Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm retiring at the end of the month - talk about poor timing. But I am prepared. I have enough in bond index funds of various durations to not have to sell any stock for 10 years. Longer if my assumption of zero social security proves to be false (I'm 54).

I do like to bottom fish. I've been searching for strong companies in sectors that have been badly beaten down. I made a small purchase of Bank of America (BAC).
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
It would be great for us to use the 'crisis' as an opportunity to re-examine some of the fundamental assumptions upon which our society (and economy) are built. For example, is the assumption of an ever-expanding economy consistent with a grossly overpopulated planet with finite resources, especially when expanding economic activity leads to increasing environmental damage? What is a maximally-just and sustainable society/economic system?
Well put. During the great depression birth rates dropped below the replacement level for the first time in American history.

Quote:
My basic math shows that there is about 120 people per square mile, or roughly 230,000 sq feet to house, feed, recreate, transport each person.
There's a lot wrong with that argument. Here's one problem:

Of the earth's 148,940,000 kmē (57.5 million square miles) of land, approximately 19,824,000 kmē (7.65 million square miles) are arable.[1] However, arable land is currently being lost at the rate of over 100,000 kmē (38,610 square miles) per year.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

that's why they invented greenhouses

someone came up with a crazy idea to use building roofs, docks and barges in NYC for mini-greenhouses. theory is that we can grow enough food here to feed ourselves and there won't be any use of fertilizer made up of crazy chemicals like they use in insect repellants
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've heard this a gazillion times in the last few days and it's very misleading.

With dividends reinvested, it was back to break-even in 1944. Not great, but a heck of a lot better than the 1955 claim.

Keep in mind also that if you were fortunate enough to go all-in at the bottom in 1932, an 89% drop from 1929 peak to 1932 trough means you turned $1,000 in 1932 to about $9,000 in 1944 with dividends reinvested. Doesn't seem like waiting until 1955, or even 1944, was a good idea.
I think it just takes a long time to work off the excesses built up. The market in the 80's and 90's went up from a 1,000 to 11,000.

Also, in previous bear markets (in the 30's and 40's), and in the (70's to early 80's), the investing public pretty much abandoned stocks. No one went to work on Wall St, etc. There hasn't been that kind of a wash out yet.

I dont think the market here will drop by more than 50 or 60%. I hope not 89%.

In the 30's, if you bought in the middle, you were pretty much range bound. Similar with the 70's, a choppy market.

Also, there was so much "engineering" going on in the mid to late 90's (every company had that "smooth" 10-15% growth), you factor in the accounting, options expense, etc....that boom is going to look like a mirage the farther we get from it.
John23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 AM   #25

Doubt I'll be able to profit either. Just focused on paying off debts as fast as I can. Usually I like to shop craigslist for "deals" when the economy slows, but I'm paying off my loans etc now instead.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #26

Man, if you're waiting for something lower than it is now, good luck! I was happy to be able to get the last of my cash back into the market 10/10. I'll be going HELOC if it goes lower.

I think one solid piece of good news and the market will go way up. I'm not going to try to time the last 10% out of this market. Then we'll see how the recession goes.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I'm debt free and have been in cash since I retired last year.
Not only have I not lost a penny, my nest egg has increased.

Now diss me for being a deflationist... as usual.
Might suit you well for the next 24 months.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote