Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: When to take SS
Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every FC I run says take SS at 62. I'm single and the additional WD to age 70 depletes my principal to the point where it's more vulnerable to failure. In addition, with my desired income, I'm taxed less when I take SS early. So when I add it all up for MY situation it makes sense to go early. Your results may vary.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Interesting perspective here:

http://www.nysscpa.org/printversions...06/606/p42.htm

Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #23

I can see the arguments either way for people retiring this year but since I have a few years to go, I can see that the government can fiddle with the calculations, especially since I will have 401(k) and pension income.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle
Great article! Thanks BE.

I cannot find an article that I found awhile back. It gave some decision rules.

Part of the decision depends on how you view SS. I look at it as an income stream that helps to create a floor (minimal base income). Do I want it? Heck yeah! Do I want to maximize the money I get back from the government after paying it in all those years? Heck yeah? But what I want more is to not be destitute at 80, 85, or 90 if I live that long (and/or DW).

There are several factors in the mix that are variables that make the decision difficult.

1) future legislation on SS (taxes or caps)... how will it be affected. It seems that the later in the Boomer retirement era, more stress will be on the system.
2) How large is your nest egg at the age of 62 - 66.x (this will affect the decision)
3) your and DW mortality.
4) earning on portfolio (cpj article) and volatility risk depending on assets.
There are probably more

On one hand, I want to take it as early as possible. But in my tax situation, I am not sure that delaying is not the best approach. Plus if everything (investments) went to h3ll in a hand basket (a means test would not affect us).

I am inclined to do as I stated in my earlier post on this topic. But I need to run some what if scenarios and projections. I want to spend more in the early years. That will put us in a higher tax bracket. That might mean that having more SS as part of the floor income component is a good thing.

The other issue about SS is that I am not sure many people will actually retire @ 62 unless they are disabled. I am not sure they will be able to afford to do so.

Plus, I expect to see large immigration law changes in the next few years. This will fix a number of problems. One big problem it will fix is the shortage in worker in the USA (when boomers retire). More legal immigrants put more people paying into the system. I am not against immigration at all... I think it is part of our way out of this problem. But I do not want another general amnesty. It encourages more of the illegal behavior. Plus, we need to figure out how to keep the criminal element out.

I wish there would be a change in the laws such that one can be a quasi-citizen (probationary period) for about 10 years before being able to become a citizen. With a law that demands deportation if a certain class felony is committed/conviction. And the road to citizenship revoked so jail time does not help meet the time requirement. Most criminals will get caught in that period of time.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
According to my calculation (numbers from SS and assumed rate of inflation at 3%), the break even point of taking SS at 66 (vs. 62) is age 76. The break even point for taking SS at age 70 (vs 66) is age 80.

I think I take mine at 62 while I still have a good chance of being healthy to enjoy it.

P.S. The average life expectancy is only 77.

That's OK. When you die your nest egg will be bigger if you took Social Security early and your heirs will be able to enjoy your nest egg while they are healthy
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

from the article.....

"Actuarially speaking, a person who lives exactly as predicted should receive substantially the same cumulative amount of benefits regardless of the choice. Regardless of the statistics, a retiree’s expectations of his own longevity will drive the decision."

From what I can tell on this....

If you are single, and do not have much of a cushion.... take it..

If you are single and have a good cushion... well... from this article take it..

If you are married... ahhh, the rub... does your spouse qualify for his or hear own SS... how many years between the two of you... if she is a few years younger and does not have a lot of earnings (low SS).. then it can be better to hold off until 70 KNOWING that you will more than likely die prior to break even, but also knowing that your wife will continue to get this higher rate during HER lifetime..

so, are you willing to give something up today for your wife when you pass on
Old 05-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
That's OK. When you die your nest egg will be bigger if you took Social Security early and your heirs will be able to enjoy your nest egg while they are healthy
when i ran the numbers as long as either my wife or i made it to 81 taking it later gave us the biggest pile at the end.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
when i ran the numbers as long as either my wife or i made it to 81 taking it later gave us the biggest pile at the end.
Having the biggest pile does not interest me. Delaying to age 70 will allow me to spend more in my 60's than taking the SS at age 62.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Having the biggest pile does not interest me. Delaying to age 70 will allow me to spend more in my 60's than taking the SS at age 62.
My sentiment (hope) exactly. Although... I am still analyzing. Your personal tax situation may make a difference also. Taking SS earlier may just push you into a higher tax bracket... or at least... that is what I am trying to figure out.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #30

Retirement at 62: Is Receiving Social Security Early Worth It?

"It is more likely, however, that many individuals will optimistically estimate their own life expectancy as somewhat greater than the statistical averages."

I think there is a lot of this going on in the SS calculation made by many of us.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude
Retirement at 62: Is Receiving Social Security Early Worth It?

"It is more likely, however, that many individuals will optimistically estimate their own life expectancy as somewhat greater than the statistical averages."

I think there is a lot of this going on in the SS calculation made by many of us.
Me too. The best one can attempt to judge Mortality (for self) is using parents/siblings as models plus ones current state of health. From there a range should be used for realistic best and worst case plus a mid. When I say worst case (I mean the longest life expectancy not that we want to die ).

When working with fuzzy concepts using a simple range and basic judgment is very helpful. Complex probabilities models might help some but are not likely to be much more accurate.

And all of that means nothing if you get killed in an accident.

In the end there is a bit of a leap of faith.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
The best one can attempt to judge Mortality (for self) is using parents/siblings as models plus ones current state of health. From there a range should be used for realistic best and worst case plus a mid.
Easier said than done.

Example:

Parents - lived to age 90 & 92

Siblings - One was recently diagnosed with lung cancer at 75 and maybe has another year
- The second died at age 71 in an auto accident (suspected cause: stroke)
- The third was recently diagnosed with kidney disease at age 70 and faces a very uncertain future

As the youngest sibling (age 60) in relatively good health, just how the heck do I use that information to judge life expectancy?

Guess I'll stick with the only reliable method I'm aware of: "so far, so good".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Easier said than done.

True enough. But thinking through a few what if scenarios never hurts. If often yield insight that may help you adjust the final decision.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

im with you, im in favor of taking it later and enjoying more each month while i can, the heck with the bigger pile... the above was only an fyi that no matter how i ran the numbers for taking it early if at least 1 of us made it to 81 then the bigger pile went along with taking it later too if you dont increase the monthly withdrawl..
Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Can you clarify this? Delaying to age 70 means that you you have less to spend before age 70.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Can you clarify this? Delaying to age 70 means that you you have less to spend before age 70.

I think he means spend more portfolio earlier and rely on the extra SS later (Larger COLA Annuity)... provides till you die.

There are multiple variables to consider... part of it is how much money you have (nest egg), your specific tax liability, and expected life span.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #37

So by going that route someone would be putting their faith in the gov that they would not reduce SS by then or come up with some other way to screw you. I guess its all about what you believe will happen
Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

you will be spending more of your portfolio early on when your younger and healthier because your payments later on will be 30% higher and will re-fill the extra bucks you depleted from 62 to 70 .

kind of an out of the box way of looking at taking ss later. most think only in terms of breaking even or dying early , but another way is to think about it as an annuity that will kick in at 70 bolstering your income by 30% plus colas . if you just pay for it with some of your nest egg at 62.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

There are many facets to this, but I focus on three. If you are working, you should delay it until normal retirement. If you are not working, there are two relevant discount rates. Early retirement uses a 4% real discount rate and late retirement a 2% real discount rate. If you can do better than 4% real, you should take it early. If you can't but can do better than 2% real, take a normal retirement. If you can't manage that, you are in worse shape than you image. Finally, there is life expectancy which at 65 is 85 and increases by one month each year. If you don't expect to live until then, you should definitely take it earlier. If you expect to live to then, you should be indifferent to the choice. If you expect to live much longer, you may want to delay it, but I am skeptical most people over 85 will be in a position to enjoy it. When you hear about breakevens in the 70s or early 80s, they are making the assumption they continue to work until they start to collect it, or they are not properly discounting the cash flows.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
From what I can tell on this....

If you are single, and do not have much of a cushion.... take it..

If you are single and have a good cushion... well... from this article take it..

If you are married... ahhh, the rub... does your spouse qualify for his or hear own SS... how many years between the two of you... if she is a few years younger and does not have a lot of earnings (low SS).. then it can be better to hold off until 70 KNOWING that you will more than likely die prior to break even, but also knowing that your wife will continue to get this higher rate during HER lifetime..

so, are you willing to give something up today for your wife when you pass on
Texas Proud.......

Right on! The issue of a spouse collecting your higher benefit if you delay is key since providing an ongoing income for a surviving spouse is an important part of retirement planning......

If I was in the situation where my spouse's SS income, and projected SS benefits, were low and she would therefore collect my higher SS benefits gained though delaying, I would delay. That's not the case for us. She can't collect my SS. So, I'm still trying to determine what to do.

Also, I'll point out that it isn't just a single/married issue. Some people will not qualify for their spouses SS due to govt pension offset provisions and therefore to the SS earning spouse, all the calculations are as if he/she were single.

Tags
social security