When to delay pension or SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Delay Pension and/or Social Security

I think that almost nobody will do anything different with their spending as a result of all this multiplying, annuitizing and dividing. Then at 62, 65 and/or 70 they'll do exactly what they were going to do before a single post was put up in this or any other SS thread.

Actually not! - I was in the take SS early camp until Master Blaster pointed out a sure fire way to spend extra money in your 60's. I had always thought that taking it early would let you spend more in your 60's, but no.

I do have an open mind and will change it when presented with facts, instead of sarcasm.

Cut throat if you live to be 85 I fear you will regret your decision to consume 351,000 of your portfolio in 8 years.

And fuzzy bunny:

My grandmother lived to 98 at age 85 moved in with my aunt in a bedroom.

My wife's Grandmother lived to 99 After age 80 all she had was social security and would not take any help.

My dad is alive at 85 Having spend his entire retirement portfolio in first 15 years of retirement. He now lives in a 1 bedroom apartment and lives on SS alone.

My mother in law is alive at 80. My father in law is alive at 84 They spent 4% of their initial portfolio for 20 years and now spend 6% of a portfolio three times the initial value in a Hyatt retirement community safe in the knowledge they will not run out before age 100. He never made more than $60,000 a year in his life and now his annual expenses run 100K. A beautiful 1800 sq foot apartment overlooking the mountains in Scottsdale. A conservative approach sometimes allows for an upgrade in life when you may not want to do things like cooking and cleaning yourself anymore.

Running_Man said:
Cut throat if you live to be 85 I fear you will regret your decision to consume 351,000 of your portfolio in 8 years.

Really, what are you going to do with your $351K after you're dead!

I can tell you still don't understand this! - Read what the man said!

jdw_fire said:
I disagree (unless you are going to say that SS is not secure), at age 70 I have the same income as you and more of it is coming from SS so there is less market risk to me.

I can see it's more important for you to win than to learn something. If you fail to win, you'll change the argument just so you can win.

Folks,

There seems to be only one answer to the question at hand...

Its what YOU believe, for your "life situation".

Since it is your life, your belief, and your decision, further discussion is not really required. I belive we have enough "options" to choose from, with the various entries.

As for what I will do - it dosen't matter, so I won't state it. However, I belive my "decision" is best for me, my family, and my situation.

- Ron 8)

Ron'Da: Is that a motion to close this and move it to "best of". If it is I, for one, second that. It was a great discussion sometime back a few pages but recently it is getting a little tough see through the "fight".

I second the motion! - I'll close and move.

img_471726_0_7ccd24260bdba4177e6622029ec08f81.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom