Join Early Retirement Today

When is a credit not a credit:
Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

When is a credit not a credit:

I know that a fair number of “forum fellows” subscribe to Verizon FIOS service. This message is for you or others who may be considering FIOS.

I have subscribed to FIOS for 4+ years, I renewed in December '18. Because this was in fact a renewal I paid the long price. $30-60 offers for FIOS are not part of the renewal package. I renewed for a 2 year stretch. ( I should of known something was up because the last 2 year stretch I did had people shooting at me trying to kill me in jungle)

In February my bill jumped up by $5.00. I contacted Verizon and their customer service rep could not explain the reason and issued a credit. In March the bill was higher by $4.00. I contacted Verizon again ( I iMessage rather then call because I have documentation of what was said by both parties) This time customer service said that a discount expired. I pointed out that all previous bills had a statement that the discounts offered had no expiration. And that the contract did not say that any discounts would expire and in fact stated just the opposite. I also pointed out that Verizon can't just change terms arbitrarily since I am charged a cancellation fee if I choose to quit FIOS. Again I received a credit for the $5.00.
My April bill comes and we’re back to $4.00 over charge. Again contact customer service (5/7/19). This time I receive assurances that this customer rep will issue a credit for April and says that he has arranged for the bill to be correct until my term is expired. He even gave me a reference number. I checked today and no credit nothing. I contact Verizon Customer Service and I’m told that their working on it and it takes 2-3 weeks for approval and will become effect with my bill in June. No mention of the credit for April. (no I didn't miss something that will be now 2 months pass due)

I”m sure some may ask why bother with $4.00. Well its not $4.00 but $96.00 over the term. No explanation, no reason given that makes sense. I’m not sure how many people subscribe to FIOS but if only 1/3 get slammed for $4-5 each its got to add up to a lot.
Bflotomny is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unfortunately, they all do this, not just Verizon.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
+1 ComCrooks went through this dog and pony dance with me at my last renewal. Bill jumped by like $10 or $15 because my "promotion expired". Okay, well then the argument became...give me a similar promotion. After about 5 supervisors from various departments made it completely clear to me they were in the business of extortion, I cancelled the service and signed up for "new" slower speed service. A temporary fix to a longterm problem. Now I just surf the web a little slower. Eventually that model will not be sustainable for these companies.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Now I just surf the web a little slower. Eventually that model will not be sustainable for these companies.
FWIW, I purchased a faster FIOS Internet connection a few years ago. I jumped from 25/10 (down/up) to 60/60. After a few months I realized that the added speed seemed to have no meaningful effect on my surfing or streaming. The only noticeable thing it did was improve my scores on the Broadband Speed test. So, I switched to a lower speed 30/30, which interestingly, was now cheaper than the 25/10 I had originally.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
ComCrooks...
Is that the same as ComCo$t?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Is that the same as ComCo$t?
Good point, the leadership/board are the ComCrooks! Nothing more than a modern gang of extortionists creating monopolies.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Back in 2017 CenturyLink ran a price-for-life promo, promising not to change the price of my Internet service unless I change what I want or move. I switch from Comcast, and so far they've kept their word. I'm just glad I live somewhere where I have more than one option.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ha! I’d gladly pay $4 or $5 bucks/mo if the picture quality was better. Our routers, set top units, and remotes are ancient and they won’t replace them. We renewed about the same time as OP. We re seriously considering eating the fee to cancel and get away from these crooks.