Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mid 40's. Travel ends up being ~$20k - $25k/year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Another point of reference is are most of the posters on this thread including ALL expenses incurred during the travel trip (dining, etc) in their travel number or just the "pure" (airfare/hotel, etc) travel expenses?
I include all expenses, as it is much easier to track this way, since I track all my expenses.
I include all.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

We guesstimated $10,000-$12,000 per year( all expenses included) for the first 10 years of retirement. We are in year three, and have averaged less than that so far. However, we are not traveling like we thought we would. Since retiring, we don't have the need to "escape" anymore-lol. Our dog is getting older and does not tolerate us being gone very well, and we have also discovered we don't like being away more than a week at a time.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I include all expenses. We don't eat out all 3 meals while traveling because we will gain weight. We usually stay at a hotel with free breakfast, have a healthy snack in afternoon and then do dinner out.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
No budget per se, I just track total spending. So far, 2 1/2 yrs into ER, I have spent only about 1.0k on travel, all local. I'm surprised my interest in it has waned since ER, as before that I would peruse brochures regularly and thnik "When I'm retired, I will go".
Same here - we spend a lot of time in-state. But I traveled a lot the last 15 years of my career; the last two years were 100% and the years prior to that averaged around 50%. My penultimate job was as an expat in Europe so we took a lot of advantage of proximity.

Lately, we are content to spend our time locally most of the time.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Our budget is $25,000 not including kennel costs which are a separate line item.
Lots of mentions of pet boarding costs here. I knew there was a reason I don't have any!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

My son moves in and when I get home I treat them to fancy dinner for their pay:
))
Old 05-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Lots of mentions of pet boarding costs here. I knew there was a reason I don't have any!
Me too! Not only that, the vet bills reported in other threads are staggering, and on top of that, personally I am just not willing to take on the responsibility of caring for a dog or cat at this point in my life.

Frank came up with a great idea, though. He bought me a soft, furry, squishy, huggable teddy bear to substitute for a puppy dog.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Frank came up with a great idea, though. He bought me a soft, furry, squishy, huggable teddy bear to substitute for a puppy dog.
I think this would be a bit more fun!

Old 05-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Does it pee on your floor and chew your shoes too?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Does it pee and chew your shoes too?
No, you have to do that yourself.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That's cute!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't live without my doggies) Everything else would get cut first although we are downsizing the number by natural attrition.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Love animals, but just not willing to sacrifice some entertainment/travel plus the inevitable expenses later in their lives.
However truly understand those attached to their pets.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Love animals, but just not willing to sacrifice some entertainment/travel plus the inevitable expenses later in their lives.
However truly understand those attached to their pets.
Pet sitters (and vet bills) add up,but 10 year relationship with our pup makes it worth it. However, once he passes (he's 12 or so, a rescue so not really sure) we won't get another. Will give us a few more bucks for travel If we get an itch we'll foster a rescue.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Pet sitters (and vet bills) add up,but 10 year relationship with our pup makes it worth it. However, once he passes (he's 12 or so, a rescue so not really sure) we won't get another. Will give us a few more bucks for travel If we get an itch we'll foster a rescue.

We love our dog too, although we have agreed that once he passes we will be pet-less at least for several years. I would really like to do a year of travel around the world but cannot leave our dog. It’s a stretch to leave him for 6-7 weeks this year and I can’t see doing a longer trip without him. I just hope that by the time he passes (he is 8 but is a small dog so could easily live another 8 years), we’ll still be healthy and fit enough to do the travel we feel we can’t do now.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:36 AM   #57

12k -- 3 international + 1 domestic trip of 2 weeks or longer. Single, no pets. I don't include all expenses as I'd have to eat, go out anyway. I only track hotel, flights, cruising bc that's an expense I wouldn't have at home
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Another point of reference is are most of the posters on this thread including ALL expenses incurred during the travel trip (dining, etc) in their travel number or just the "pure" (airfare/hotel, etc) travel expenses?
I include all expenses, as it is much easier to track this way, since I track all my expenses.
For me the Dining comes out of the Dining out budget, not the vacation budget. Hotel, gas and oil, air and train fare, RV costs, admission fees only. Suppose I should include auto depreciatiion.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Does it pee on your floor and chew your shoes too?
I can't find a separate clip on You Tube, but in the movie "Sleeper" by Woody Allen, there is a scene about 51 minutes in where Allen's character Miles is introduced to "Rags," a mechanical talking dog. Allen replies, "Is he housebroken or will he be leaving little batteries all over the floor?" LOL
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Another reason we've been spending more on travel is that we no longer stay in B&Bs or small inns (we stopped staying in hotels decades ago). We now only rent houses or apartments (in EU, often only apartments are available) and only those with 2 baths. We don't share a bathroom at home and haven't since our newlywed days....secret to a good marriage IMO! Ours is in year 46.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote