Where is your cash?

My cash is in a saving account @0.6% --- bummer!!!! Planning to move it to a short-term bond fund.

Keeping 2 yrs of COH to pay the bills...

In Jan moved ST $ into : FFRHX, VWEHX and VFSTX ( per our Bond Port. Advisor/Firm)
With a Sell Stop of Taking back out our CB ( Cost Basis- Principal) when those funds hit +10% ytd's and move the CB $ into Laddered CD's.. and let the profits Ride the Wave..until further notice by them..( this changes every Yr )

For Jan. 07', it was ST & Intmed. Treasuries ( like they advised us in 00-02')
and VSGBX for our MMkt $.. to pay the bills...

and I have had a All Bond Portfolio for many yrs, with a past 10 yr apy of over 8% and a 4.5% ave. Yld.. Butt, using some Aggressive Bond Funds instead vs Equities.. and my Advisor have always moved the vast majority ( 75%) into Treasuries in Bear Markets..

past 11 yrs? So far, So Good..

and well worth paying them 0.50% fee ...
Don't Think most of us can do this Investing Game on our own..even using Mutual Funds.. It takes a Good Full time Pro' to stay up with their Peers.. an it may cost $5k Yr on a $1Mil Port. , but making the ave of +4% more a Yr is worth it to me..Not to mention Not loosing Nottin' Honey and making $ in Bear markets really makes me feel really Good.

Of course, I spent 30 yrs serving these Pro's in the market thru Being in the Limo business and thus knew who to use for my $..When I finally got some...an that time to retire came along..

;-)

GICs: 5 year closed at 4.0 and 4.25%, high interest savings accounts (my bank recently gave its preferred customers a higher rate in a push to increase its own money supply). I sold my money market fund because it was just treading water.

My plan is to invest cash yearly in 5 year GICs at the best possible rate, in both my TFSA and RRSP. After 5 years I will have a ladder and something will mature every year. The interest earned inside my TFSA will be tax free (although I can only add $5000, indexed for inflation, each year). Investments in my RRSP are tax deductible and no tax will be paid till I begin withdrawing from it (at age 71), after which withdrawals will be taxed as income.

Glossary:
GIC = Guaranteed Investment Certificate
TFSA = Tax Free Savings Account
RRSP = Registered Retirement Savings Plan

I have 5 yrs of laddered cd's(4%+ each), each one 1 yrs household budget. Each December I search BankRate and PenFed for the best rates.

I accumulate $ in my VGMM(.2% yld) and run my savings/checking accounts thru Bank of Internet(~2% yld).

Cash to me is a cushion against the market and allows me ample time to make adjustments. As long as the majority of it is beating inflation it is a win.

We are lucky in that interest rates for cash deposits are much higher in Austrlaia than here in the US. We are currently getting 7% for the next 5 years on term deposits.

I spent all of mine paying off all my debts, except the mortgage. I do have a small stash in the safe, but need some septic repairs, so will probably end up paying the bill with it.

I moved a chunk of change into Wellsley a few months ago. I decided I had too much cash lying around earning too little money.

I wish I had bought Dow Chemical stock instead...

At this point, do you think it is worth it to just go ahead and pay off the mortgage with the cash sitting around??

I moved a chunk of change into Wellsley a few months ago. I decided I had too much cash lying around earning too little money.

I wish I had bought Dow Chemical stock instead...
Yep, the agony and ecstasy of Wellesley - owning the fund is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Or so I hope. :)

At this point, do you think it is worth it to just go ahead and pay off the mortgage with the cash sitting around??
This is a subject of hot debate, but it seems to me that if the conventional wisdom that it is good to hold a mortgage during inflationary times (and I agree with that), then the converse ought to be true too: holding a mortgage in deflationary times is not such a good idea.

OTOH, we might be seeing significant inflation soon....

Cash? I ain't tellin you reprobates. Numbers? Mostly in PenFed 6.25% CDs till 1/2010. After that maybe I'll just keep making loans till I run out of money.

Mine is in Vangard MM and a few banks earning next to nothing. I'm stashing some at home that is earning nothing, but I'm saving on gas going to the bank to deposit/withdraw, so I may be comming out ahead.

heard on the radio yesterday that Citibank is offering CD's paying 3.5% with a minimum investment of $1,000. Might be of interest to someone.

Well I confess. With the miserable rates in cash I have put some of my cash into a fund I normally wouldn't - a Ginnie Mae bond fund - FGMNX. At least until cash rates "normalize" back to 2% or higher.
Audrey

Just bought some of this very fund for the first time yesterday. Seeing your post is a positive affirmation for me. This is a part of reducing my equities exposure though.

Free to canoe

Well I confess. With the miserable rates in cash I have put some of my cash into a fund I normally wouldn't - a Ginnie Mae bond fund - FGMNX. At least until cash rates "normalize" back to 2% or higher.

Audrey

Just bought some of this yesterday. Glad to see your post.

Free to canoe
I'm gonna be rude and quote my own message here, because I think it helps to see all the data in one place. I added a chart of the Prime MMF and the "two best" alternatives to show how they weathered the crisis.
View attachment 7393

Am I going to swap some MMF to GNMA? Dunno. Could some of the GNMA price increase be due to crisis market distortion that wvanishes (right after I commit)?

Thanks for the analysis.

Free to canoe

6 months living expenses in Vanguard Prime MM, but earning almost nothing :-(

Worried about job security, I pulled a bunch out of HELOC and parked it in 1 year and 1.5 year CDs paying slightly more than the HELOC rates (but only slightly). These are coming due soon, so either I need to put the money back on the HELOC or find another place to park it. Nothing is looking very attractive. Luckily I have a new job, so am less worried about job security now.

John Heinzl would say "yes".

The best investment? Paying off your mortgage - The Globe and Mail

Keep in mind that YMMV if your mortgage interest is tax deductible. My interpretation of this in a Canadian context is that the mortgage on a principal residence should be paid off ASAP, but a mortgage on an investment property should be paid off based on after tax cash flows.

Don't overlook gold. I am in the "distribution" phase I guess, and as a hedge against a private retirement (stocks, bonds) most of my wealth is my home and precious metals, mostly gold coins with a few collectibles thrown in for fun. Since early 2004 when I moved most of the funds into gold, it's done very well, like from $425 to $1000+ /oz. A safe deposit box costs about $35/year.

Don't overlook gold. I am in the "distribution" phase I guess, and as a hedge against a private retirement (stocks, bonds) most of my wealth is my home and precious metals, mostly gold coins with a few collectibles thrown in for fun. Since early 2004 when I moved most of the funds into gold, it's done very well, like from $425 to $1000+ /oz. A safe deposit box costs about $35/year.

How do you create cash flow from these investments?

Ha

So what do you guys and gals do for cash right now, at least the ones who aren't still riding 5% CDs? Are you just going with MMs and CDs and figuring low inflation makes it a wash? Short term bond funds? TIPs fund?
Good old boring TE muni bond funds, both national and NYS, just as I have been doing for several years, pre- and post-FIRE. :D
I just started up a small DCA amount into a NY TE MM fund, but after 3 months, decided to back off the DCA to that for a little while until it is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom