Join Early Retirement Today

When we say "Bonds" do we mean Bond Mutual Funds?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

When we say "Bonds" do we mean Bond Mutual Funds?

Hello Forum Members,

I apologize if this question is super "dumb!" --- but on this Forum when we speak of asset allocation between stocks and bonds, I always assume that we are generally speaking of stock funds and bond funds as well as of individual stocks and individual bonds? Or do Forum members mean individual bonds, not bond mutual funds?

Thank you in advance for any clarification.

Retire 2014
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For myself, bond mutual funds and the bonds held in mixed mutual funds.

I do not have the knowledge needed to intelligently select individual bond issues.
And I am too lazy to find out.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

About 75% of members here mean bond funds though they may they use the word "bonds" when posting. The other 25% were a mix of both or entirely individual bonds. It's a good question, worth clarifying before you act, there are similarities but there are significant differences as well.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ted-59626.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I mean both individual bonds and bond funds. When I talk about "bonds" in my AA, I also include CDs in there.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

To me "bonds" are individual bonds, bond funds, CDs of 2+ year duration, and perhaps even fixed annuities. Some would even consider the present value of their pensions as an allocation to "bonds", but that's a matter of individual preference.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Administrator

As you can see from the first few replies, bonds can mean lots of things to different people. I use the VG portfolio analyzer to show my allocation to bonds, and I don't classify I-Bonds and CD's as bonds - I classify them as cash.

I also don't include our pensions or SS in the AA calculation at all, as for me they are income streams just like our salaries used to be.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I hold both and I include CDs and any permanent allocation to cash in the category as well.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I always assume that we are generally speaking of stock funds and bond funds as well as of individual stocks and individual bonds?...
Yes.

Stocks/Equities = individual stocks as well as stock funds
Bonds/Fixed income = individual bonds as well as bond funds

Of course balanced funds like Wellesley, Wellington, Dodge&Cox Balanced hold a mixture of stocks and bonds.

And same as earlier posters, I count I-bonds as cash, because unlike ordinary bonds, there is no loss of principal if interest rate rises. I guess I would also count short-term CDs as cash, although I do not have any at this point.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always thought that municipal bonds were part of 'bonds' in this forum... :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

ob - yes, of course munis bonds are bonds too.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think in terms of equities (stocks, stock mutual funds) and fixed income (bonds, bond funds, CD's). However that may be overly simplistic. For example many preferred stocks act more like long term bonds, and even bonds (long vs short term, investment grade vs junk) can act very differently when market conditions change quickly.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

***many preferred stocks act more like long term bonds***

yup

***bonds (long vs short term, investment grade vs junk) can act very differently when market conditions change ***

yup too

The questions are always easier than the answers
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
junk) can act very differently when market conditions change quickly.
Personally, I always go through the exercise of what a junk issuer would look like as an equity if they went bust, wipe out the existing equity holders and swapped my bonds for the equity. If it does not work as an (extremely) cheap equity, I am not interested in the bonds.

- George Orwell

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I treat cash and bonds separately in my asset allocation (because they behave differently*), but I only own bond funds. If I refer to fixed income - that includes both.

*Bonds can have capital appreciation or loss. Cash does not.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been classing as "bonds" bond funds, savings bonds, and T-bills and bonds.No idea how valid it is.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I consider both bond funds (I own these) and bonds (I do not own these) in the same way. I count them both as my fixed income asset class.

Actually, I do have some old US EE Savings bonds (that I consider as fixed income), but I heard somewhere they should be counted in the cash asset class.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I treat cash and bonds separately in my asset allocation (because they behave differently*), but I only own bond funds. If I refer to fixed income - that includes both.

Although I own very little cash in my portfolio, I treat cash differently from bonds in my AA. I also consider CDs as cash, not bonds. Bonds include individual bonds and bond funds, just as stocks include individual stocks and stock funds. My friend whom I help with his mostly inherited portfolio has investments in everything I listed above, so I have to narrow it down to 3 categories (stock, bond, cash) to keep it simple and explainable to him.

I recognize that bonds rated at or just below investment grade may have traits which resemble stocks more than higher rated bonds, just as preferred stocks may act more like bonds than more typical common stocks. The grey areas can be pretty wide in places.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I guess I look at portfolio cash as fixed income because it is basically bonds with a zero or near zero duration. I don't normally hold cash, but for me this is an alternative to buying what I consider to be badly overpriced treasuries.

- George Orwell

Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you EVERYONE for your explanations and comments. Have a great day!
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Not that there's a wrong way but me too, ie my current AA is 56:39:5. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote