Join Early Retirement Today

Re: When interest rates drop...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
Uncle Sam may need to see one of those debt consolidators....
He needs to see a shrink.

HELOC = Home equity line of credit
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

exactly!
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Money Magazine has an anwser to my question:

NEW YORK (Money Magazine) -- The Federal Reserve decided Tuesday not to raise interest rates for the first time in more than two years, noting that economic growth had "moderated."

So which sectors are likely to do well now? A recent study from Citigroup looked at the past five runs of Fed rate hikes and examined how stocks performed in the 12 months following each final rate increase.

More from Money Magazine
A smart way to play high oil prices

5 'smart' getaways

Beat the market with big stocks

Best Places to Live
Current Issue
Subscribe to Money

One-year gain after Fed stops raising rates
Financials: + 24.7%
Health Care: + 23.4%
Consumer Staples: + 17.6%
S&P 500: + 9.9%

What they found: Classic defensive plays like pharmaceuticals, financials, utilities and consumer staples (which includes companies such as Coca-Cola and Procter & Gamble) have historically gained twice as much as the S&P 500 once the Fed stops raising rates.

blanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:33 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
by the time they pause the gains will already be sucked out of the bond market and stocks will probley already have anticipated the pause and factored it in prior just like they did before may...in a short answer by the time the pause happens the big gains are already gone...you need to be in before in order to get the easy money

guess yesterdays action kind of confirms my theory
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanston

What they found: Classic defensive plays like pharmaceuticals, financials, utilities and consumer staples (which includes companies such as Coca-Cola and Procter & Gamble) have historically gained twice as much as the S&P 500 once the Fed stops raising rates.
I think financials are the most attractive for this play. But a word of caution: choose carefully. There has been a lot of loose lending in the last few years and a pause/falling rate environment means that consumers are having some difficulties. Pick financials that do conservative lending, not credit card issuers, subprime mortgage guys, etc.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, yesterday I thought Money Magazine answered my question. They compare S&P to financials for 12 month average return after fed stops raising rates. But today they give the negative spin. They now suggest history of S&P is negative after Fed Stops. I think I will stop using Money Magazine as a source of info!

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/09/mark...ause/index.htm

I still like financials.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #27

Quote:
I think I will stop using Money Magazine as a source of info!
Great advice to follow, especially if you like getting good investment returns and not falling prey to bad, wishy-washy, or misleading investment advice.

There's a problem with their conclusion that this particular sector sees a 24% return or the market overall sees a 10% return in the twelve months following a halt in the rate hikes. We don't really know if the fed has halted until those 12 months are up. Who knows if today is the first day of that 12 month period or if the fed will raise rates again in a few months or 6 or 8 or 10?

As a rule of thumb, the market's historical performance 12 months after a halt in rate hikes seems pretty useless. Inflation could spike or continue upwards in the coming months and require 1 or more additional rate hikes.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Justin,

I wish I had sa ved the link to another article. From Dumb Money- I think the columist was James Stewart. HIs research was interesting. He states there has never been a rate pause during a rate hiking cycle, only rate stops! He says the only time there have been rate pauses, have been during a downward cycle. Intersting if true.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Justin,

I wish I had sa ved the link to another article. From Dumb Money- I think the columist was James Stewart.* HIs research was interesting.* He states there has never been a rate pause during a rate hiking cycle, only rate stops! He says the only time there* have been rate pauses, have been during a downward cycle.* Intersting if true.
I would tend to agree with this. I predict the Fed will stand pat at least to the start of next year. The last couple of rate hikes have not fully worked itself through the system. The lag in the system is so large, it like trying to steer a supertanker. The fed needs to stand pat for a while and then see which way the boat is pointing.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Justin,

I wish I had sa ved the link to another article. From Dumb Money- I think the columist was James Stewart. HIs research was interesting. He states there has never been a rate pause during a rate hiking cycle, only rate stops! He says the only time there have been rate pauses, have been during a downward cycle. Intersting if true.
This is incorrect. July 1999 marked the start of our last rate hike cycle. Subsequent hikes occured in Sept 99, Dec 99, Mar 2000, Apr 2000, and June 2000. Most of those hikes had pauses in between them. The problem is figuring out (before it happens) when we are done raising rates, or whether we are just experiencing one of the many rate pauses. You can't know which until after the fact.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote