Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our biggest unexpected expenses have come from the pets. Cat recently died at age 14, the other cat is 14 and the dog is 12.

It's amazing how many huge chunks of money can disappear as the four legged family members get up there in age.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New dry well and septic repairs: $3700
Pavement over repairs (a line is under my driveway): $500

Not having to use a 5-gallon bucket with toilet seat duct taped to it: priceless

Oh, and I just lost my retainers, $500 probably. D'OH!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I have managed to combine vacations with Dental work in the last few years. Quality SOB dental work is about 1/3 of the cost here. I was a tad nervous the first time, but have to say that I have had nothing but good experiences.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #24

All that talk about dentistry is giving me the creeps Or are you all doing it on purpose knowing my pathological fear of dentists and my inminent and inevitable visit to them
If only money was the problem.....
Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #25

Quote:
If I had a single tooth that was to require $10K in dental work I would have it pulled unless it was a tooth that made up part of my smile.
Problem is the tooth above will drop into the gap if there's no implant. Dentist explained this ... then I saw it in a friend who let his gaps go. Once the tooth drops - nothing you can do.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I had budgeted $2-3k for some fascia board repairs and painting, now a new heating/air unit to be installed next week. Posted under another forum.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...postcount=2568

Oh well, where are my med's?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
Just a reminder of why it's important to LBYM and plan for unexpected expenses in retirement or semi-retirement. I was just starting to think it would be possible for me to come in under budget for 2009 living expenses. So much for that idea. Sunday morning I woke up to a dead 6 year old refrigerator, $500 later and lot of work it's replaced. Next day, I lose a filling in a molar and the dentist says it's time for a crown, est $1400. Not that I believe in such things but I am wondering today what is the number 3 item of bad luck going to be
We needed a very expensive new roof soon after retirement, much to my shock and chagrin. Luckily we'd been below budget for a few years ahead, so we didn't go way over when we counted what we'd saved in the previous few years, but it was very scary anyway. It made us revise our budget to add "amortization", extra money set aside for the huge unexpected expenses. It hurt when we cut down what we could spend each month, but not nearly as much as the fear that we'd retired too early to handle the unexpected.
So maybe your "three" was my roof and you're ok now!
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #28

Not sure if this would help anyone but it is something I have considered doing. There is a Dental School in a City near me. I have thought of having my dental work done during retirement at the school to save money. I am told the work is quality and the students are being watched closely and basically being graded on their work. I feel sure the dental students are very close to graduating at the point of working on patients. Anyway you guys could look into this in your area and find out if it is a money saver for all of us. I still have dental insurance at this time so who volunteers to be the guinea pig ?
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I have managed to combine vacations with Dental work in the last few years. Quality SOB dental work is about 1/3 of the cost here.
Where is that?

Ha
Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Not sure if this would help anyone but it is something I have considered doing. There is a Dental School in a City near me. I have thought of having my dental work done during retirement at the school to save money. I am told the work is quality and the students are being watched closely and basically being graded on their work. I feel sure the dental students are very close to graduating at the point of working on patients. Anyway you guys could look into this in your area and find out if it is a money saver for all of us. I still have dental insurance at this time so who volunteers to be the guinea pig ?
Steve
This is a good idea--depending on how it works, they may be looking for patients. I have a friend who teaches in a health service field and the students have to "bring their own patients" so I imagine they would love having easily available.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

haha I have heard of a lot of people who have gone to Los Algodones with good results but I have no experience there so can't personally comment. I have had work done in Guadalajara by an American trained dentist. While the work was less than half what I got quotes for here, Guadalajara is going to be more expensive than many areas of Mexico but it is a beautiful cosmopolitan city and only a short hop over to Puerto Vallarrta's wonderful beaches.

I have had my teeth cleaned several times since here in the states and when I told them that I had the major work done SOB they could find nothing at all wrong with the work.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #32

Expenses happen like that. One day last year the dishwasher died, the next day high winds tore off major portions of the back porch roof.

Reminds me of the in the '70's when I replaced the alternator on my car, started it up and immediately noticed the small hole in the muffler....