Join Early Retirement Today

Where Not To Die
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where Not To Die

Came across this today:

Where Not To Die In 2013 - Forbes

It is an interesting map. My current primary residence is in WA. I had heard something about estate taxes coming back but I hadn't read the details. I guess more states might go this way.

Perhaps this article was posted here last year. I searched but didn't find it.

For a lot of people some of these thresholds are high. On the other hand, some are very low. Oregon, for example taxes estates over $1,000,000. Iowa taxes all estates.

I have a Winter place in AZ, and I'm thinking that at some point, I will have to change residency from WA to AZ.

The way it works, the tax would be paid by our heirs since it due on the death of the 2nd person in the marriage. Maybe I shouldn't care, but it bothers me to give more money to the state.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Came across this today:

Where Not To Die In 2013 - Forbes

It is an interesting map. My current primary residence is in WA. I had heard something about estate taxes coming back but I hadn't read the details. I guess more states might go this way.

Perhaps this article was posted here last year. I searched but didn't find it.

For a lot of people some of these thresholds are high. On the other hand, some are very low. Oregon, for example taxes estates over $1,000,000. Iowa taxes all estates.

I have a Winter place in AZ, and I'm thinking that at some point, I will have to change residency from WA to AZ.

The way it works, the tax would be paid by our heirs since it due on the death of the 2nd person in the marriage. Maybe I shouldn't care, but it bothers me to give more money to the state.
Actually it is more where not to have your primary residence when you die

Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #3

Heck with it. I am spending it all before I die.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not planning to die in 2013.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Not planning to die in 2013.
Of the people I've known that have died, I don't recall ever hearing one of them plan it.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Of the people I've known that have died, I don't recall ever hearing one of them plan it.
Really?? If you have a Will, doesn't that mean you have planned some about your death?

I've planned for my death. Just don't know when. But I do know, none of us will get out of here alive.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our home base is also WA, with a $2MM exemption.

If I work until 100, I won't have $1MM, so no worries about estate taxes. The kids know they cannot expect anything from us anyway. We may wind up living in their basements anyway. Our turn!
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would note that "nowhere" was not an option...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #9

Surprised CA is not on the list. They seem to be great at getting money from folks.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Surprised CA is not on the list. They seem to be great at getting money from folks.
I guess CA figures most folks won't have much left after all of their other State taxes have been applied for a few years. Good plan, CA. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't have a family-owned business or kids with expensive tastes, I'm thinking the big issue is how much your surviving spouse would lose to the tax. The article was pretty thin about that for the "high tax" states.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

DF passed away a couple of weeks ago, in the great state of PA. His heirs all get to pay 4% on the inheritance. No deductible, doesn't matter where I live just he had the misfortune of dying in that state. The really messed up part is no one can acess their funds until this is paid. According to the attorney my sister is using, only takes a few months.
MRG
Old 01-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #13

I have a cousin who spent 30 years in social work and now works for a lawyer.....she says (insert an EF Hutton joke) that WA is the best state to die in as far as complications with the paperwork etc. Evidently easier for Wills, POA, and end of life instructions. We just updated our paperwork in Oct.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #14

I thought Iowa had a 1mm dollar exemption also. Is that right? anyone know?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Apparently there is no tax due within the family (spouse, kids, parents, etc.). Looks like there is no exemption for inheritances going outside the family.

Iowa Department of Revenue - Iowa Taxes
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
DF passed away a couple of weeks ago, in the great state of PA. His heirs all get to pay 4% on the inheritance. No deductible, doesn't matter where I live just he had the misfortune of dying in that state. The really messed up part is no one can acess their funds until this is paid. According to the attorney my sister is using, only takes a few months.
MRG
I would phrase it died will domiciled in that state. The critical issue is where you reside/are domicled when you die, not where you actually die.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I would phrase it died will domiciled in that state. The critical issue is where you reside/are domicled when you die, not where you actually die.
You are correct. Unfortunately that was his domicile. If he had been visiting, there is an exemption.
MRG