Join Early Retirement Today

Where have all your savings gone?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where have all your savings gone?

I thought this was an interesting, timely read...YMMV.
Where have your savings gone? | Where have all your savings gone? | The Economist

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, unfortunately MPT broke this year I think. Well in a sense it has been broken for a few years, it's just that you didn't notice previously because everything was going up in value.

Due to Hedgefunds and lots of hot money flowing around the globe, correlation between most asset classes is quite high. For example, a hedgie has a bet on corn and another in gold. The gold bet goes bad forcing a sell in corn to meet margin. What does corn have to do with gold? Nothing, until the hedgie got involved.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

" Implausible as it may sound, right now equities and corporate bonds are a better long-term bet than cash."

I have a little cash remaining that I am planning to invest (not much remaining)- so far the plan is - not written in stone:
High Yield corp bonds - now
USA investments - by the end of the year - lowering the avg cost basis
Outside USA - when the Dollar spikes up
Commodities - next year sometime - might be when the dollar spikes up also.

It isn't easy to do this. I keep repeating - it will be up in the long term (I know, I know, we are all dead in the long term.)

Those still working should definitely still be investing.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Those still working should definitely still be investing.
... and plan to stay working for a few more years.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
A rule of thumb is that total contributions need to be around 20% of wages to match a traditional final-salary scheme.
In the past, public pensions only require a contribution rate of much less than 20%. How does the government afford to pay pension benefits?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
" Implausible as it may sound, right now equities and corporate bonds are a better long-term bet than cash."
This, to me, seems unquestionably true. Equities are harder to judge than bonds because forward earnings are hugely uncertain. But high quality corporates are currently pricing in default rates exceeding those seen during the great depression. Even a class of corporate bond that rarely ever defaults and has always paid 100% of par plus accrued in default (i.e. electric utility first mortgage bonds) can be found at "junk" spreads of 400bp-600bp over treasuries. This is a gift for anyone with cash. Some high yield corporates and commercial mortgage backed securities are offering similarly outrages yields. These extreme bargains in the credit markets make me think equities will also prove to be trading at very cheap levels.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Right now I am buying mostly US equities and corporate bonds (via VG Wellington + VG Wellesley + NAESX) with some smaller bets on munis, TIPS and REITs.

I have started nibbling on commodities and foreign equities as well.

Less than 4% of my porfolio is now in cash.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
This is a gift for anyone with cash.
Yes, if and only if one has a plenty of it.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Yes, if and only if one has a plenty of it.
Does my 50% cash count as "plenty"?

Why am I afraid of parting with it?

I hope to be envious of FireDreamer and Haha. No guts, no glory. No doomer here, but I let others lead the charge. I'll be right behind them. Sometimes next year, will go back to my usual 70% equity AA.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
In the past, public pensions only require a contribution rate of much less than 20%. How does the government afford to pay pension benefits?
Plans are not created the same. My former employer does not actually pay pension benefits, but makes contributions into an independent pension fund that is administered by an elected board of trustees. The rates are now 10.25% contribution from employees and 16% from the city. I know that the city is currently contributing more because they did not make the agreed upon contributions for a number of years, but I'm not sure if the 16% will be what is agreed upon in the long term or not. So, total contributions between employee and employer is 26.25%.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I hope to be envious of FireDreamer and Haha.
Maybe we'll be envious of you!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I thought this was an interesting, timely read...YMMV.
I enjoy reading the Economist but I don't have the stamina to keep up with it every week.

This article sounds like a confirmation of the "buy high, sell low" Dalbar study. The idea of higher consumer spending, however, may solve short-term symptoms while exacerbating long-term ones.

I think the biggest problem with the current market situation is investor psychology. Many investors are sitting on piles of cash that would last for years yet we feel compelled to take action to resolve situations that are years away, if they ever occur at all. We're also peering at the daily markets with a microscope and trying to make plans that should only be viewed through a telescope.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think the biggest problem with the current market situation is investor psychology. Many investors are sitting on piles of cash that would last for years yet we feel compelled to take action to resolve situations that are years away, if they ever occur at all.
Jobs are the currency of consumer confidence. When people see massive job losses they lose confidence that theirs will be safe too, and they hoard cash. This, of course, secures their individual financial futures but when a critical mass of people start doing this, the reduced economic activity just leads to more job losses and even more "defensive" hoarding of cash.

Rinse, lather, repeat, until some how economic events manage to break out of that vicious circle.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Maybe we'll be envious of you!
I like your attitude. Life is full of uncertainties. Do what you can feel most comfortable with. Then, spend time to dream of your next vacation destination, or think of how to make that fideua better the next time.

Uncle Mick got it all figured out. heh heh heh...

PS. I still have not bought Wellesley yet. heh heh heh
Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I like your attitude. Life is full of uncertainties. Do what you can feel most comfortable with. Then, spend time to dream of your next vacation destination, or think of how to make that fideua better the next time.

Uncle Mick got it all figured out. heh heh heh...

PS. I still have not bought Wellesley yet. heh heh heh
Yes, life is indeed full of uncertainties, but as the French say... c'est la vie mon ami! You have to live your life and stop worrying about things you can't control. Come to think of it, it's a bit like Bogle's investment strategy: set an appropriate AA (risk), minimize your fees and taxes and then... go do something more interesting.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #16

Quote:
where have all your savings gone
"Gone to graveyards, everyone. When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn"

With apologies to Bob Dylan.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Surely you know the answer to this question?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

It does amaze me . My late husband's contributions to his government pension was $36,000 for that he would have collected $33,500 cola for life . I worked twenty years for a hospital in new Jersey and for that I got a lump sum of $60,000.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
"Gone to graveyards, everyone. When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn"

With apologies to Bob Dylan.
From which, flowers will bloom.

I always like the Kingston Trio rendition of this song. I did not know Bob Dylan also sang it.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
From which, flowers will bloom.

I always like the Kingston Trio rendition of this song. I did not know Bob Dylan also sang it.
Peter, Paul & Mary; and Chad Mitchell Trio also did good versions.