Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When did retirement finances become so disconnected with real finances?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,836
When did retirement finances become so disconnected with real finances?

Some ludicous number is this article. Surely retirement is just a dream for 99% of us

how-to-make-your-money-last-in-retirement.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
__________________

__________________
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Some ludicous number is this article. Surely retirement is just a dream for 99% of us
The two key aspect are below:
1. Advisor - scare you to pay them
2. $100K/yr for one person now for retirement

Usual 'fear' article to get you to read the advise.
Not worth your time.



"William Wixon, owner of Wixon Advisors, advises many Minnesota clients to plan for a retirement of 30 to 35 years. How can they make their money last that long, or longer? Let's say you're 65 years old, want to retire now, and expect to need $100,000 annual income in retirement. You'll need to adjust that $100,000 to rise with inflation because, as Wixon says, "What's a loaf of bread going to cost in 30 years?Maybe nine bucks." Here are some options for you, with pros and cons."
__________________

__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The two key aspect are below:
1. Advisor - scare you to pay them
2. $100K/yr for one person now for retirement

Usual 'fear' article to get you to read the advise.
Not worth your time.



"William Wixon, owner of Wixon Advisors, advises many Minnesota clients to plan for a retirement of 30 to 35 years. How can they make their money last that long, or longer? Let's say you're 65 years old, want to retire now, and expect to need $100,000 annual income in retirement. You'll need to adjust that $100,000 to rise with inflation because, as Wixon says, "What's a loaf of bread going to cost in 30 years?Maybe nine bucks." Here are some options for you, with pros and cons."
Yeah, I know, but I enjoy reading them just to see the ridiculous statements and assumptions. For $100k my plan has $30k
__________________
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Yeah, I know, but I enjoy reading them just to see the ridiculous statements and assumptions. For $100k my plan has $30k
Maybe his clients need $100K in retirement.......YMMV.............
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
FD is right, I know of some that require nearly double that figure a year.
Not us types of folks, but they are out there and they have it saved. Go figure.
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help for newbies with finances, retirement issues and investing the Boglehead way DblDoc FIRE and Money 0 06-11-2009 01:41 PM
Finances and Dementia bbuzzard FIRE and Money 31 01-20-2007 08:05 PM
Tracking finances virginia Young Dreamers 31 07-07-2006 12:17 PM
Posting Your Finances TromboneAl Other topics 5 06-28-2005 06:16 PM
UK-Based study of early retirement finances TheFIREman Other topics 0 02-05-2004 04:10 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.