Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Traveling for a longer time, and not having the fear of overwork when I get home.

My parents treated my sister's family and our family to a majority together week in Maui in 1995. We returned home on 12/23. I was scheduled to work 12/26. On my answering machine which I checked at 1AM on 12/24 was that I was needed to work on 12/24 and be on call for 24 hr. Needless to say my decision to seek other employment 6 months earlier was cemented with that message.

The last time I travelled was a 2 week driving trip, and I was 100% present and enjoying the experience. No worries about work when we got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #62

The sense of calm and contentment that's come over me in such a short time.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #63

It's really nice! There is still not enough time. The people at work seem to be muddling through just fine without me!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar
Couch potato may be a good investment strategy but it is an awful retirement strategy!
Nice line!
Probably the most insightful observation about retirement choices ever made.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Don't sit around not doing all those things you planned to do. There will come a point where you are physically unable to do so...
DWs friend was a model but during the last few years of her daughter's life (she died of CF at 40), she relied on cooking as an outlet. Her weight got out of control. Now she need knee replacements but must lose the weight before getting them. Catch 22 and so far just getting more immobilized.

So we travel with our fit friends and she is relegated to driving trips, getting worse.

(I had 18 months of plantar fasciitis, spider bite, and then a broken bone all in my left leg. Just finally OK lately to resume exercise. Dodged a bullet.)
Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds wonderful but I am conflicted

Reading this thread makes me realize how wonderful life is on the other side. However, I do wonder if I do pull the trigger if I will fret so much about outliving my savings that it will take all of the joy out of my retirement.

I an 62 and 5/12 years old and emotionally ready. However neither my wife nor I have a pension, so for us it will be SS and a conservative spend down of the assets we have accumulated (most of which are in tax deferred savings).

I am more conservative financially than my wife and this will be a challenge as well when the day comes.

I have two daughters, one that is still in school working on her PhD unfortunately in the humanities. She has a full ride but we help her out with gas, phone and some other expenses. I don't mind that at all while we have two incomes but it makes me think I should stay employed until she is more independent.

I also know that I need to focus on my health, lose weight etc. and that is tough to do with my current job which requires > a 40 hour week. What good is working a few more years if it takes a decade off your life?

Man oh man am I conflicted!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

My phone hasn't rung in the middle of the night. I haven't had a 2:00 AM conference call since I left.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I found that locking myself into certain expectations,( ie: things I would definitely do in retirement) was just wrong thinking. I have changed the things I do and dont do, quite a bit in retirement. And all for the good.
I think what Helois said is one of the most important things I have noticed also since I have retired nearly two years ago. You learn to live more in the moment and be more spontaneous. I still get up around 6am and have my day planned out, but can change it on a whim if need be. It is Wonderful. I do not have to deal with difficult people anymore.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
It's funny reading all the posts from the nap fans. I had just started to appreciate them myself when my wife recently joined me in retirement. Now she shames me out of them with all her "newly-retired" energy/antsy-ness that I recall having when I first retired.
Nap shaming? What is the world coming to?!?

Most days I hate that my DW continues to w*rk. But then I think about how much of a busy body she is and that would most CERTAINLY cramp my hammock-life-style so I continue to support her in her decision.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I have recently started to explore other channels like meetup.com to expand my social horizons a bit, and it's actually been a great experience just getting out there and meeting all kinds of new & different people. That's another great thing about retirement -- you can go to any meetup, anywhere, anytime, without worrying about your schedule!
You better watch out for the riff-raff you meet on the street. There are some unsavory folks out there. Especially the ones that enjoy a nice cold beverage at the local watering hole.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired for 6 1/2 years now. The biggest surprise is how easy it is to be content, happy and fulfilled. Sometimes just poking around the house is fine with me.

Typically I play golf or go fishing on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I go to the gym, hiking and home & garden on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I take weekends off for entertainment and social activities. Also, I reserve the right to mix it up and do anything I want at anytime!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's Your Top Retirement Insight

Coming up on my two year anniversary, I would say I agree with so many of the previous comments about what the Italians call Il dolce farniente (the sweetness of doing nothing) BUT you requested my TOP Insight- so I think I would say it is this:

People who are not retired understand retirement the same way people who have never had children understand what it is like to have children. You can read about it, watch others do it, imagine it, investigate it, but until you experience it, you really cannot KNOW what it feels like. But it changes you. The lack of time pressures makes things easier, but also different. You may not get the same sense of relief from things like "getting a list of things done" or "vacation," because there is no need for relief from anything.

This disconnect can make some people uncomfortable- just as childless couples and new parent couples sometimes drift apart.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post

This disconnect can make some people uncomfortable- just as childless couples and new parent couples sometimes drift apart.

I can agree 100%. When you so young (41 in my case) and child FREE () you start realizing that you are a lot different than your peers, and the things you have in common are damn minimal.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Along these lines, here's an article from nextavenue.org, which is a good site for aging-related stories:

Living Without a Calendar in Retirement

Quote:
You’d have to drag me kicking and screaming back to a life so regimented it requires a fail-safe system to maintain. For the most part, my routine-averse nature and I have waited a lifetime to be free.

For me — and many who by choice, or chance, now eat when we’re hungry, nap when we’re drowsy and plan as we go — retirement’s biggest perk is the freedom to concoct our own mix of solitude, socializing, purposeful engagement and…
-
-
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I am amazed at how each day is different. Some days I have energy and go for walks and get 6-7 miles in. Other days I am lucky to get much more than a mile total! What I love most though is that while my middle son has been looking for a job, I have been able to go with him to the cities where he has had interviews (not a helicopter dad, he asks me to come). He goes off to the interview while DW and I see the new city, win - win. He just got the offer he wanted (I wish it was for more $, but he isn't a materialistic guy), it is only 90 minutes away so we can see him frequently (if he wants us to 😛 ). I have felt less pressure to DO things, and have time to eat better at a similar or lower cost. Life is simpler.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #76

One interesting thing I've found is how hectic weekends seem now. With the majority of people employed, a lot of my scheduled activities (church committee meetings, a French discussion group. Toastmasters district events) tend to crowd my weekends. Weekdays are a lot more leisurely!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post
Reading this thread makes me realize how wonderful life is on the other side. However, I do wonder if I do pull the trigger if I will fret so much about outliving my savings that it will take all of the joy out of my retirement.

I would not retire until I was as sure as I could be that I would not outlive my savings.

I an 62 and 5/12 years old and emotionally ready. However neither my wife nor I have a pension, so for us it will be SS and a conservative spend down of the assets we have accumulated (most of which are in tax deferred savings).

After sufficient retirement savings, have you figured out what your tax management strategy will be (i.e., roth conversions to reduce rmd's and social security taxation)

I am more conservative financially than my wife and this will be a challenge as well when the day comes.

Have you had these types of discussions (i.e., regarding handling finances, expectations regarding time spent together and apart, etc. Studies have shown couples are more successful in retirement if they have these discussions beforehand)

I have two daughters, one that is still in school working on her PhD unfortunately in the humanities. She has a full ride but we help her out with gas, phone and some other expenses. I don't mind that at all while we have two incomes but it makes me think I should stay employed until she is more independent.

It will be hard enough psychologically dealing with an end to a paycheck, let alone the added responsibility of supporting others. I would make sure I had this figured out (and agreed upon).

I also know that I need to focus on my health, lose weight etc. and that is tough to do with my current job which requires > a 40 hour week. What good is working a few more years if it takes a decade off your life?

Retirement without health is meaningless. Ill health in retirement is not only costly, but restricts all other activities. Have you made a plan to address your health/exercise?

Man oh man am I conflicted!
There is a reason you are conflicted: you raise several red flags that are looming in the background. I would think these things through before pulling the plug. Rather than out and out retiring immediately, you might want to (as I did), put less and less emotional/psychological time and energy into your work and transfer that energy into preparations for retirement. This helped me to be ready when the time came tremendously.

There is also a thread regarding things to do before retiring. You might want to search for it.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

One year in. Not using all of my yearly "income" and I remember I thought I'd find some hobby or a new home - something that would cost money. But so far I have not. And I do not care!

I could start eating more expensive food or buy more expensive clothes. But naah. I can't be bothered. Not given up the idea of a new home though - but for now I really don't want the hassle. :imagine_a_smiley_rolling_her_eyes_here:
Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I would be thinner and my house would be cleaner. Neither has happened.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #80

Looking backwards, the absolute best thing that I did was related to my/our health. It trumps, and enables, our other activities and decisions. Got rid of all that stress...quarterly sales targets, revenue/profit growth, expense reduction,headcount/HR issues. Friends said I looked so much better after six months.

Next was healthy eating and a 45lb weight loss....still five or so to go to my prescribed healthy weight.

We have longevity in our family. I have a DB pension. I want to get the most that I possibly can from Megacorp and be able to enjoy it for a long as possible. Plus there are still many things that we want to see and do.