Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

When in dist. mode- reinvest div & int & sell shares or take div & int in cash?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

When in dist. mode- reinvest div & int & sell shares or take div & int in cash?

Are there any definitive studies one vs. the other for someone in distribution mode? I hear both recommended - I have been reinvesting but may switch to "clipping coupons" for the duration. I'd be interested in the valued opinions here.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Taxable account or an IRA?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Taxable account or an IRA?
Same thing I wonder.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I am not retired yet, but was planning to take what I need from dividends rather than reinvesting them.

Then, at the end of each year (or perhaps at the beginning of the next year), I planned to rebalance.

This would be with my taxable accounts (as my dividends are automatically reinvested with my TSP account). I would be interested in hearing about any problems with this plan.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I take the dividends and spend them in my taxable account, the beauty of dividends is they are far less volatile than the market. In my IRAs I do a little of both spend some reinvest others.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I also take the dividends in my taxable account and reinvest the dividends in my IRA .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My thought is that this is a cash flow issue and assets should be expended in the following order:

Estimated expense budget reduced by the following income until income equals expenses:
earned income
social security
pension etc
Income from cash equilievnet investments - holding for future years
expense budget
Income from taxable investments
selling of taxable investments
Income from tax sheltered investments
selling of tax sheltered investment

The income and selling of tax sheltered should be done according to tax requirements and to reduce taxes; if possible.

Did I miss anything?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In taxable account I take all distributions (Dividends and Capital Gains) into cash. (I'm already paying taxes on these distributions). In IRA I reinvest all distributions.

During the distribution phase for a taxable account I think it makes very little sense to reinvest distributions, pay taxes on these and then again on the capital gains for the shares you sell. Of course, this argument assumes there is a gain on the shares sold.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The bulk of my funds are in qualified accounts (IRAs) but some after tax monies. I will have to be using funds from the IRA in the not to distant future and I am curious if the answer is the same for funds in the qualified accounts.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #10

I tend to keep qualified dividend-earning investments in my taxable accounts as they bear a lower tax rate than interest and non-qual dividends. I load up my IRAs with big interest earners. Then as others above have said here, I reinvest the IRA distributions and flow the taxable distributions into my MM account.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
My thought is that this is a cash flow issue and assets should be expended in the following order:

Estimated expense budget reduced by the following income until income equals expenses:
earned income
social security
pension etc
Income from cash equilievnet investments - holding for future years
expense budget
Income from taxable investments
selling of taxable investments
Income from tax sheltered investments
selling of tax sheltered investment

The income and selling of tax sheltered should be done according to tax requirements and to reduce taxes; if possible.

Did I miss anything?
RMD's?

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We currently take more (a little) each year from IRA than it can produce in dividends and interest. I see no advantage to re-investing these and putting them at capital depreciation risk. I would rather make a conscious decision on where any re-balancing money is placed. We sweep dividends/interst to an IRA money market and since most of these come quarterly we withdraw from that money market to our taxable one at the end of each quarter. This keeps the MM in IRA relatively small.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
The bulk of my funds are in qualified accounts (IRAs) but some after tax monies. I will have to be using funds from the IRA in the not to distant future and I am curious if the answer is the same for funds in the qualified accounts.

When its my time to start withdrawing from IRA I'll be sure to have at least a couple of years worth of withdrawls in cash, I'll also begin to stop reinvesting divies to maintain a cash cushion in the IRA.

Jim
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote