Join Early Retirement Today

Where did Penfed's promo CD's go?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where did Penfed's promo CD's go?

Just tried to log-on to Penfed's website to see how much money was left to fund their promotional CD rates / reservation. Can no longer fine that webpage. I was on it a few days ago. Did they exhaust the $240 million that they were looking for? I've reserved 5% CD's in the last 2 weeks.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still there I just clicked in and reviewed it. Click on your options for current cd and it is on that screen.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't find such an offer anywhere - including Certificate Options. Does your certificate have to be within X months of renewal?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It does not show up on my account today, and it did a few days ago,so I'm wondering if they pulled it early like they did the off a year ago.
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I can't see the offer anymore either... As of Friday, 12:14 pm, they still had 177M+ available.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Too late, I decided to use up the last 177M. Sorry!
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The promo is still there; I actually put in a request this morning.

If you have an existing CD, even if it's not maturing, sign on, on the main menu page, right side under "I Want to ..." click on "more" to get to "other services". then under "account services" click on "Certificate Options", then you should see
Promotions / Certificate Reservation" in the upper right.

Hope this helps!
gailwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post

If you have an existing CD, even if it's not maturing, sign on, on the main menu page, right side under "I Want to ..." click on "more" to get to "other services". then under "account services" click on "Certificate Options", then you should see

Hope this helps!
I did exactly what you said again, and there are 3 promo's, but not the Cert. reservation one. My CD matures in January, 2011 , so maybe they did something so only folks with CD's coming due in Oct see the link.
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I finally figured out how to get there! I clicked on one of my previous reserved CD's and there it was. Penfed is still looking for $171 million.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I did exactly what you said again, and there are 3 promo's, but not the Cert. reservation one. My CD matures in January, 2011 , so maybe they did something so only folks with CD's coming due in Oct see the link.

I have 2 CD's with Pen Fed and they don't expire for over a year. I was able to see the promotion and lock in one for January. They sent me a reservation via Email for the date I picked. You have to have the money in the account 2 days before the CD starts.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I don't even get any promotions. All I see is "Certificate Maturity." My CD matures in Oct 2011. Think I'll call them tomorrow, to ask why I seem to be chopped liver compared to other members...

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post

Hope this helps!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #12

I haven't reserved yet, but I know we will be doing something for 10 years. For those of you who have already reserved, can you make more than one reservation, like if I want to have multiple smaller CDs rather than all in one? Or is this for one reservation only and you have to do it all in one cd?

We are thinking of doing a CD in a Roth IRA for each of us.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

You can reserve as many as you want. I currently have 2 reserved for myself and 4 for my Dad.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I haven't reserved yet, but I know we will be doing something for 10 years. For those of you who have already reserved, can you make more than one reservation, like if I want to have multiple smaller CDs rather than all in one? Or is this for one reservation only and you have to do it all in one cd?

We are thinking of doing a CD in a Roth IRA for each of us.
I had four CD's maturing and I made four reservations. Each time I went through the reservation process it let me pick the details, or I think I could have combined the four into one.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #15

Grrr...

I tried to reserve certificates as Roth IRAs and it gave me a warning that I don't have the correct type of account and that I need to call in. My current certificates are regular, not IRAs. The PenFed person told me that I cannot reserve new certificates as IRAs unless the maturing ones are already IRAs.

So I went ahead and reserved as regular certificates. Might be smart to open an IRA account anyways for another time when they have another promotion rate going.

Also, on the phone she told me that you could only reserve the amount that you currently have maturing but it let me reserve much more than that.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #16

Every time I called a got a different story from the Rep.

Brewer was right, just go on line and reserve the CD, get the email conformation, and you're done. 2 Rep's said no way do I qualify.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #17

I am a little confused, I guess. I called yesterday, and the representative told me the promotion was for only cd's maturing this October. I have a CD that matures mid 2012.

Is this promotion only to rollover your existing CD? Can you open any additional CD's in January.

Rep did say they would have a new promotion some time in Jan., but it would be predicated on rates come Jan.

Did you folks who were able to reserve them on line for Jan have CD's maturing around that time, or did any of you have them further out like mine?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #18

I have CD's at Penfed but my earliest maturing CD is in 2014. I could not find any link for the promotional CD's when I logged on to the Penfed website.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I am a little confused, I guess. I called yesterday, and the representative told me the promotion was for only cd's maturing this October. I have a CD that matures mid 2012.

Is this promotion only to rollover your existing CD? Can you open any additional CD's in January.

Rep did say they would have a new promotion some time in Jan., but it would be predicated on rates come Jan.

Did you folks who were able to reserve them on line for Jan have CD's maturing around that time, or did any of you have them further out like mine?
I have the exact situation as you. Maturing in 2012. I went online and followed the steps shown earlier in this thread and made a reservation for an amount close to what I already have with PF. I got a confirm that I was good to go. I will transfer money to my checking account at PF a few days before the first of January. This is the acct I told them that the new cd's would be funded from.

My guess this offer was suppose to be for maturing cd's this year, but they had/have a hole in their website allowing for many of us to make reservations with new money. Not sure if they have plugged the hole or not.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #20

Dawg +1