Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I discovered that my blood pressure had been going up on Sunday evenings.
For my entire life, Monday morning meant going back to work, and I was (unknowingly) priming myself for that on Sunday evenings by thinking about what I should jump into Monday morning. Sundays became much more relaxing.

Quote:
Whatever doesn't get done today can get done tomorrow or the next day or the day after that.
Yep. I remember a month in I was removing a very large shrub and the job was going slower than expected. I was trying to hurry up to get done in daylight -- that would be my normal response when I used to do these things on weekends.

Then, I realized that if I didn't finish today, I had nothing scheduled the next day. And, heck, if I didn't finish the next day, there was a whole day after that....
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
That we had been working longer hours than medieval serfs:
Preindustrial workers worked fewer hours than today's
Yeah, but they were usually dead by age 40.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #23

Two years in:

1. at the risk of being drummed out of the early retirement community for apostasy, I can't stand doing nothing. I am happier when I have at least something positive to do each day that goes beyond reading books and watching TV/movies. Having several things planned for the first couple of years was definitely the right approach for me

2. having DW on board and comfortable with my plans was essential

3. I still like a little structure to my days (with the emphasis on "little") - I don't like getting out of bed wondering what I will do all day

4. I don't miss the positive challenges of work as much as I worried that I would

5. quitting the rat race opens up even more possibilities than I expected

6. keeping up the desired level of social engagement is easier than I thought it would be (I'm a hard-core introvert) and I am even happier not being forced to do frequent firm events and client entertainment than I thought I would be
Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #24

Retirement good. (emphasis on the period)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Work is truly an offensive four letter word.
That's why you insert an asterisk in that cussword! (Wo*k)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #26

Been retired just a tad over ten years and a had a grandson in year one of retirement and found my newest best friend. Being young enough to enjoy grandchildren has been the high point of being retired. Next, doing any damn thing I want.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Coming up on 9 years. I was surprised at how much I've come to resent a schedule, once retired. Even a part time volunteer commitment fits like a hair shirt.
I really, really hate having to be anywhere at a certain time. The only thin that I hate more is driving at rush hour. I had plans for part-time work or volunteering before I retired. Forget that, too.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
What's Your Top Retirement Insight
Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

What's Your Top Retirement Insight

My top insight? Looking back at a job/career I was relatively successful at and thought I enjoyed while doing it, well...I look back and wonder how the hell I put up with the regimented BS for so long. It seems so alien now.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I really, really hate having to be anywhere at a certain time. The only thin that I hate more is driving at rush hour. I had plans for part-time work or volunteering before I retired. Forget that, too.
+1. We had too many interests at first so we dropped things with set, have to be there kind of schedules. We belong to clubs with activities but most are drop in kind of activities.

I interviewed for one volunteer job and they wanted me to work weekends. Even though Saturday and Sunday may not mean as much as they used to, weekends are still when a lot of local events get scheduled, and also when we can drive or take the train into the city and not have to worry about driving in rush hour traffic or standing room only on the train.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
My top insight? Looking back at a job/career I was relatively successful at and thought I enjoyed while doing it, well...I look back and wonder how the hell I put up with the regimented BS for so long. It seems so alien now.
That hit me too. I think back on what I did all those years and simply can't believe I did all that.

One thing you might call an insight was that everything I had always been told was important, and that everyone believes is important was bs. Made up by miserable people who just wanted everybody else to be as miserable as they were. But I was already drifting to that conclusion by 5th grade
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

When I left Megacorp, they didn't erect a life-size bronze statue of me and put it in front of the corporate office.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I found that locking myself into certain expectations,( ie: things I would definitely do in retirement) was just wrong thinking. I have changed the things I do and dont do, quite a bit in retirement. And all for the good.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We tried not to take of anything new (community or volunteer commitments) the first year. The idea was to allow time for us to figure the whole ER out. We are just over a year. DH held to it well. He has just started exploring an opportunity with a small time commitment along with an educational and social component. Personally, I think it will be good for him. We was mostly busy with work or sports/working out before RE. This new activity will open up a new side of him.
Me on the other hand, I seem to get pulled into all sorts of things (this is not a new problem). "No" does not easily roll off my tongue. I am getting a bit more selective with my time with every month that goes by. I have a timely commitment that will end next summer. I am already looking forward to have the time back to do as I please.
Bottom line, it is okay to be selfish with my time. How I see it is that I worked hard for many years and I deserve it spend my time how I please.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired since 1.31.15:
1. How much I enjoy Sunday nights, not having to gear up for work the next day
2. How much I don't miss work (although I enjoyed it most of the time)
3. How much naps are essential for my well being
4. Having time to improve family and friend relationships.
5. Deliberately keeping an open schedule to allow retirement to unfold, allowing new interests to grow in a way I didn't have time prior to retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

As I write this... I am driving my wife's new car / Xmas present back to our home in Alaska to save a total of about $700 dollars vs buying from the dealer in Anchorage. The trip enable me to visit my son and daughter in law and our beautiful 8 month old grand daughter for a few days.

Freedom brother.... FREEDOM
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #36

I learned that while I am proud of what I did and achieved in my career I am able to say that that time of my life is over and it's time to move on to something else. I have no regrets about my w*rk life and no regrets about leaving.

I like to have a lightly structured existence. I have activities scheduled throughout the week but not to much and anything can be skipped if something better comes along. I am thankful every day for not being subject to the stress of my past career.

I also learned that I like naps. Never did before. Once I ER'd though naps . . . well . . . they are just great.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:58 AM   #37
gone traveling

I FIRED, did a global move of me and my family to a new country/city, started a masters degree, and got into a 20 hours per week volunteer role mentoring younger MBA students. All within first 6 months.

Am working with a couple students now to develop and teach a personal finance and financial well being course for mba students - amazing how many MBAs won't reach anything close to FIRE and how clueless they are about all things money.

Am looking forward to doing my part to start educating America.

I'm as busy as I was while at Megacorp - now my activities are unpaid but I feel like k have purpose.

Some stress too -- Taking my first final exam in 25 years later today.

I learned that everyone in the corporate world is doing the elephant dance. I learned that it's never too late to keep learning. I learned that some people really really struggle with change and when you love them, it's painful to see that struggle and it's really really hard to help. I learned that I can't say no and I want to do more things than there are hours in a day. Prioritizing will be important.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 AM   #38

Here are mine:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ses-76016.html
-
-
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
My problem is a sleep schedule I can't seem to find a good one. I might nap from 4-8PM then be awake until dawn then sleep until after noon. So a day like tomorrow when someone is coming to my house at 8AM will mean trying to sleep at night and get up in the morning. I hate having appointments and remembering what day of the week it is.
I can second this observation. 4-5 hrs. sleep is my max at one time, and I'm up very late. Best sleep is sometimes 7-9 a.m. But it's great being able to set one's schedule.

I've been retired 7 years. and my honey do list gets longer and longer with too many toys to keep up (boats, cars, ATV's) and 2 houses.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #40

Never under estimate the value of doing nothing.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote