when to replace the jalopy

When to replace the jalopy?

When DW says I can :angel: ...

BTW, speaking of Olds Cutless Ciera's. We bought one (new) in '89 and traded it in 2006 (17 years), with well over 100k on it. It was built like a tank.

While it still ran well and never had any problems (other than normal maintenance items), it didn't have some current safety items - such as airbags, anti-lock brakes, etc.

It was more of a "it's time" situation. We traded it on an '02 Olds Aurora that an old couple (much older than us :LOL: ) and only had 20K on the odometer - after four years. DW still uses it as her daily driver and only has a bit over 40k on it - not much for a 10 year old car.

At least it gets used more than my "baby" - an '02 Mustang GT vert that only has 19k on it after 10 years :angel: . It's my "sunday car" (the sun has to be out to drive it.) But that's a whole other story.

And speaking of 1/2 price Caddy's? I purchased an '05 SRX in early '08 since I wanted an AWD with a bit more space to use since I deliver Meals on Wheels a couple of times a week. Have to ensure the folks get fed, regardless of the weather. It just hit 50k this week. BTW, I purchased i on EBay Auto's (auction) for a lot less than similar used vehicles locally that were available, even though I had it delivered to my door via car hauler from the Caddy dealer in Detroit.

The only "problem" it has is that it only gets 12-14 MPG, since it uses the old Northstar V8. However, since we don't do car trips anymore (DW hates the interstate - we fly/drive whenever possible) and I only fill the tank every 4-6 weeks, it's really not a problem for me.

Luckily, the passion I had for cars at a much younger age has gone away, when I would trade/buy a new one every few years.

Last edited:
Dang, Rescueme, I'd have taken that Cutlass off your hands happily, as I usually buy them at the 100k mile mark! I love those tanks--we've had two!

When to replace the jalopy?

When DW says I can :angel: ...

BTW, speaking of Olds Cutless Ciera's. We bought one (new) in '89 and traded it in 2006 (17 years), with well over 100k on it. It was built like a tank.

While it still ran well and never had any problems (other than normal maintenance items), it didn't have some current safety items - such as airbags, anti-lock brakes, etc.

It was more of a "it's time" situation. We traded it on an '02 Olds Aurora that an old couple (much older than us :LOL: ) and only had 20K on the odometer - after four years. DW still uses it as her daily driver and only has a bit over 40k on it - not much for a 10 year old car.

At least it gets used more than my "baby" - an '02 Mustang GT vert that only has 19k on it after 10 years :angel: . It's my "sunday car" (the sun has to be out to drive it.) But that's a whole other story.

And speaking of 1/2 price Caddy's? I purchased an '05 SRX in early '08 since I wanted an AWD with a bit more space to use since I deliver Meals on Wheels a couple of times a week. Have to ensure the folks get fed, regardless of the weather. It just hit 50k this week. BTW, I purchased i on EBay Auto's (auction) for a lot less than similar used vehicles locally that were available, even though I had it delivered to my door via car hauler from the Caddy dealer in Detroit.

The only "problem" it has is that it only gets 12-14 MPG, since it uses the old Northstar V8. However, since we don't do car trips anymore (DW hates the interstate - we fly/drive whenever possible) and I only fill the tank every 4-6 weeks, it's really not a problem for me.

Luckily, the passion I had for cars at a much younger age has gone away, when I would trade/buy a new one every few years.

The V-6 models had some issues, but the old 2.5 4 cylinder "Iron Duke" engines were great.........:)

The V-6 models had some issues, but the old 2.5 4 cylinder "Iron Duke" engines were great.........:)
Unlike a lot of the '89 Cutless Ciera's which used the 2.8 V6, ours had the 3.3 (Buick) V6 which was a scaled down version of the venerable 3.8 used in a lot of GM vehicles (like my '82 Olds 88).

Can I hijack this thread? In June 2013 we will be returning to the US and have to buy two vehicles - this will also be the start of FIRE!!!.
I agree with Finance Dave. As a practical matter, well built and engineered cars that are economical (Hondas, Toyotas, some US cars of comparable quality, etc) don't depreciate very much in their first few years of ownership, so you don't get a great deal buying a car that's a few years old, but you also take the risk that it might not have been treated well. If you can afford it, get a new car that you like and that you'll hold onto for many years. Then, get a 10 YO used car that is for around town use (not a huge hassle if it breaks down) or if you both need to be out driving. Also, if you have need for a truck or a van for hauling stuff, this second car can serve that function while you keep the new(er) car nice. Freshly salted wet road? Drive the old car, etc.

We don't expect to put many miles on - after all, I won't be commuting any more!

Ha, that's what I thought!

It took DW 14 years to put 125k miles on her '89 Olds Cierra. Now that she's not working, it only took 10 years to put 140k miles on the '03 Buick Century. The Buick is having a much easier time of it since there isn't the stop and go traffic of the DC area to deal with and this one is garaged. Those two issues are why I'm more optimistic about it's longevity.

I have 1995 F-150 4.9 L V-6 stick purchased new for $12,000. It's got 112,000 miles (I live in Central Dallas - only buy gas once per month - 2 tanks) and I'm told with that classic engine (first used in 1966) that it can go to 250,000 miles or more.

I've gotten hit a couple of times and the insurance company tried to total it, but I talked them out of doing so. I actually love it now much more than in years past. I have travel stickers from all over the world on the back bumper - I am a fan of irony.

It is the most popular vehicle of "The Millionaire Next Door"!

Last edited:
I think it's great that so many people drive their cars for so many years and it probably is the way to go $wise; however, I can't handle the stress of that kind of ownership. Neither wife nor I could put up with repair costs (unknowns) much less the inconvenience. Our last three vehicles were leased and will probably do it again in another year. May cost more but it's nice to drive something and not have to worry about those repairs much less having a car possibly breakdown while one of us is on the road.

I would have considered purchasing this vehicle at the end of the lease if I liked it better. Would have had a lifetime warranty on the powertrain. But I'm not a big fan of this Honda CRV EXL. I'll be looking for something a little better.

Requirements:
Something with better mileage
Something with a better ride
Something with less road noise
Something with a better quality leather interior
Something with more room for me to get in and out.
Something I will check out more before we get it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom