Join Early Retirement Today

When to get rid of FA?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

When to get rid of FA?

I am going to ask this question to everyone, although I probably know the answer I just want some reassurance. First about myself.

I am a few years shy of 40 years old and work for the government. I max out my TSP every year and am in a law enforcement covered position so I can retire at age 50 if I want. I hope to retire at about age 52. I have a few other investments on the side and also have an inherited IRA because my parents died way too soon, thus the desire for me to retire early and enjoy life. The inherited IRA has a decent amount of money in it and I use the RMDs for a good vacation each year because every year in life is a year closer to death! I figure I max out the TSP and have the government pension.

Now on to the inherited IRA. My parents had a financial adviser and he's a nice guy. I thought I knew about money when I received the IRA but I really didn't. Now I've been read John Bogle's books and been hanging out here. Anyways, he sells me this "great" annuity that guarantees 7% if I leave it in there 7 years with a stepped up rider benefit. I'm thinking, "Wow this is great, 7% guaranteed. He knows what he's doing."

Now I'm thinking transfer it all to Vanguard and take care of it myself. Sure he's a great guy, calls me on my birthday, sends me chocolate, calls once a year, but then I think he really ripped me off putting that money into a variable annuity. There are two separate annuities and ones surrender value is the same as it's balance the other is about $10,000 below it's balance. Should I wait until it's surrender value is the same as it's balance? Also how do I go about letting him go. Just call Vanguard and have them handle the transfer and tell him thanks for the good times?

I'm considering waiting until the surrender value is the same as the balance. I also trasferred some old traditional IRAs to him from previous employer rollovers. I'll probably just put it all in Vanguard.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He sold you an annuity INSIDE an IRA? That's so wrong.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I would just let Vanguard do the transfer. You will get a call from him. I wonder if he has already spent the nice commission you made on the annuity?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://www.slcg.com/pdf/workingpaper...ng%20Paper.pdf is an article about equity-indexed annuities. I first learned of this link at the diehards forum.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
http://www.slcg.com/pdf/workingpaper...ng%20Paper.pdf is an article about equity-indexed annuities. I first learned of this link at the diehards forum.

What he's talking about is not an equity indexed annuity. It's a variable annuity with a guaranteed income benefit. For people at or near retirement who don't have enough in savings to live on a 4% withdrawl they can make a lot of sense.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #6

This is a classic case of annuity abuse. I recommend getting away from this thief ASAP. Your situation has no need of an annuity in any form and in an IRA is disgusting. Your FA has proven that their primary motivation is for maximizing their fees.

You didn't say what the surrender charges were. My FIL dumped all of his liquid money into a pair of pathetic variable annuities. One had a 3% surrender charge and the other had a 5% surrender. Fortunately, the 5% surrender charge was waived since he was in assisted living.

I cashed both of these out immediately. One was free as I said above. The other annuity was earning a "hefty" 3% after all the fees when Vanguard Gov't MM was earning over 4.5%. The time value of money said that it wouldn't take long to get the surrender charge back.

Unless you have very high surrender fees, I suspect you will also see the money back quickly with the better return outside the annuity. If the numbers don't look good, you can let the annuity run its term and consider that part of your "bond/cash" portfolio allocation.

You mentioned 7% return if you leave it in for 7 years. Make sure that the 7% is after the annuity fees.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #7

I would write him a letter and ask him to respond in writing as to why he felt the choices he made for you were reasonable and were in your best interest when an annuity inside an IRA seems to be mostly in his interest to pile on the fees.

2B reccomends you get away from this thief (which I agree with) but shouldn't a complaint also be filed to make him think twice next time and get some sort of blemish on his record?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #8

Just about the only thing worse than an annuity in an IRA is tax-exempt income securities such as muni bonds and tax-free money market funds.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #9

the vanguard sp500 index fund is like 11.5% return since 1967 at .18% expenses. if the FA can find you a better return with less expenses than keep him. otherwise, what is the point of paying him?

my mom got me one of these whole life things years ago and i paid into it since last year. before that she paid into it. i read they are a scam on fatwallet, but never really looked until a month ago. turns out the surrender value was right about equal to all the payments that were made into it since the early 1990's when it was opened. and it was invested in stocks which should have had a cagr of at least 6%
Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
the vanguard sp500 index fund is like 11.5% return since 1967
The Vanguard S&P 500 index fund was not opened until 1976.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Before I got one...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
He didn't buy an equity-indexed annuity............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gworker View Post
I am a few years shy of 40 years old and work for the government. I max out my TSP every year and am in a law enforcement covered position so I can retire at age 50 if I want. I hope to retire at about age 52. I have a few other investments on the side and also have an inherited IRA because my parents died way too soon, thus the desire for me to retire early and enjoy life. The inherited IRA has a decent amount of money in it and I use the RMDs for a good vacation each year because every year in life is a year closer to death! I figure I max out the TSP and have the government pension.
Good plan so far..........

Quote:
Now on to the inherited IRA. My parents had a financial adviser and he's a nice guy. I thought I knew about money when I received the IRA but I really didn't. Now I've been read John Bogle's books and been hanging out here. Anyways, he sells me this "great" annuity that guarantees 7% if I leave it in there 7 years with a stepped up rider benefit. I'm thinking, "Wow this is great, 7% guaranteed. He knows what he's doing."
How long ago did this happen? What is your surrender schedule? There's a lot of missing info for us to help you further.......

Quote:
Now I'm thinking transfer it all to Vanguard and take care of it myself. Sure he's a great guy, calls me on my birthday, sends me chocolate, calls once a year, but then I think he really ripped me off putting that money into a variable annuity. There are two separate annuities and ones surrender value is the same as it's balance the other is about $10,000 below it's balance. Should I wait until it's surrender value is the same as it's balance? Also how do I go about letting him go. Just call Vanguard and have them handle the transfer and tell him thanks for the good times?
There may be signifcant surrender charges to "get out". You mentioned the FA said a 7-year holding period, where are you at in the 7 years?

Quote:
I'm considering waiting until the surrender value is the same as the balance. I also trasferred some old traditional IRAs to him from previous employer rollovers. I'll probably just put it all in Vanguard.
That may not happen, it's a function of the market......... The first question for you to answer is: "Do I want to manage these monies myself"? The 2nd is: "How much will it cost me to get out of where I am".

Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I would write him a letter and ask him to respond in writing as to why he felt the choices he made for you were reasonable and were in your best interest when an annuity inside an IRA seems to be mostly in his interest to pile on the fees.
We don't know if that is the case without more info.

Quote:
2B reccomends you get away from this thief (which I agree with) but shouldn't a complaint also be filed to make him think twice next time and get some sort of blemish on his record?
If the FA has the proper documentation, a mediator is not going to let a complaint go very far.

With regards to having an annuity inside an IRA, there are specialized cases where it is not the horrific idea being bantered on here, and those reasons have nothing to do with the fact you don't get "double tax deferred growth"...........

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Here are the surrender charges. I have been in it since 2003, so 5 years so far.

5 years
5%
6 years
5%
7 years
4%

8 or more
0%

Those seem kind of steep.

Your question: Do I want to manage these monies myself?
Yes. It's not that hard. Look at the governments TSP program. As Bogle said himself in one of his books. It's probably one of the best programs out there. Only 5 index funds to choose from and low expense fees. It's not that hard.

Looking at the surrender charges it looks like I might wait. I tried to find what other fees I pay but by looking through the prospectus they don't make it easy to figure out. I guess they don't really want you to know all the fees you pay.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gworker View Post
Here are the surrender charges. I have been in it since 2003, so 5 years so far.

5 years 5%
6 years5%
7 years 4%
8 or more 0%

Those seem kind of steep.

It is very common on annuities. The advisor makes the most commissions when he/she can get the client to commit for 7 years. Almost never do they tell the clients about the 4 year or no-surrender options, and that's too bad.

Quote:
Your question: Do I want to manage these monies myself?
Quote:
Yes. It's not that hard. Look at the governments TSP program. As Bogle said himself in one of his books. It's probably one of the best programs out there. Only 5 index funds to choose from and low expense fees. It's not that hard.

I didn't know you could invest into TSP with outside dollars, maybe govt workers can. If so, that's a no-brainer.

Quote:
Looking at the surrender charges it looks like I might wait. I tried to find what other fees I pay but by looking through the prospectus they don't make it easy to figure out. I guess they don't really want you to know all the fees you pay.
Quote:
I would wait, unless the funds inside are so bad you need to get out regardless of cost. Most likely, waiting is a better option at this point.

The prospectus will have a section on expenses. There is probably M&E of 1.25-1.75% a year, and the fund ER on top of that, plus any riders you buy. You're looking at around 3% a year in total expenses on the contract.

I didn't mean to be crass when I asked if you wanted to manage things yourself. Many people do, and there's nothing wrong with that. I thought of one other thing: Usually VAs like yours have a free withdrawal clause where you can take X amount of money out of it without a surrender charge. In your case, you could call the annuity company directly and ask what that amount is, and you should be able to have that amount sent to a Vanguard IRA to get things started. It certainly is worth the phone call to see if that's the case.

best of luck.........

Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

You can't invest outside money in TSP except rollovers. I was just using that as an example of simple is safe and easy.

I looked up some of the fees and found a performance chart:

YTD 1 Year 3 Year 5 Year 10 Year
(3.7) (4.13) 8.54 14.13 4.18

Of course the fine print says performance may be lower because of other rider fees that may be added. The more I look at it the more I think I can't wait to get out of it. I'll probably have to wait until 2010. I saw the free withdrawal clause in the prospectus I'll read over that again.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
He sold you an annuity INSIDE an IRA? That's so wrong.
There was a time when this was true, however, this product has a 7% guaranteed income stream for life, which is something not available from a regular IRA.
Considering you don't know the conversation Gworker had with the broker other than "Wow this is great, 7% guaranteed. He knows what he's doing."; it's not really fair to deem the product ill fitting. Perhaps Gworker mentioned he wanted return, but didn't like risk? Perhaps Gworker stated he'd like income, or concerned about a death benefit?
Anyway, considering FINRA has determined annuities are not necessarily inappropriate any longer in IRA's, it seems a bit unfair to prejudge.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
There was a time when this was true, however, this product has a 7% guaranteed income stream for life, which is something not available from a regular IRA.
Considering you don't know the conversation Gworker had with the broker other than "Wow this is great, 7% guaranteed. He knows what he's doing."; it's not really fair to deem the product ill fitting. Perhaps Gworker mentioned he wanted return, but didn't like risk? Perhaps Gworker stated he'd like income, or concerned about a death benefit?
Anyway, considering FINRA has determined annuities are not necessarily inappropriate any longer in IRA's, it seems a bit unfair to prejudge.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #20

Something didn't get communicated correctly if GWorker is feeling ripped off after doing some research. Is the 7% guaranteed income really 4% after the 3% fees? If the 7% really is 7%, why is GWorker not a happy camper? 7% risk free seems like a heck of a deal.