Where did Penfed's promo CD's go?

Do you already have an IRA Share account at PenFed? Maybe that's why you have that option. They told me that I'd have to open an IRA Share account which involves sending in the application by mail from the .pdf form on the site. Only $25 is needed to open one.

Yeah, I do. They required me to open an IRA share account years ago to deposit rollover funds for my IRA-CD. They would not let me buy the IRA CD directly. The account has sat there ever since with a zero balance. My maturing CD's are non-IRA, so I will do another rollover from Fidelity IRA to Penfed IRA share account to fund the IRA-CD's that are reserved.

I went to PenFed this morning to reserve another cd ....and poof....no certificate options. I still have the 2 that I reserved listed. I think that they altered the site within the past few hours.

Molly:

I just checked right now. It's still available.

1. Go to main menu

2. click "account action"

3. Look for "certificate options" click it.

4. Look on the right side, you will see the familiar Certificate Reservation
Box.

Just followed Wolf's and other's directions - our certs mature Jan 25 2015. On the right side there is a box with pictorial promotions for Home Equity loan, New & Used auto loan, and low rates on first mortgages. On the left, I can choose to renew the cert, get paid at maturity by check or deposit, and change the term of the cert.

Nothing that tempts me with high(er) specified interest. Are they offering anything better than the 4% APY our 5 year certs have?

Molly:

I just checked right now. It's still available.

1. Go to main menu

2. click "account action"

3. Look for "certificate options" click it.

4. Look on the right side, you will see the familiar Certificate Reservation
Box.

The promotion is no longer out there when I do the above. I'm glad I made a reservation when I did.

For everyone except me, apparently.

-On the certificat options page there is a blue and orange box on the right side of the page with the reservation offer.

I can still access the reservation offer via Wolf's directions or the other method. I like Wolf's advice better. There is still 161M available as of 5:19pm eastern time, so the pot is far from dry.

I can still access the reservation offer via Wolf's directions or the other method. I like Wolf's advice better. There is still 161M available as of 5:19pm eastern time, so the pot is far from dry.

For everyone except me, apparently.

You and me both Amethyst. Think they are spoofing us. Notice no one is saying what the promo offer is...I want to see a print screen of the alleged offer!

Here's a capture of the page I see when I click on Certificate Options -

x21bp4.jpg

When you click on the PROMOTIONS - Certificate Reservations link it takes you to
scas0o.jpg

Thanks Sue J. Clearly, quoth the blind man, an elephant is much like a tree.

PenFed is down for scheduled maintenance right now, and i was having difficulty doing a screen cap before that message, but on the same page you show I was getting no certificate reservations box under promotions and no existing reservations page of course. Instead, my promotions included only the Home Equity loan, New & Used auto loan, and low rates on first mortgages. Methinks our current 1/2015 certificate maturity is just too far out for Penfed to offer the new promo to us.

Thankyou for showing that screen capture.

Thanks Wolf and everybody else...but still can't access the offer. We got in the door from my husband's IRA, and his Roth IRA. However, when I log in on my account the offer does not show up. Also, our we have a regular joint CD...and the offer shows up when he logs in to his account but not when I log in.

I have to dig deeper. After talking to a representative --- I think that they changed the rules.

I only have regular PenFed CDs but none maturing before 2012. When following the instructions, no special offers show up for me.

I wish there was a way to get a higher rate with new money but it looks like only 3.49% for a 7 year CD.

Am I missing something, or is the best I can do?

Tom, mine don't expire till 2012 also yet I was able to reserve one for January. I would try again if I were you.

Think there are different screens presented to different customers, based on certificate maturity perhaps? My promo isn't the same as some others. Trying to do a screen capture this is what I get:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 12
My question is how they can make money at those rates. I once was involved in an NCUA insurance case (long ago) and I was not impressed with the level of financial regulation. Exactly how are they making money paying 5% ?
Loan Growth Falls To Historic Lows

Credit Union Journal Daily Briefing | Wednesday, September 8, 2010

WASHINGTON – Credit union lending has all but dried up, even with interest rates plunging to new lows, leaving new challenges for credit unions to attract borrowers.
Monthly data complied by CUNA from almost 500 credit unions showed total credit union loans declined by 0.1% during July, and have declined by almost 1% for the first seven months of the year.
That’s the first time in almost 30 years credit unions have had negative loan growth through the first seven months of a year, according to Bill Hampel, chief economist for CUNA, who predicted the weakest year for loan growth since World War Two. “That’s why this recovery is so weak,” said Hampel.
The CUNA economist attributed the continued lack of loan demand to the efforts by consumers to pay down debt. “For the past 15 years the household sector has increased its debt faster than it has increased its income,” he said. “What we’re seeing now is a de-leveraging of the household sector.”
Tun Wai, chief economist for NAFCU, said the enduring recession has had pushed down demand, even for borrowers who have not lost their jobs. “If you are employed and you are really concerned about the future you don’t spend and you’re really trying to pay down your debt,” he said.
“I think there is going to be rather slow loan growth for quite some time,” Wai told Credit Union Journal yesterday.
NCUA figures for the first six months of the year, which were released last week, show loan growth for the first half at a meager 0.1%, with the fastest-growing types of loans being those with members seeking lower payments and less collateral.
New auto loans, for example, fell by 4.2% in the first quarter and by another 5.7% in the second quarter – almost 10% for the first half of the year. Credit card loans were down almost 0.6% for the first half, while first mortgages – fueled by decades-low rates – were up only 1.2% for the first half of the year.
The slack loan demand creates a major dilemma for credit unions who now have cash to lend but few takers, according to NAFCU’s Wai. “The question is, what are you going to do with it? Some credit unions are probably holding on to it as cash,” he said.
Both CUNA and NCUA figures also show a big drop in share growth. NCUA said share growth slowed from 11% annualized for the first quarter to just 0.6% in the second quarter. CUNA’s figures show shares grew by just 4.17% for the first seven months, half of the 8.73% growth rate for the same period last year.

I am afraind that someone is stoking a balace sheet with taxpayer taking the risk

My question is how they can make money at those rates. Exactly how are they making money paying 5% ?

I wondered this 7-8 years ago when I bought my first CD's at PenFed.(At 5.25%)

My guess was and still is that they make enough loans at 8.99% to make money on the 5% CD's.
They make boat, cycle, personal, and consolidation loans at around that 9% mark, along with credit cards at higher rates.They have a lot of service person clients, who need these kind of loans. I have watched the rating on PenFed, along with reading financial reports, which I don't profess to be an expert at, and feel safe with my money. I do keep my $ amounts below the insurance level, for the most part.(A tiny part of SO's IRA will be over in a year for a year or so)

But why pay 5% for money with 100% treasury guarantees? If you have a genuine retail franchise you go to some major player and borrow milllions at 3-3.5 %

Don't they require you ( A bank or CU)to have so much core deposits?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom