Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Martha, all I can say is that when I was looking for my present home, I was really grossed out by one home with dirty diapers in evidence and babies everywhere. I also had a hard time evaluating a (probably perfectly nice) home that smelled like wet wolves had been rolling on the carpet due to the dogs, and another that smelled like cigars. So, I tend to agree with Moemg's list though I do not plan to set the table. It does have a pretty lace tablecloth on it, and centerpiece, though.

When the time comes for me to sell, my tentative plan is to:

(1) get rid of much (but not all) of my furniture
(2) hide anything personal like the paintings and sculptures, and remove nearly everything from the granite countertops and turn on the lights that show them off; empty the closets almost completely
(3) paint where needed
(4) finish the deferred maintenance
(5) probably get the carpets replaced if my realtor thinks I should.
(6) clean as thoroughly as I can
(7) then after that hire a professional service to clean even more thoroughly.
(8) use a light apple or citrus scent or do the old "baking cookies" thing, and
(9) call it a day.

One of my bedrooms is tiny - - only 9'x9'. I use it as my office/computer room. When I bought my house the prior owner had a smaller-than-twin bed in that bedroom and a tiny antique desk. I am on the fence as to whether to do that, have it completely empty, or half fill it with boxes of my stored stuff.
we are in the sme boat ... so to speak.. however, I agree with your main points.... make the 9x9 a bedroom no matter how small... a be bedroom is worth 5k extra!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought my present house for a bargain because it was HGTV's nightmare house . The bathroom had foil wallpaper and leopard print towels . The living room with 18'windows looking out at the bay had tie dye curtains , the ugliest kitchen counter known to man with a matching kitchen floor and the office was painted black . For once in my life I saw beyond this and made a low ball offer . It has two and a half lots on Sarasota Bay . It is 3800 square feet with a three car garage , a pool, an elevator and a huge deck . So I stripped wall paper until I finally gave up and hired someone .I had the kitchen counter top and floor replaced ,I replaced the tie dye curtains with custom sheers and after several coats of paint the office was green not black . The good news is even with the real estate downturn I can sell my house for a lot more than I paid .

Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
(snip)
When the time comes for me to sell, my tentative plan is to:

(1) get rid of much (but not all) of my furniture
(2) hide anything personal like the paintings and sculptures, and remove nearly everything from the granite countertops and turn on the lights that show them off; empty the closets almost completely
(3) paint where needed
(4) finish the deferred maintenance
(5) probably get the carpets replaced if my realtor thinks I should.
(6) clean as thoroughly as I can
(7) then after that hire a professional service to clean even more thoroughly.
(8) use a light apple or citrus scent or do the old "baking cookies" thing, and
(9) call it a day.
(snip)
I've thought about this some too. I planned to put most of my stuff in storage before putting the house on the market, add some quick color in the garden area, maybe clean and possibly re-stretch the carpet to remove wrinkles, and have someone wash the vinyl siding. I might bake cookies on an open house.

I wonder whether the other expenditures would pay for themselves or not. If it costs me X dollars to have the inside of the house repainted, will the house sell for more than X dollars above what it would have sold for unpainted, and so on. Or does all this staging make the house more likely to sell quickly rather than more likely to sell higher? It might be worth doing for a quick sale, even if the eventual price is no higher than the house would have sold for un-staged.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I wonder whether the other expenditures would pay for themselves or not. If it costs me X dollars to have the inside of the house repainted, will the house sell for more than X dollars above what it would have sold for unpainted, and so on. Or does all this staging make the house more likely to sell quickly rather than more likely to sell higher? It might be worth doing for a quick sale, even if the eventual price is no higher than the house would have sold for un-staged.
I am not expecting a higher price at ALL... I think the idea is to get it to sell a little faster. There's a lot to be said for that, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am not expecting a higher price at ALL... I think the idea is to get it to sell a little faster. There's a lot to be said for that, though.
I actually believe it will not only sell faster but likely higher as well...