Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That last dive was caused by panic at seeing the Logan airport plane approached by hazmat suits in the last hour of trading. Be interesting to see how quickly (if) discounted tomorrow.

S&P500 down about 7.2% from highs, so still a bit to go for that 10% correction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I'm keeping some powder ready just in case PenFed has another end of the year CD deal.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went long SPY on Friday's close (a bit early,I know) and am hoping for some good earnings news this week. I am hopeful we can push it to 1960 before the next big downdraft!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

10% in cash. Started buying yesterday and will DCA over the next 3 months. I am either buying on the way down or buying on the way up!!
DCA over the next three months, will invest half of my cash on the side.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I'm keeping some powder ready just in case PenFed has another end of the year CD deal.
My parents and I both have Pen Fed CDs maturing in January. I am really hoping they have a special or get in a bidding war with Navy.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I bought some international equities last week, but the market will have to get much cheaper before I start parting with big wads of cash. I hope Penfed has a CD special this year, but they would have to pay around 4% for 5-7 years to get my money (my CD ladder currently pays 4% and I'd like to keep the yield up around that level).
Old 10-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
I reserved some "dry powder", about 10%, a month ago and my rough target to plug it back in was a 10% reduction in the S&P which was right around 2000. I really don't think this one will get there.

Does anybody have a trigger point for this "correction" where they would spend their dry powder?
I would not call this a correction yet. I'm thinking something more like 20% from the top.

Getting my equity shopping list ready like every " Dirty Bottom Fisher" should.
The usual suspects, Big Oil, Big Pharmaceuticals, maybe some basic materials , and maybe some big tech.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by norske69 View Post
10% in cash. Started buying yesterday and will DCA over the next 3 months. I am either buying on the way down or buying on the way up!!
DCA over the next three months, will invest half of my cash on the side.

A 10% investment at 7% (S&P 500) down gives you a 0.7% gain for this transaction whenever the market hits the old peak. Assuming the 10% cash was withdrawn at the peak. If it's cash that's been sitting around since an April or May stock sale however you're not gaining anything, just getting a second chance. A bit of work for a small gain and with the risk of a rising market opportunity loss as the cash sits. Your 10% may be from somewhere else, of course, so this may not apply to you.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Picked up VGENX at the same price it was 5 yrs ago. Has a decent div. with solid Co.'s / Time will tell..........
Old 10-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I reserved some "dry powder", about 10%, a month ago and my rough target to plug it back in was a 10% reduction in the S&P which was right around 2000. I really don't think this one will get there.

Does anybody have a trigger point for this "correction" where they would spend their dry powder?
Actually, my original plan for this dry powder was to wait for a full-blown panic. I think I'll stick to that. I have always been 100% equities, now I'm 90% equities and 10% cash to take advantage of the next bubble-burst or ebola scare or whatever. Instead of having a percentage trigger, I'll just "know it when I see it".
Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan to start a position in VWINX, but that thing is a rock. LOL LOL
Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

So with all the posts about shifting assets and 'bargain buying'...what happened to the FIRE mantra of stay the course
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
So with all the posts about shifting assets and 'bargain buying'...what happened to the FIRE mantra of stay the course
People have different strategies. It's not yours or my business to tell others how to invest. This is a thread to discuss one strategy, no reason for people not using that strategy to piss in the thread. My only contribution was to correct a glaring math error. If you're going to base a decision on numbers, the numbers ought to be right. I read the thread because I'm interested in what factors people use to determine how to get in and out, in case I reconsider my own strategy.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone is in a different spot. I was offered a package and took it a little over a year ago. Took a break, figured out a plan. And am now in a position to get going on it.
Its going to be a slow process, but its time I get started.

I think this has more to do with QE and interest rates than anything. But the media can spin it however they choose.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The FIRECalc reports include rebalancing. Different people may choose different approaches to rebalancing - a strict annual update, or maybe bands around their target AA, and some may be looking at reducing their AA over time, or at specific milestones (collecting SS, pension, etc).

I don't think those variations mean they are not 'staying the course'. Maybe this is just a good time to rebalance for some?

FWIW, some studies have indicated rebalancing doesn't really do much over the long haul. Selling off some equities during a long bull (lowering returns) tends to offset the buying back during dips.

Plus - " all the posts about shifting assets and 'bargain buying' " are a relatively small number, aren't they?

-ERD50
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like my old grand pappy used to say, " I reserve the right to be smarter today than I was yesterday."

My AA stays the same and I re-balance to keep it that way. However, I reserve the right to try and protect my assets and increase my earnings by fine tuning things a bit. For example, I may choose to lower my costs by moving money into index ETF's with very low annual fees. In reality, I believe that is very consistent with what many people practice here.

I think there are some people here who do have some 'play money' that they use for market timing, stock selection, etc. Some of them may actually have the knack to do it right. Congratulations to them!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, my original plan for this dry powder was to wait for a full-blown panic. I think I'll stick to that. I have always been 100% equities, now I'm 90% equities and 10% cash to take advantage of the next bubble-burst or ebola scare or whatever. Instead of having a percentage trigger, I'll just "know it when I see it".
Pretty good panicking going on right now!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

When to fire? Blood flowing in the streets? Is it ankle deep yet?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When to fire? Blood flowing in the streets? Is it ankle deep yet?
Hold! There could be some serious jing to be made off ebola. I'd say three more people in Dallas would be enough to cause an evacuation.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same thing that always happens. Se fue.