Join Early Retirement Today

wheeeeeee
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

wheeeeeee

Can I get a small.......wheeee.....from W2R......S and P 500 up 100 points since Friday.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Beat you to the punch!

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1698077

I didn't quite utter the "W" word, but I love it when the market acts like this!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're not even above 2000 let along getting back above 2100.

Can't believe you folks are already partying!

I suspect someone is short the market and trying to invoke a W2R special downdraft!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Beat you to the punch!

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1698077

I didn't quite utter the "W" word, but I love it when the market acts like this!
Thanks, Lady Luck
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I know it's evanescent and just on paper, but since last Thursday I have already made so much in my investment accounts.

How much? Almost 1/2 my annual take-home pay during my last year of work! You can't beat that with a stick, as the saying goes.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
gone traveling

Wheeeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Frankie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know it's evanescent and just on paper, but since last Thursday I have already made so much in my investment accounts.

How much? Almost 1/2 my annual take-home pay during my last year of work! You can't beat that with a stick, as the saying goes.

I guess you haven't looked at how much you "lost" since last July?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I guess you haven't looked at how much you "lost" since last July?
Ha ha!! I'd rather not. Although, in July I had paid for my dream home in cash (closed on June 26th), but hadn't yet deposited the cash from selling my old home (closed on August 20th). So, compared with July, my portfolio probably looks better than most.

Now, comparing with April 24th (my personal all time high portfolio), I lost over 4x my annual take-home pay. I'll just not think about that right now....

Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

I do believe there's a lesson here though. For those who panicked last week and dropped out they missed some of (what may be a temporary) the recovery. The other lesson is that while it does seem possible to foresee doom and the need to cut back (equities) it's really hard to tell when to "get back in." Didn't see a lot of folks screaming late last week it was time to return to the trough. Yeah, yeah I know, it can turn right around and continue its oil/China fueled decline, but that's just the point.

IOW, it's nice to see the minor recovery but I'll just stay right where I was. And go, "Hmmm. Whee!" And know it can all do a U-Turn!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
gone traveling

Its very dangerous to be uttering that word, especially when on thin ice. I bet tomorrow or the next day, we will probably hear Whoaaaaa!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Where is that guy on this forum last week who was predicting a major crash "as soon as next (this) week"?

Maybe. But likely not this week.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
Administrator

Use of that word with a "w", an "h" and several "e"s should constitute grounds for an immediate ban from the board.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Wait, the market was down? And now it's up?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Use of that word with a "w", an "h" and several "e"s should constitute grounds for an immediate ban from the board.
......no! I had one more TLH to do but had other duties so didn't get it done.
What is the track record of the "w" word ..........my stereotypical view was that it was considered a curse on a rising market but I don't have data.......some would welcome it but maybe it's no better than a flip of a coin. Will the responsible party please defend her record (w/ data).
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1926 View Post
Wheeeeeee

I never liked roller coasters (found out I have Meniere's, a type of vertigo), so I never shout Wheee with ups and downs. With our 15 year old incontinent dog, DW shouts "wee" when she steps in a wet spot in the playroom!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
With one exception, please!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
......no! I had one more TLH to do but had other duties so didn't get it done.
What is the track record of the "w" word ..........my stereotypical view was that it was considered a curse on a rising market but I don't have data.......some would welcome it but maybe it's no better than a flip of a coin. Will the responsible party please defend her record (w/ data).
My track record has been terrible! Except for the first time I screamed it, back in the fall of 2007... http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...hee-30317.html

Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
The other lesson is that while it does seem possible to foresee doom and the need to cut back (equities) it's really hard to tell when to "get back in."
Many people say this, but I believe it comes from a-perfectionist definition of the problem. If on the other hand someone defines the task as only investing at a PE10 level that has in the past data been associated with attractive long term returns, there is no problem. Yet that rule would have likely kept the investor out of many recent markets, so if he is bench-marking he is not going to like it..

Ha
Old 02-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My track record has been terrible! Except for the first time I screamed it, back in the fall of 2007... http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...hee-30317.html
Wow - your timing on that was spectacular! You hit the S&P500 peak on the day! Then the biggest selloff and bear market I've seen in my (adult) lifetime.

Was that your very first Wheeeee?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - your timing on that was spectacular! You hit the S&P500 peak on the day! Then the biggest selloff and bear market I've seen in my (adult) lifetime.

Was that your very first Wheeeee?
Yes.