Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
If it goes down more, I'll keep rebalancing into the drop. Not much fun on the way down but lots of fun on the way up (thinking back to mid-March 2009 now!).
Can't say I don't like the upswing. But I also get a fair amount of perverse pleasure rushing in where fools fear to tread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone holding DODFX? I've been disappointed at how poorly this fund has performed relative to some other international funds. Active management not helping much, but I suppose its too big for them to easily make changes.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Anyone holding DODFX? I've been disappointed at how poorly this fund has performed relative to some other international funds. Active management not helping much, but I suppose its too big for them to easily make changes.
I used to, but concluded, like you , that they were too big. EFA was a better choice for a broad int'l fund, and also potentially more tax efficient. I also narrowed much of my developed int'l portfolio to Europe.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For the last 3 years, the orange square does not bounce as much as dribble.

Any day now... You would think that with low energy cost, developing countries would do well.
Keep in mind that many developing countries have economies based on natural resources... and those are all getting hammered right now. It's the high tech, service and to some extend manufacturing economies that benefit from cheap oil.

Brazil, Russia, Venezuela, etc are rough shape. They want expensive oil .

China and India have their own problems.

That said I think this is the exactly why EM is a good buy right now.... if you have a 5-10 year time horizon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #25

Quote:

I sold it back in 2007.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's simply international investments in general. They will turn around eventually.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

When Global Stocks Go On Sale

Our portfolio has 28% Vanguard International Stock Index and 3.5% Vanguard International Bond Index exposure. Supposedly, the positive correlation between US and International developed market stocks is growing. However, I can't get over the mental humps regarding how poorly the once-stellar Japanese stock market has done for decades now, what China's slowdown might still do to developing markets dependent on commodity exports to China, and that the International Stock Index just hasn't fared that well historically against US stocks. On the other hand, I can't go 100% US stocks because I want to avoid home market bias, US debt is scary, this bull market is getting long in the tooth, and our political leadership seems incapable of agreeing on what day of the week it is. Therefore, I am studying VT, the Vanguard Total World Stock Index ETF. It was created in 2008 and I want it to have a 10 year track record before I really move into it. VT is currently 56% North America and 44% everything else. It adjusts that ratio as countries' relative market caps adjust, which appeals to my index fund, "buy the whole racetrack, not particular horses" proclivity. Yet, it would greatly increase our international exposure if we went whole-hog. What do others think of VT, and VT versus VTSAX (Total US Stock Index) investing tradeoffs?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

No particular view on VT but I would note that the 56% NA, 44% everything else would seem to be more than Vanguard's target retirement funds that hold 60% domestic/40% international equities, but not much different.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #29
gone traveling

One must realize that international vs domestic is hard to distinguish.

With the recent number of historically USA based companies going for a tax inversion and merging with international entities, it's very hard to say what is domestic and what is international these days. Add to that the global exposure that many multinationals have in terms of revenue, R&D and manufacturing that is global and the whole idea of non-correlated markets goes out the window.

I hold about 20 percent VXUS... But many argue that just holding the SP500 exposes one to more than 20 percent "international" exposure in one form or another. At the large cap level, Markets are very tied together and correlates. Mid and small cap is less so but not by a whole lot...

Some examples below. ... Excluding Pfizer which was a big inversion.

How's your Gaeilge coming along??

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1455499779.942089.jpg
Old 02-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #30

Target allocation is 20% VEU, 20 VSS, and a fee more VWO. So yeah, my contributions have mostly all been supporting those allocations as international has waned. Can't wait for the eventual ride back up, just hope it doesn't take more than a decade or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
One must realize that international vs domestic is hard to distinguish.

With the recent number of historically USA based companies going for a tax inversion and merging with international entities, it's very hard to say what is domestic and what is international these days. Add to that the global exposure that many multinationals have in terms of revenue, R&D and manufacturing that is global and the whole idea of non-correlated markets goes out the window.

I hold about 20 percent VXUS... But many argue that just holding the SP500 exposes one to more than 20 percent "international" exposure in one form or another. At the large cap level, Markets are very tied together and correlates. Mid and small cap is less so but not by a whole lot...

Some examples below. ... Excluding Pfizer which was a big inversion.

How's your Gaeilge coming along??

Attachment 23229
Yes, this is one reason I own almost no large cap based in the USA (the other reason is that value tilting is cheaper in the USA). My USA allocation is almost entirely in small cap value (VBR). For foreign stocks, over 40% is small (especially VSS). It's more of a barbell approach. Small stocks are more local in nature. And I prefer my large cap exposure abroad.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #32
gone traveling

Hi Kramer. What funds or ETF's do you use for large caps non USA? Thanks !
Old 02-15-2016, 03:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Hi Kramer. What funds or ETF's do you use for large caps non USA? Thanks !
For large caps non-USA I mostly use VEA and VWO. These indexes were recently changed to also include a few small caps (a good change, IMO), but the small cap part is probably only 10% of the total market exposure of these ETFs.

Then, i own a bit of EPHE (ishares for the Philippines market) and a bit of VPL (asia-pacific part of VEA above). I own these latter 2 to overweight the Philippines and its major trading partners a bit in my allocation (but not by much).
Old 02-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No particular view on VT but I would note that the 56% NA, 44% everything else would seem to be more than Vanguard's target retirement funds that hold 60% domestic/40% international equities, but not much different.

This is true, and I tend to trust Vanguard's planners' allocations as prudent. If one wanted a strongly-equities portfolio, one could buy 45% VT, 45% VTSAX, and 10% cash. That would result in approximately 25% international exposure. I'm not saying I will, but I do like equities for the long haul.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum