Join Early Retirement Today

When to take SS
Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

When to take SS

Guys, need some input. I will retire at 56 but want a good SS income strategy to maximize my overall retirement strategy and make sure DW has the most survivor bennifits. DW does not work outside of our home. The numbers:

My monthly benefit at 62 will be 1580, at 67 it will be 2200 and at 70 will be 3000.

DW's monthlies are 500 at 62, 700 at 67 and 900 at 70.

How should we file to some income when DW turns 62 but max out her spousal/survivor benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure what you mean by "... file some income when DW turns 62..."

Regardless, your DW's spousal/survivor benefit is simply your benefit (if higher than hers), upon your death. So to maximize that spousal benefit, you wait until 70 to claim.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When the time comes, check out socialsecuritysolutions.com

Your situation is similar to mine in that my DW has a much lower PIA because she was a SAHM. In my case, DW is about 9 months older. Our plan is to have her take her PIA at her FRA for 9 months, then I'll file and suspend at my FRA and her benefit will be bumped up to her spousal benefit based on my work record and then I'll claim at 70 so if I predecease her she will continue to receive my higher benefit.

If somehow the investment results are poor, we can always start if we want anytime after 62.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote