Join Early Retirement Today

Where oh where should the money go?
Old 01-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Where oh where should the money go?

In early November, moved 50% of my IRA into money market funds within Fidelity. For sure, it was premature and an attempt at market timing, but helped me get some welcome sleep as I waited for global calamity.

A few months pass and the expected Tsunami of black swan events, global war and Ebola outbreaks did not occur although the jury is not out on the pandemic. This year, my home insurance is up over 12%, HOA fees up around 5%, property taxes up by 4.5%, etc as they apparently are not paying attention to the published government inflation rate. It appears that my 1.6% money market return is not going to cut the mustard as my withdrawal rate is closer to 4%.

I am looking for suggestions on how to diversify back into the market, but stay relatively conservative, although I understand I need to take on risk to make money. I can safely keep the money in the market for 5-10 years as I have additional funds for the rainy days. Please don't beat me up too much for trying to time the markets. Thanks for any input.
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe a fund like PRSIX would fit your situation. It has a little over 40% in stocks, a little over 46% in bonds, around 10% cash. I am not recommending this fund for you , just maybe one like it. It's a spectrum income fund. It's conservative but there is some exposure to stocks. Fidelity, Vanguard, etc, probably have something like it.

I like it because it's more on the conservative side . At least it gives you something to consider. I should mention the yield is 2.27%.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #3

My go-to conservative fund when I don't know what to do with some money is Vanguard Target Retirement Income (VTINX), it is 30/70, globally diversified, and includes short term TIPS.

Oh, and there are no expected black swan events.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

Oil/energy stocks are cheap now - it was extremely good timing for you to sell and build cash as they are now excellent bargains. At the current share prices, Exxon is paying a dividend over 5%, BP and Royal Dutch (Shell) are over 6%. It's a good time of year to be picking some up. They are all very cyclical - low in the winter, up in the summer.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Psst.... Wellesley.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Psst.... Wellesley.

+1 More money has been lost trying to anticipate a recession than actually being in one.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
+1 More money has been lost trying to anticipate a recession than actually being in one.

Hey that’s funny. I like that!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
In early November, moved 50% of my IRA into money market funds within Fidelity. For sure, it was premature and an attempt at market timing, but helped me get some welcome sleep as I waited for global calamity.

A few months pass and the expected Tsunami of black swan events, global war and Ebola outbreaks did not occur although the jury is not out on the pandemic. This year, my home insurance is up over 12%, HOA fees up around 5%, property taxes up by 4.5%, etc as they apparently are not paying attention to the published government inflation rate. It appears that my 1.6% money market return is not going to cut the mustard as my withdrawal rate is closer to 4%.

I am looking for suggestions on how to diversify back into the market, but stay relatively conservative, although I understand I need to take on risk to make money. I can safely keep the money in the market for 5-10 years as I have additional funds for the rainy days. Please don't beat me up too much for trying to time the markets. Thanks for any input.
Sounds like you're still trying to time the market.

Choose your AA, invest your cash accordingly, and then leave it alone except to rebalance.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote