Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets
I will FIRE in ten days - 30 January (61, but since I always assumed it would be 65 it is EARLY)! Yes, everyone's situation is different and each must make their own decision. DW and I will take SS at FRE, 66 (birthdays within 30 days of each other). DW was stay-at-home spouse so will get spousal benefit. Running our numbers, wash age between starting at 66 vs. 70 is age 83. I expect the advantage of not drawing on savings from 66 - 70 will more than make up for greater SS total after age 83 (should either/both of us live that long). Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time given changing circumstances or new information!

beltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's clear that everyone has different circumstances and/or concerns that factors into when they decide to take SS.

I can remember thinking seriously about it in my mid 40's that I would take it at 62. And when I turned 62, I did take it, but the reasons I took it had completely changed. Funny, as I got older, I began to see some things differently. For the DW and I, it was never a concern of having enough money no matter when we were to take it or how long we might live. Now, a few years into it, I'm 100% happy with my decision.

It's pretty much a done deal now but who knows, maybe in another 20 years I may see it differently again.

Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote