Join Early Retirement Today
When you had become self sustained.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
When you had become self sustained.

At what age you had become a financially self sustained person? Usually there are reasons for it if it happens earlier than average like growing up in a single parent household, parent(s) who did not spoil you or buy even necessary things for you, requiring working for it etc.
I started to work at 18 and while living with my parents, gave them 1/2 of my wages just because my parents could not afford things I wanted to have.

VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
This summarizes my situation:

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Age 38. Grew up under the tutelage of ignorance, anger, and alcoholism. Was good enough for the grown-ups I suppose but not for me. I ran away from home at 18 and joined the circus... I mean the Air Force. Did the minimum to get where I wanted to be then kissed them off too.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
At age 20. A friend of mine gave me some good advice. As soon as you graduate, get out of NY.
I left home and never looked back. In a book called "The Run for Home" there is a statement"His home had become a loving prison", and I felt that way too.
Years later my mom said that they sort of resented the fact that I left, but that was the way it was.
I worked over 50 years in Aerospace, then retired and again never looked back.
Retired Jan 2009 Have not looked back.
AA 95%/0/5
WR 2% SI 2SS & 2 Pensions
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
23. Second year of law school. Made enough summer after first year to support myself (First year was living off of loans, so don't count that one.)
OMY * 3 2ish
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
At 18 when I escaped from behind an Iron Curtain and had no choice but to become self sustained.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
I think I may have misread. Self-sustaining, not Financially independent? That would be age 18.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...
23. Graduated medical school with no debt. Earned low wages as an intern, but did little except work and sleep, so expenses were low. Lived at home, paid rent to Mum and Dad. Saved 75% of the cost of my first car during internship.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Age 19 when my parents divorced and said I was on my own. Worked my way through a state university along with a few student loans to help. I think it all made me wiser financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...
Somewhere around 18. My parents paid for part of the first year of college, but between loans, scholarships, grants, and part time work I was able to pay for everything after my first year in college.

I figured I was an adult at that point and my parents had their own financial goals in life (mainly retirement) so no need for me to mooch off of them when my arms and legs worked just fine. We never lived a luxurious life growing up so living like a broke college student suited me just fine (and mostly still does!).

I did received a $7000 gift during law school when I was 21. My dad had given my older brother a few thousand $$ in his UTMA account (designed for college savings though he never attended) when we were little, and so wanted to make it fair between what we each received. So after hearing I had PMI on my mortgage for my condo, he asked how much it would take to get it removed. $7,000 which was the 10% of the loan needed to pay it off to get to 80% LTV. I look at that as a gift and not something I needed for support, though the spoon was still silver.

Other than that, it's been $25 or $50 here and there for birthdays and Christmas, and they probably buy slightly more meals out than I do, though I try to treat when I can sneak the bill.
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Age 22, when I graduated from college. I moved out but then moved back home for a few months before moving out again. I was working the whole time and paying my parents some rent for the 7 months I was back home.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Age 23 when I was hired by the police department and had enough income to support myself. I was still living at home at the time since there was no urgency to leave (we got along well) and Mom liked having a live-in handyman. I paid some rent but it was admittedly token.

My older sister boomeranged back with a 2-year-old son a year or so later. Toddlers and shift work don't go well together so I then got an apartment. She was in a much tougher spot than I was so it didn't trouble me.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
22, when I graduated college.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
20, when DW and I got married. Took care of the last 2 years of state college on our own, back in the day when a full-time summer job and part time work during the school year could actually cover costs.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
I had a job at 16 and paid for many expenses then (gas, clothes, school supplies etc.), but DM still provided room and at least a third of my board. I was 17 when I joined the army. Future Step-Dad must've paid for flights home on leave (I can't imagine I would've saved 40-60% of my stipend just to return to Iowa), but Uncle Sam provided all the necessities.

I was commissioned a month before I turned 22 and I'm sure I paid for my personal travel after that, but I still wasn't too proud to let my folks pick up the occasional dinner tab.
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
I've been financially self-sustaining since 23 even though I still live with my parents (apartment rental). We immigrated when I was 19 and I was the first one to get a job. Since we moved to the US, my income has always been greater than my parents' combined income. We live together for practical purposes and around 75% of my take-home pay goes towards shared household expenses (and I expect I'll be supporting them upon retirement, too).
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
At 18-ish. Left home in a small town in Louisiana to go to college. Grants, Student Loans, summer jobs were required to pay for it. Spent summers at home. Parents were emotionally supportive (especially since I was the first one in the family to go to college out of a total of 11 kids), just couldn't be financially. After graduation moved away from the state at age 22 to work in the semiconductor industry. Priority 1 was to pay off student loans and did that in just a few years.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe
I grew up on the farm in a farming community and was fortunate enough to get paid for whatever work I did. Started work, very, very young and was taught how to save money, only because we never had a lot. Lucky enough to work in the auto industry, in summers after I turned 18 and made big money back then ($10/hr in 1978).

Paid my way thru Engineering School, and bought a brand new car when I graduated. My plan was to take 6 months off and travel to see the things I've missed out on, but the week after I graduated, I started a new job. Been working ever since.

I've been FI for a couple of years now, but just have not pulled that retiring early trigger yet. Maybe soon!
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...
When I volunteered into the Army at 19.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado
Well this brings back 40+ year memories...

Age 17 when I left home for college. I had a $1350 scholarship from
which they deducted $600 tuition. That plus a very tiny (maybe about $250)
student loan kept me going. Of course that meant no phone, no car, no travel...

Later in college I had a summer job which paid $860/month and the
opportunity to live in a kind of company dormitory for $25/month. I never
felt so rich ever again...

I was misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote