What's your weighted expense ratio?

I had to calculate it-- the ER portfolio is at 0.19%. All our cash is in credit-union money markets and CDs now, no mutual-fund money markets.

The college fund is effectively at zero-- mostly CDs and, for just a few more months, a couple EE bonds.

The cost of getting a mutual fund company to custody my daughter's Roth IRA in index funds when she was a minor was nearly 0.80%. When she turned 18 and transferred over to Fidelity last fall that dropped to less than 0.20%. Most fund companies don't want minors' IRAs because of their low balances, and they apparently don't believe in "start 'em young".

I do not know. It takes too much work to figure out, as I have MFs, some with high ERs that I have had for a long time and been reluctant to sell as it would incur taxes, some ETFs with ERs ranging from 0.2% to 0.5%, and many individual stocks. The stock portion is of course of lowest ER.

Looks like a man with nearly all individual stocks.

The best case for me is when I want to build a position in an individual stock and buy a lot of, say, $10000 in a brokerage account with $4 transaction fee. A round trip then costs me $8. Ideally, I would hold it forever, but if my average holding period is 2 years, then it works out to 0.04%.

Back
Top Bottom