new car, plus it saved my life in a rollover.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #27

I still have my old Schwinn Hollywood coaster bike with basket in the front. It was a hand-me-down from my older sister. My parents would never have bought us a car as a teenager. I had the advantage of growing up in a steel mill town where no one got a brand new car handed to them as a gift. At least not anyone that I knew. The only kids who drove a car to high school were boys in the shop course who refurbished an old car themselves. My parents did spend money on us of course, but it was for things like piano lessons, the dermatologist, the dentist, and a college savings account.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Mega,

I am not saying this about the couple (like I said I think they were naive and over-confident), regarding "stupid", I like this quote....

"Life is tough but life is tougher if you are stupid."

John Wayne
... there but for the grace of god ...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I still have my old Schwinn Hollywood coaster bike with basket in the front.
My sister had a little Hollywood. I had a Schwinn Stingray with a two-speed "kickback" shifter in the rear hub. It was blue that glowed a cool purple color in the streetlights. Later I had a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Both were great bikes--heavy, but very well made. I practically lived on them when I was a kid.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #30

At times I have to wonder if growing up in an environment of at least relative priviledge and material abundance is a handicap.

There seem to be no end of case studies of people who had their material wants readily satisfied in their youth who seem to be either incapable of economic self sufficiency or unwilling to face up to the reality of changing circumstances.

I'm sure that I am not alone in thinking that there but for some early life experiences and well delivered parental guidance go I......
Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #31

My point exactly, traineeinvestor.
There is a new study that came out last year (I think it was) that stated that people who successfully join groups like the Navy Seals--know for the hardship they have to endure during testing--come from homes where there was hardship to some degree. It seems that an early life of abuse or deprivation toughens one for the rocky bumps in the road of life. I'll try and see if I can find this and post it as it is really interesting.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love the "" - seen before and watch regularly.

I think there's an "every other generation" effect:
1. A person works hard and spoils their kids.
2. These kids are spoiled, unsuccessful, and
3. Raise kids who are austere and successful, who
4. Spoil their kids
5. Rinse, lather, repeat

Another example: tattoos.
1. My father's generation had lots of tattoos from wars.
2. My generation said "gosh those are ugly and avoided".
3. My kids generation adopts tattoos, no experience.
4. Their kids will say "gosh those are ugly and will avoid"
5. Rinse, lather, repeat

So we gotta go back to walking around with "donkeys carrying pots on their back" to recover....
Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #33

Video discovery credit to CFB The same CFB who hasn't been seen in almost a year?

Back when I w*rked for a living I had a younger guy in my group who had grown up in the ghetto but had a solid middle class home life as an only child who didn't want for too much. One day I saw him at his desk looking at a folder of some crime scene photos that I didn't recognize, so I asked him what was up.

Quote:
This is my reality folder. It's full of pictures from some of the nastier dope houses I've been in over the years. Every now and then, when I start to feel down on something, I pull it out and just look at them to remind me of how crappy life could be. I can go home and not mind that there are a few dirty dishes in the sink from breakfast, or my neighbors have something that I don't, because it brings me back to reality of how good my life really is.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had a girlfriend like that in Houston who must be 59 now. Never married. Never had a baby. Never bought a house. Never bought her own car (Daddy bought her Cougars from high school until he died, and now Mother bought her a new Camry--of course, all fully loaded). Never even bought her own furniture for her rented condo. .

We must know the same person except my friend has been married and divorced twice (Dad paid ) . New car fully loaded when she was 56 ( Dad paid ) . New furniture , fence , new appliances , kitchen re-do (Dad paid ).I have no idea what she will do if her parents die and have used up her inheritance on nursing homes because they are getting to that stage .
Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #35

Some guy will get ahold of my girlfriend and rape her of every dime she has. She won't catch on until she has nothing left. The whole situation is sad to me as I've seen her already be a total fool for some married guy who she worked for...yeah, this is real...FREE for 3 years so she could stay in his office with him at his business. All I want to know is: where do I go to find someone that stupid to clean the house for me now? I hate cleaning..ha!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some guy will get ahold of my girlfriend and rape her of every dime she has. She won't catch on until she has nothing left. The whole situation is sad to me as I've seen her already be a total fool for some married guy who she worked for...yeah, this is real...FREE for 3 years so she could stay in his office with him at his business. All I want to know is: where do I go to find someone that stupid to clean the house for me now? I hate cleaning..ha!

I don't know how long ago this was.... but since she was NOT in his family she can go to the state wage board and get back pay... there IS a minimum wage law....

I do have to admit.... you friend is 'sadder' than mine... at least she only get's screwed over, but never worked for free...
Old 10-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That is mind-boggling! I would have felt like a princess if my (Depression era) parents had even bought me one old used beater car.
That was me. Dad did buy me a car, a 1956 Plymouth, when I was 15. He paid $50 for it and we had to tow it home from the junkyard. I didn't get to drive it until after I replaced the manual transmission in it.

I was just ecstatic to have a car! But I still didn't drive it on a regular basis because he expected me to pay for the gasoline. Life was so hard then....