Join Early Retirement Today

Where can I find a Suze Orman type?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where can I find a Suze Orman type?

I have a relative who is in pretty bad financial shape. She's in her 50's and her relatives and friends have tried to help without much success. How can I find a financial planner who is an expert on helping people in tough financial shape?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Financial Peace University is put on by Dave Ramsey trained folks all over the country. They train the trainer and then work the program thru churches, schools and any organization that wants to provide a gathering place. I have seen them in the public libraries a couple of times. He promotes the snowball approach to pay down debt and beans and rice principals. He has a tv show on Fox Business and I think has a very good program.

Remember your relative has to be willing to change or it is all for naught.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Financial Peace University is put on by Dave Ramsey trained folks all over the country. They train the trainer and then work the program thru churches, schools and any organization that wants to provide a gathering place. I have seen them in the public libraries a couple of times. He promotes the snowball approach to pay down debt and beans and rice principals. He has a tv show on Fox Business and I think has a very good program.
Thanks! I'll definitely look into this. It could be extremely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Remember your relative has to be willing to change or it is all for naught.
That's my biggest concern. She doesn't spend a lot on wasteful things, she just makes poor financial and job related decisions.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ramsey is great for people who are so deeply in debt that they can't see the light anymore. Most of his callers are in horrible straits and don't have a clue about personal finance. He offers some simple and effective advice for how to stop digging the hole deeper. If that is where your relative is, Ramsey might fit the bill.

His teachings do rely heavily on a biblical philosophy and some folks might have a difficult time with that.

His post-disaster recovery advice (i.e., making simple investments after you've resolved the debt disaster and established an EF) is not very sophisticated. But most of his callers don't have the slightest clue about anything financial other than how to run up debt, so that's probably not a problem. But it's not the kind of stuff most of us here would do, and there have been times when I've winced when he starts talking to a caller about how to invest in mutual funds.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll second (or third) on the Financial Peace University. One of the best things about these courses is that they are held in small groups (albeit usually in churches) so there is a lot of community support during the 13 weeks.
There is also a military program available. It is basic common sense stuff to those of us on the forum, but for millions of others--it is miraculous.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Here is a possibility
http://www.nfcc.org/CreditCounseling/faq.cfm#d
Halfway down the page...
"What do NFCC Members charge for counseling services?
It varies depending on the support for each member and state laws, but the majority of these services are provided at no or low cost to clients."
Old 08-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
See pages 4-12 here
http://www.cfp.net/Downloads/2009Standards.pdf
to see if this fits her needs.
As if I don't know this by heart, eh? Good stuff, isn't it?

But I will say in fairness, that if she needs a basic financial education, she probably could get one cheaper than time with a CFP, not that I don't want to line the pockets of my fellow CFPs!

However, a fee only planner that she could pay by the hour could help her get a plan together for her finances if she needs a lot of hand-holding.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
As if I don't know this by heart, eh? Good stuff, isn't it?

But I will say in fairness, that if she needs a basic financial education, she probably could get one cheaper than time with a CFP, not that I don't want to line the pockets of my fellow CFPs!

However, a fee only planner that she could pay by the hour could help her get a plan together for her finances if she needs a lot of hand-holding.
I just re-read the OP and realized a CFP's fees might be out of her reach right now.
See my updated post #6 for info about NFCC.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My fault, I thought the OP was gay and wanting a partner!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #10

She has to first recognize that she has a problem.

She then has to acknowledge that her behavior is the problem.

She then has to want to make the changes in her behavior to solve the problem.

Not everyone can do that.

I have a distant relative who wanted me to "loan" her $5k for a bankruptcy attorney as her house was about to be foreclosed on. When I declined (she has borrowed from others in the past and never repaid) her response was "Well, when one door closes another opens". That, to me, is a denial of responsibility.

When last heard from she and her daughter were applying for food stamps. This is someone who at one time owned a home free and clear that even in the current market would still sell for $400k+.

She just doesn't get it. Her past behavior is the reason she's in the jam she's in now, and unless and until she acknowledges that I see little hope for her. This is not very likely since she's now in her 80's.